X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Favourite Samurai Movie

Whats everyones favourite Samurai Movie?, mines The Last Samurai, stop critising me lol, i think the battle scenes are brilliant and the music is great too.

Okamoto's "Sword of Doom." I'm new to kendo and the forums but I still bet you're going to get a lot of flak for The Last Samurai :P.

Although it was a decent film with the exception of Tom Cruises ttt performance.

Comment

Star Wars.

Comment

Akira Kurosawa's 'The Seven Samurai'. When the samurai shaves his head and dons priests' robes to save the child from the kidnapper, he is practicing the best ideals of samurai. He doesn't have to draw his sword in order to defuse the situation, in fact, he takes a decidedly non-violent approach.

Comment

sword of doom had some great fight scenes.

Dont you love the parts where a lone swordsman Pwn a whole batallion?

Comment

the seven samurai...i think i saw that with my dad a while ago.
            last samurai had real potential but as all my friends know, i dont care for tom cruise at all. absolutely terrible.
            joekc6nlx, is your avatar from robot chicken? awesome show!

Comment

The Seven Samurai. Although, The Twlight Samurai is very good since there is actual Kendo in it.

Comment

RK: Reflection.

I cried throu most of the movie. I was watching it with my girlfriend and she just stared at me while I cried and cried. I think that might be one of the reasons why she broke up with me thus I deeply regret watching it. (and most of everything else, I'm just a huge falure at everything I guess. Hell, I can't even spell.)

Comment

Piggy,

Yep, it is Fritz Huhnmorden. I like him because he reminds me of a "claymation" James Coburn.

"Tasegare Seibei" is also a good movie. I can't say I was teary, but it is heartwarming, especially when you understand it's the daughter speaking of her father after he's died in battle. The scene where he successfully scores "do" on his opponent was so quick, you hardly saw it.

Comment

Old:
                    Yojimbo
                    Sanjuro
                    Sword of Doom
                    Seven Samurai
                    Kagemusha
                    Shogun's Samurai
                    Roningai
                    Owl's Castle

New:
                    Tasogare Seibei
                    Kakushi ken Oni no Tsume(The Hidden Blade) By the same director as Tasogare Seibei.
                    Azumi
                    Mibu gishi den (When the last sword is drawn)
                    Samurai Fiction
                    Doraheita

Comment

Just saw Kobayashi Misaki's "Seppuku" (aka "Harakiri") last week. It's fantastic--but not what you could call a upbeat movie. And all the chambara is crammed into the last 15 minutes.

Also, my copy of the Criterion Collection "Sword of Doom" should be arriving any day now. More Nakadai Tetsuya action on the way.

Obviously, the Kurosawa's two Yojimbo films are dope, the first somewhat more than the second. "Ran" is equally terrific with it's gut-wrenching battle scens--ditto "Throne of Blood" with it's naginata-wielding ghosts.

Inagaki Hiroshi's work in the genre definitely desrves praise ("Chusingura" and the "Samurai" trilogy), but for some real creeped out jidaigeki weirdness check out "Onibaba" (an early assay at samurai horror).

Comment

Originally posted by joekc6nlx
                        Piggy,

Yep, it is Fritz Huhnmorden. I like him because he reminds me of a "claymation" James Coburn.

"Tasegare Seibei" is also a good movie. I can't say I was teary, but it is heartwarming, especially when you understand it's the daughter speaking of her father after he's died in battle. The scene where he successfully scores "do" on his opponent was so quick, you hardly saw it.
                        Don't forget that super flying Men Uchi.

Comment

Im guessin you guys and gals did like the Last Samurai BUT with the exception of Tom Cruise, who magically didn't die even though he was faced with cannons, gatling guns, normal firearms etc but hey it's Tom Cruise lol, of course he has to survive it is Hollywood, but i actually think he played an Okish sorta role.

Comment

Think that Kurosawa's work is amazing. The movie that made the biggest impresion on me was however Mibu Gishi Den. My parents rented it since the movie I wanted wasn't avalible. I had never heard about it before and suddenly there it was. It's a wonderful "nostalgic" samurai movie. I don't any other movie which can make grown men cry like only a samurai can.

Comment

Well, i aint ashamed to say 'The Last Samurai' is amongst my fave films of all time. the music is beautiful, the battle scenes excellent. Sure he doesn't die at the end, but are you suprised?
                              I really don't think Hollywood could have made a better pic pertaining to the samurai.
                              i loved it.

edit: for the record, Katsumoto and Ujio were my fave characters anyway. its really them that made the film for me, however, i do think Tom Cruise is an excellent actor and did a good job.

Comment

Working...
                              X