Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2008 GNEUSKF - Cleveland Kendo - 20th Anniversary Tournament

Fellow Kendoka,

We are very proud to announce that the date has been set for the 2008 GNEUSKF Cleveland Kendo Tournament. This is our 20th Anniversary Tournament and we are planning very special event for this year.

So please mark your calendars and pass this on!

Dates: March 28th, 29th, 30th 2008
    Tentative Schedule:
    3/28 Friday Evening: Godo Keiko with invited Sensei from Japan (TBA)
    3/29 Saturday: Taikai + Godo Keiko
    3/30 Sunday: Shinsa + Godo Keiko

Please visit "http://www.clevelandkendo.com" or e-mail to "contact@clevelandkendo.com" for more information as it becomes available.

Warm regards,

Cleveland Kendo Association

Thanks for posting this... I've been keeping an eye/ear out for it.

Comment

jolly good. ..can't wait.

Comment

anybody know what ranks the shinsa will cover?

i'm assuming through 4.dan at least, but I need to know if 5.dan will be tested as well...

Comment

Originally posted by tango View Post
          anybody know what ranks the shinsa will cover?

i'm assuming through 4.dan at least, but I need to know if 5.dan will be tested as well...
          Probably through 4 dan. I believe all AUSKF shinsa of 5 dan and above must be done at the bi-annual board meetings.

Comment

hrmm... ok, thanks..

Comment

Paul... revisiting your statement.... how sure are you about that?

i'm just curious because i suppose i was thinking as long as you have an event where you've got enough folks with the rank for a panel, you'd be good to go...
              ... i see there's a 5-7dan shinsa in bellvue, WA this weekend, for example (course, i dunno if that's coincides with a bi-annual board meeting, as you have suggested)..

??
              i guess in general it might just be hard to get seven 7.dans for the panel anyway...

Comment

disregard... dennis (ralutin) says the same thing as you, paul...

Comment

i'm just curious because i suppose i was thinking as long as you have an event where you've got enough folks with the rank for a panel, you'd be good to go.
                  I don't know if there's an AUSKF rule that says 5 dan and above shinsa can take place only at the bi-annual board meetings. There could be; I just don't know. Maybe someone more knowledgeable could chime in. But I think there's definitely a logistical issue of getting enough high-ranking sensei together in one place.

Comment

yeah.. that's what i'm thinking, too (logistical issue)...

was just thinking that the cleveland tournament is apparently pretty big.. not a bad location for kataoka-sensei, ebihara-sensei, and kato-sensei to get to (I think?).. don't know if maeda-sensei was planning on going (he'd be in the middle of the school semester i would think).. that's 4... then, of course, tagawa-sensei... and maybe ariga-sensei...
                    so that's 6 right off the top of my head..

Comment

Originally posted by Halcyon View Post
                      I don't know if there's an AUSKF rule that says 5 dan and above shinsa can take place only at the bi-annual board meetings. There could be; I just don't know. Maybe someone more knowledgeable could chime in. But I think there's definitely a logistical issue of getting enough high-ranking sensei together in one place.
                      That would be up to the AUSKF testing committee headed by Murakami sensei. I'll have to agree with Paul that logistics play a part in setting up shinsa panels and that you're sure to have enough high ranking sensei at the bi-annual board meetings to come up with the appropriate testing panel. I can ask Murakami sensei if there's a specific AUSKF rule on the frequency of 5-7 dan shinsa.

Comment

dennis, that would be nice, but i'd prefer you not have to go out of your way to do that...

our head instructor is (well over)due and he's indicated he'd like to go for it..... so i thought i would try and find out on my own when the next one was...

Comment

our head instructor is (well over)due and he's indicated he'd like to go for it..... so i thought i would try and find out on my own when the next one was...
                          After the one in Bellvue, Wash., this weekend, the next one would be sometime in April or May. The board members will probably pick the location for that board meeting and shinsa at the board meeting this weekend.

Comment

cool.. thanks, fellas..

Comment

Originally posted by Halcyon View Post
                              Probably through 4 dan. I believe all AUSKF shinsa of 5 dan and above must be done at the bi-annual board meetings.
                              In the past, there have been kodansha shinsa after national championships (e.g. Cleveland '96) and also the recent national summer camp in Atlanta.

Michael

Comment

Working...
                              X