Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Northern Ireland Kendo Federation

Hello Kendo world forum members,

I would proudly like to introduce the new NORTHERN IRELAND KENDO FEDERATION.

The first dojo in our federation will be: Belfast,County Antrim Kendo Club.

We will not be connected to the BKA(British Kendo Association), the federation will be it's own. The federation will operate similar to the Hawaii Kendo Federation that is seperate from the AUSKF.

We will soon be applying to the EKF and FIK.

The federation will have more news soon and a new website to follow and all membership requirements.

Mike Kirwin
    President Northern Ireland Kendo Federation

Good luck.... you will need it!!!

Comment

Good luck to you !

regards

Phil..

Comment

As Northern Ireland is part of the UK and the BKA is the recognised group for kendo/jodo/iaido in the UK then my guess is you wont get affiliation to the EKF or FIK.

Comment

Kenshi,Phil thank you for the good luck wishes. Moose we understand this, but we will push forward, the main point being able to push and promote kendo in Northern Ireland though our federation.

Mike Kirwin 6th Dan Renshi
          President Northern Ireland Kendo Federation

Comment

Then why set up a Federation? Nothing you do, your gradings etc will not be recognized.... Who will you compete against? the British Kendo Renmei?

Comment

sorry to burst your bubble, but you have no chance whatsoever of getting affiliated to the EKF/IKF.
              They will simply tell you to join the BKA. The EKF/IKF won't even discuss it with you once they find you are based in northern ireland.

Would it not be better to link up with the experienced clubs and coaches in the BKA and develop kendo in northern ireland that way?

What do you think you can gain from going it alone in a 1 club federation?

Comment

This sounds wonderful. First, congratulations, there have been many people over the yeas wanting to do Kendo in Northern Irelend. It's great that there's a club for people there now. As a Belfast person (born and bred) I am a frequent visitor. I look forward to being able to train with you guys. My wife and I visited Dublin Kendo club at Christmas time and had excellent training and a very warm welcome. Another club in Belfast is great news.
                I wish there had been a club there back in the 70's, as I might hae begun traiing at a young age then. Anyway, I hope others will now have that opportunity. Good luck.
                By the way, how many of you are there?

Comment

Originally posted by Moose View Post
                  Then why set up a Federation? Nothing you do, your gradings etc will not be recognized.... Who will you compete against? the British Kendo Renmei?
                  If we can't get recognition from the EKF,FIK, we have a high grade sensei that will set up testing in another European country for us as members of their dojo.

We can always enter "open tournments" as there is alot around Europe.

Comment

I can't see many new members flocking to join that sort of set up.

Comment

Originally posted by septern View Post
                      sorry to burst your bubble, but you have no chance whatsoever of getting affiliated to the EKF/IKF.
                      They will simply tell you to join the BKA. The EKF/IKF won't even discuss it with you once they find you are based in northern ireland.

Would it not be better to link up with the experienced clubs and coaches in the BKA and develop kendo in northern ireland that way?

What do you think you can gain from going it alone in a 1 club federation?
                      Septern

That has yet to be determined concerning the EKF as you can't really speak for them.

As far as experience. I have over 20 years of Kendo experience in the AUSKF and I'm a 6th Dan Renshi.

Comment

Originally posted by Kirwin33 View Post
                        .......we have a high grade sensei that will set up testing in another European country for us as members of their dojo.

So technically they will be members of another Dojo and and therefore another federation....

Comment

Originally posted by don don View Post
                          This sounds wonderful. First, congratulations, there have been many people over the yeas wanting to do Kendo in Northern Irelend. It's great that there's a club for people there now. As a Belfast person (born and bred) I am a frequent visitor. I look forward to being able to train with you guys. My wife and I visited Dublin Kendo club at Christmas time and had excellent training and a very warm welcome. Another club in Belfast is great news.
                          I wish there had been a club there back in the 70's, as I might hae begun traiing at a young age then. Anyway, I hope others will now have that opportunity. Good luck.
                          By the way, how many of you are there?
                          Thanks for the well wishes Don Don, we will be starting with around ten members to begin with and we really hope to develop a good program in Northern Ireland.

Comment

Originally posted by Kirwin33 View Post

As far as experience. I have over 20 years of Kendo experience in the AUSKF and I'm a 6th Dan Renshi.

In that case you should know why Hawaii isn't part of the AUSKF..... a bit different from Northern Ireland.

Comment

Best of luck with setting up your club, but you should ask someone on the ekf committee about affiliation before you start the process to see what is involved

Only 1 federation per country is recognised

unfortunately in your case northern Ireland comes under the remit of the bka.

You should ask the people in Cumann Kendo na hEireann (Republic of Ireland Kendo Federation) about what affiliation involved for them .

Also, when Cumann Kendo na hEireann became a member of the EKF, the EKF said at the time that Kna hE only covered the republic of ireland and that at any time if a dojo opened up in northern Ireland that it would be under the remit of the bka

Comment

Working...
                              X