Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shiai BKA Kyusha Taikai 2008

The application form is now available on kendo.org.uk

Deadline is September 15th, location is Imperial College London.

I recommend that if you are a kyu grade in the UK, GO!

I did really bad when I went but it was good crack, met some KWFers in the flesh and got some shiai experience. It's quite a well organised event too... there was a refereeing seminar for nidan+ last time too

Comment

No this time, it's a shame.

Highly, very highly recommended. A perfect place to learn what a taikai is.

Comment

Revival!

Is any going to the kyusha taikai this weekend? Thought I'd mention it as it is only a couple of days away.

Comment

Originally posted by Mokujin77 View Post
          Is any going to the kyusha taikai this weekend? Thought I'd mention it as it is only a couple of days away.
          You kicking ass again this year?

Best of luck (if you are) dude, unleash hell.

Comment

Originally posted by JoDuncan View Post
            You kicking ass again this year?

Best of luck (if you are) dude, unleash hell.
            I shall be attending. As for kicking ass, that's debatable! It's (hopefully) my last chance to take part so there's no way I was going to miss it - I turned down over-time, invites from friends and am also having to turn up (very) late for a mate's wedding reception so I could get involved!

Thanks for good wishes, dude.

Comment

Gomen Nasai

I read BKA Kyushu Taikai 2008. I wondered how many people could afford to travel there just for a taikai.But I see it's Kyusha... My mistake carry on.

Comment

I just recieved the following information from the BKA Squad Manager -

Hello everyone,

I am afraid I need to inform you, that due to a clerical error, we are
                unable to use the advertised venue for the Kyusha Taikai.

The new venue is:-

Wilson House Sports Centre
                Rainsford Street (off Southwick Street)
                Paddington
                W2 1UF
                Tel. no. 020 7594 3665

Timings are virtually identical as before:-
                #Kyusha Taikai 11.00am - 5.00pm
                # Referees meeting for the kyusha taikai will start at 11.00
                # Registration for taikai from 11.00-11.30am
                # Taikai to start 12.00

If you know anyone who has entered this competition can you make sure
                that they get this new address.

Sorry for the very short notice, but I have only just found out.
                Please don't use this as an opportunity to slag off the BKA as this is clearly an unfortunate clerical error, which is beyond anyone's control.

Comment

I just got the information and updated the website. Its a bit of a last minute change so I hope everyone can rearrange their travel ok.

Comment

heres a map of the venue, it is still an Imperial College campus but not in South Ken, this one is in Paddington.

https://halls.imperial.ac.uk/wilson/...p?s=info&p=dir

To reaffirm what Andy said, this is obviously an unfortunate error on the part of the venue and not a reflection of BKA organization. The old venue had been booked for months.

Comment

Originally posted by D'Artagnan View Post
                      an unfortunate clerical error, which is beyond anyone's control.
                      4th level Cleric with the 'healing light' spell failed his success roll, needing 8 or higher on a D12. I smite him with my Hammer of Might for his incompetence!

Comment

I would like to state for the record that I feel INCREDIBLY sorry for the guys who came down from Liverpool and (sweet Jebus) Scotland for the kyusha taikai that...er...wasn't.

Just wasn't.

Comment

I would like to state for the record that I feel INCREDIBLY sorry for the guys who came down from Liverpool and (sweet Jebus) Scotland for the kyusha taikai that...er...wasn't.

Just wasn't.
                          Oh G.O.D. oh G.O.D. you're kidding, right? [but somehow I know you're not]. Does this mean we 'win by default'. Still if they had any sense they should have hot-footed it over to Wakaba for an afternoons bash. I would have done if I'd have been with them.

I will look forward to their misery on Wednesday as with a bit of luck this will have been their 'last chance to dance' at the Kyusha Taikai. Now that honour has been denied them.

Damn those clerics! Damn them all to hell!

Comment

Just wasn't.
                            I wouldn't have been happy driving down from Coventry . . . Liverpool and Scotland is not funny in the slightest really

Comment

Unfortunately the floor that the leisure centre provided was not appropriate for a Taikai or for Fumi komi and would have caused injury. It was just too hard and was not the sprung wood floor that had been requested.

The Sensei present explained the situation and their concerns to the participants and it was decided that a Grading seminar would be held instead, so that those who had travelled a long distance could still enjoy a day of kendo with the high grades.

I have heard from the participants that the seminar went very well and was enjoyed by everyone who attended.

The Kyusha Taikai has not been cancelled this year, just postponed. I imagine that it will be held later this year at a more suitable venue. Hopefully this will allow those who missed out on competeing a chance to takepart before the end of the year.

Whilst this was a very unfortunate turn of events I think we should give our thanks to the high grades present. Who organised an enjoyable and interesting seminar regardless, and made something positive out of the situation. Special thanks to Matsumoto Sensei, Davis Sensei, and Salmon Sensei who all worked hard to give us a chance to practice together and learn from some great teachers.

Comment

Working...
                              X