Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

14th WKC Twitter

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Originally posted by Tsunemori View Post
    From http://twitter.com/auskendotwit

    Australia, Finland and Hawaii all tied in their pools with 3 draws and 1 win each, however Australia went through by points.
    Very interesting, I knew that the Hawaii Kendo Federation was separate from the AUSKF, but I didn't realize that also extended to having their own team for the World Championships.

    Comment


    • Believe this is due to the fact Hawaii's federation is much older than the USA one, so they can pitch a separate team at WKC events...the most inspiring guy I saw was Henry in the WKC 1997 Kyoto...real fast kote from underneath...

      Comment


      • Not quite right

        Originally posted by Budo Angel View Post
        Believe this is due to the fact Hawaii's federation is much older than the USA one, so they can pitch a separate team at WKC events...the most inspiring guy I saw was Henry in the WKC 1997 Kyoto...real fast kote from underneath...
        I wouldn't say that the Hawaii federation is much older than the mainland federation. Actually I think they are the same age, circa 1970. When the FIK was formed there were only 16 prospective members, one of which was Hawaii which was many hours from the mainland US and had a long tradition of kendo. Due to several GOB problems and the fact that numbers were important and Hawaii had a strong kendo team (see early results of WKC's) they joined as a separate entity as well as Okinawa. About 2000 there was a discussion at the FIK board meeting about Hawaii and a couple of others and they were grandfathered in to remain as separate members.
        When and if HKF changes their collective mind and AUSKF agrees they may become part of the whole. The other thing that could happen is that the current or future FIK directors and General Assembly could decide to end the membership of Macao/Hong Kong/Hawaii and any other federation that fall into this catagory.

        Comment


        • Bring on the Cornwall Kendo Federation, dreckly!

          Comment


          • sorta

            Originally posted by jmarsten View Post
            I wouldn't say that the Hawaii federation is much older than the mainland federation. Actually I think they are the same age, circa 1970. When the FIK was formed there were only 16 prospective members, one of which was Hawaii which was many hours from the mainland US and had a long tradition of kendo. Due to several GOB problems and the fact that numbers were important and Hawaii had a strong kendo team (see early results of WKC's) they joined as a separate entity as well as Okinawa.

            The Hawaii Kendo Federation has a bit of a different story. I'm sure Aloho Pride plays a part, but the abbreviated history can be found here: http://www.hawaiikendo.com/history.html

            Basically, the HKF was formed in 1947 and renamed in 1955. Joined AJKF in 1959, became independent in 1972 and joined IKF in 1988. Dr. Jinichi Tokeshi goes into more detail in his book "Kendo: Elements, Rules and Philosophy"

            At least, that's the story here.



            Mal

            Comment


            • I have linked in this thread all the clips available by now:

              http://www.kendo-forum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=27

              Comment


              • Originally posted by Budo Angel View Post
                Wow reading the above...Team GB (Brits) got one fight win against USA (3-1, one draw)... do we know who won their fight in the team match ?!?
                Er.........

                Comment


                • Ah hah!

                  Originally posted by The great I AM View Post
                  Er.........
                  That's my boy! How did you fare in the individuals?

                  Comment


                  • Originally posted by Fonsz View Post
                    That's my boy! How did you fare in the individuals?
                    Very, VERY, badly. To keep it succinct, I was shit.

                    Comment


                    • Oh.

                      Originally posted by The great I AM View Post
                      Very, VERY, badly. To keep it succinct, I was shit.
                      Sorry I asked I trust that the lessons (eventually) learned will enhance your progress.

                      Comment


                      • do we know who won their fight in the team match ?!?
                        Er.........
                        That's my boy! How did you fare in the individuals?
                        Gibbo, don't be so hard on yourself, whispers tell me, since you've been living in the Rising Sun, you're style & presence has improved hugely, add to that your superflying men cuts you had whilst in Blighty...sure you're still serious a force to be reaconed with (not just on fart jokes), most of us Brits will be looking out on the BKA website for Andy F's 'blog' (or WKC report). Hope the WKC experience for you overall wasn't so succinctly 'shit' as you put it...Gambatte

                        Comment

                        Working...
                        X