X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• bigger is better?

something to think about for seme?

https://www.theguardian.com/science/...study-suggests

There's a nat geo special that I've talked about before that shows similar things in human and ape behaviour for taking up space.

The full episode is here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IF0UC7VTx1A

Try this in an elevator sometime. Stand in a slouched manner, with shoulders forwards, feet together, hands clasped infront of your crotch, look down and make yourself small.

Next time, stand tall, with your legs shoulder wide, arms outwards, head up looking forwards.

The first one, people will stand close together to you. The second, they will stand further back as you are occupying and dominating the space around you.

This has immediate applications to kendo and iaido in both seme, and maintaining your balance. If you watch kendo kata it is very obvious who understands this and who doesn't, as there is far more to kata in iaido and kendo that just waza/choreography.

Comment

Living in Japan, the lifts are either really small or very crowded. My seme has no effect on how close people stand next to me here... and unfortunately no effect on anyone over 4dan either

Comment

Originally posted by dillon View Post
        Living in Japan, the lifts are either really small or very crowded. My seme has no effect on how close people stand next to me here... and unfortunately no effect on anyone over 4dan either
        This makes me think of my eldest son. He's 6'4" and weighs about 350 pounds. Long red hair halfway down his back, and a large bushy beard (he makes me think of an extra from a Viking movie). He told me that when he's in Japan, he's had people just stand there and refuse to get in the elevator with him when the doors opened, despite the fact that there was plenty of room.

Comment

Originally posted by pgsmith View Post

This makes me think of my eldest son. He's 6'4" and weighs about 350 pounds. Long red hair halfway down his back, and a large bushy beard (he makes me think of an extra from a Viking movie). He told me that when he's in Japan, he's had people just stand there and refuse to get in the elevator with him when the doors opened, despite the fact that there was plenty of room.
          When I was living in Japan, I had a friend who was - honest to god - 7 foot tall. I got onto a train with him once and inside the carriage was an entire junior high volleyball girls team. They collectively screamed when they saw him. I felt bad for the guy, but he just turned to me and said "Happens all the time".

We should get my mate and your son together for a night out in Japan. Let the hilarity ensue.

Comment

I have a nice , very hot, cup of coffee ready for man spreaders when I get on public transport.

Comment

Working...
            X