Gibbo-sensei

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gibbo-sensei

Big congratulations to former KW stalwart Stuart Gibson, who passed rokudan in Nagoya yesterday. Passing anything past 3 dan in Japan these days is getting pretty rough, doing it on your first try is fantastic. He is well-chuffed I am sure.

Outstanding!

Thanks for letting us know Neil.

Comment

Originally posted by Neil Gendzwill View Post
      Passing anything past 3 dan in Japan these days is getting pretty rough, .
      Is that right? Are they tightening up the screws on promotions over there now?

Comment

Have been for some time, pass rates are under 20% for rokudan typically.

Comment

Logged in for the first time in years to say congrats big guy. First attempt is not so shabby! I can attest to those pass rates. Sometimes as low as 10%. I'll be making my fourth attempt this November. Last time my two (Japanese) opponents said it was their 14th and 18th attempts respectively.

Because of changes to grading panels regs made a while back, Aus and NZ can't run their own high level gradings any more. We have people now who have to travel to Japan just for 5th dan. Thank God for Jetstar! b
          Last edited by ben; 8th June 2016, 07:17 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by ben View Post
            Logged in for the first time in years to say congrats big guy. First attempt is not so shabby! I can attest to those pass rates. Sometimes as low as 10%. I'll be making my fourth attempt this November. Last time my two (Japanese) opponents said it was their 14th and 18th attempts respectively.

Because of changes to grading panels regs made a while back, Aus and NZ can't run their own high level gradings any more. We have people now who have to travel to Japan just for 5th dan. Thank God for Jetstar! b
            I imagine that is still awefully expensive. For me to take my next iaido exam it would cost me 3k or so due to missed work, airfaire, rental car, meals and mandatory multiday camp, even more so if i drove...

Comment

I've had to fly for every single one of my dan, including 3 trips for yondan. We now offer grading for up to sandan here in Saskatoon, but everywhere else in prairie Canada you either drive here for our March grading or fly to one of the Vancouver or Toronto gradings. Airfare to Toronto for me is $CDN600, plus hotel etc. Several sensei are egging me on to test, but at $1000+ to take a swing, I want to make sure I feel ready. I probably won't pass the 1st time, but I don't want to go in knowing I will fail.

Comment

Originally posted by Neil Gendzwill View Post
                I've had to fly for every single one of my dan, including 3 trips for yondan. We now offer grading for up to sandan here in Saskatoon, but everywhere else in prairie Canada you either drive here for our March grading or fly to one of the Vancouver or Toronto gradings. Airfare to Toronto for me is $CDN600, plus hotel etc. Several sensei are egging me on to test, but at $1000+ to take a swing, I want to make sure I feel ready. I probably won't pass the 1st time, but I don't want to go in knowing I will fail.
                Checking in for the first time in a long time, Neil did you go for 7-dan yet? b

Comment

Neil did you go for 7-dan yet?

Comment

Hi, Ben. I took a swing at it in 2016 as I had to be in TO that weekend anyway, and as expected I did not pass. I was in TO on the testing weekend again this past November but did not try it: instead I sat on the grading panel for the lower ranks (they run 2 panels there). I just didn't feel I had enough practice to make any difference: these days I am teaching beginners too much to practice enough for myself.

Comment

That's too bad. I wouldn't have been surprised if you had. Even though I don't know your Kendo, you got 6 dan a long time ago now and it really helped to motivate me to go for it. Yes, personal circumstances have such a big impact on progress at the higher levels: teaching commitments, geography, etc. b

Comment

That's too bad. I wouldn't have been surprised if you had. Even though I don't know your Kendo, you got 6 dan a long time ago now and it really helped to motivate me to go for it. Yes, personal circumstances have such a big impact on progress at the higher levels: teaching commitments, geography, etc. b

Comment

Ben, have you been successful testing for rokudan?

Comment

Working...
                          X