Your opinion on Japanese names

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Your opinion on Japanese names

Tani is the name which I have selected for my baby girl. Want a similar name boy boy as well. Since my coming baby would be son/ daughter. Please suggest.

I've always liked the name Yosuke or Tadashi for guys. Don't know why. Yoshiharu is pretty cool too.

I know you've already selected a name for a girl, but I've always loved the name Chihiro.

Comment

Chihiro could be a boy's name too, although the most well known Chihiro to the West is the female heroine from Spirited Away.

I've asked a Japanese person and Tani (one meaning of which could be "valley") isn't really considered a name in Japanese culture. There's no rule against it but no precedence either. Anyway the main thing is to pick auspicious kanji (both meaning as well as a complex formula concerning number of brush strokes) and see if you like how it (could be) pronounced. For non-Japanese it's better not to get into this minefield without sufficient knowledge.

Comment

Yeah, no. I'm not actually recommending anything. haha I am not Japanese and I don't know what it takes to make a Japanese name. It's usually a lot more complicated than an english name, for example, James. It literally means nothing. It's just James.

Although the name James does have significant culture with hollywood and the english kings of old. *winkey face* (because for some reason you can't even put in the simple keyboard emojis on my computer.)
        Last edited by anjunagasm; 5th August 2016, 11:54 PM.

Comment

@ OP... if you're still considering names I like Teppei. It has different meanings depending on the kanji used, but it rolls off the tongue well (also is a name of a friend of mine in kendo)

Comment

Originally posted by MikeW View Post
            @ OP... if you're still considering names I like Teppei. It has different meanings depending on the kanji used, but it rolls off the tongue well (also is a name of a friend of mine in kendo)
            I agree with this.

Comment

Working...
            X