X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2010 Kendo World Championships?

stumbled upon this on facebook and was wondering if it's the real deal. anyone going? know of any coverage?

http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=285457492241

for you non-facebookers:

Description:

Start Time:
    Wednesday, April 28, 2010 at 12:00am
    End Time:
    Thursday, April 29, 2010 at 9:00am

ALL Invites are meant to also include those who will be viewing commentary.

THIS EVENT IS SOLD OUT!!!!! Congratulations to those that have secured a seat!

This is going to be the 2010 Kendo World Championships.
    A 2 day event! 2 arenas, 64 competitors, single elimination.
    Winner take all!

The 1st place winner receives the following:

Katana Sword
    Trophy
    $100,000 (or that country's equivalent)

2nd, 3rd, and 4th get a handshake and a well done as well as the prestige of placing in the top 4.

The times reflect EST that way if you want to watch the commentary( yes there will be commentary) you can at these times.

More details to come as we get closer to "go" time.

"To strengthen the mind over the body, and to push the body beyond endurance through determination and sheer will, this raises the spirit.
    In the union of mind, body and spirit the rewards are potentially limitless." - Bruce Lee

TEAM USA BIOs:

Robert Bower- (Team captain) Born in Houston Texas, I started taking Wing Chun kung fu at the age of 6.
    Twenty years later, I moved to North Dakota and wanted to find another martial art to study. I FOUND IT! Kendo (meaning way of the sword) I have been studying it for 10 years now and this is the first time to the world championships! On a more personal note. I have a beautiful wife named Kristin and 2 boys named Eric and Greg, who are both in their 2nd year of Kendo themselves.

Glen Croiden- About me... OK you all asked for it! I am 28 years of age. I live in Virginia with my Beagle, Patsy. After taking Shotokan Karate for several years, I took up Kendo because I wanted to learn to use the samurai sword properly. This is my second year competing but the first year on team USA. I am TOTALLY PSYCHED! that I will be facing the best in the world in 3 weeks! Go TEAM!

Emmanuel Crabtree- Wow ok the other 2 beat me to it. Well Here I go. Grew up in a sleepy little harbor town (Northport, Long Island) Came from a family of humble origins. Had a bit of a rough time in School with bullies and such, so started taking Isshin ryu Karate. Competed in that for several years, won a world amateur championship and held it for a few years. Then like the other guys here I wanted to learn the sword. Moved around a lot and took Kendo where ever I found a school. Currently, I live in Delaware and I have 8 years of Kendo Experience now and this is the first year I am competing in it and also the first time the the world championships. Glad to be among these great guys. Good luck to us all!

THIS YEAR'S CURRENT STANDINGS :

Robert Bower - Ranked 57 (42 - 22 - 3)

Glen Croiden - Ranked 12 (51 - 14 - 2)

Manny Crabtree - Ranked 2 (64 - 1 - 2)

Well, it's a real something...

Short answer- No.

Comment

Actually it's kind of funny - if you google "Manny Crabtree" you will find at least 3 different martial arts forums where he posts something like "anyone ever heard of Manny Crabtree" with a brand-new account, then replies with another brand new account something to the effect of "I heard he's awesome and is doing kendo now".

Comment

wow. how bizarre. thanks for the heads up.

Comment

Originally posted by Neil Gendzwill View Post
          Actually it's kind of funny - if you google "Manny Crabtree" you will find at least 3 different martial arts forums where he posts something like "anyone ever heard of Manny Crabtree" with a brand-new account, then replies with another brand new account something to the effect of "I heard he's awesome and is doing kendo now".
          This thread's a good one:

They say if you go in a bathroom and turn off the light and say manny crabtree three times fast you can still hear him crying......and typing...whilst he creates multiple accounts on an internet forum to shamelessly self promote himself and resurrect the good ol' days.

Comment

Originally posted by Neil Gendzwill View Post
            robert bower appears to be just around the corner from you in vancouver [/sarcasm] ...you should check him out..

Comment

Manny Crabtree - http://www.facebook.com/event.php?ei...?id=1850559142
              Robert Bower - http://www.facebook.com/event.php?ei...00000290730559
              Glen Croiden - http://www.facebook.com/event.php?ei...00000174096093

somebody put on their gumshoes and make friends with them..

incredible that if you plug those names into google (i used "emmanuel crabtree") and then "+kendo", the one and only link google can come up with is this world championship link provided in the original post.
              Last edited by tango; 28th April 2010, 09:51 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by garyt View Post

THIS YEAR'S CURRENT STANDINGS :

Robert Bower - Ranked 57 (42 - 22 - 3)

Glen Croiden - Ranked 12 (51 - 14 - 2)

Manny Crabtree - Ranked 2 (64 - 1 - 2)
                They are ranked like tennis? Ah I just love bullshido!

Comment

Emmanuel Crabtree- Wow ok the other 2 beat me to it. Well Here I go. Grew up in a sleepy little harbor town (Northport, Long Island) Came from a family of humble origins. Had a bit of a rough time in School with bullies and such, so started taking Isshin ryu Karate. Competed in that for several years, won a world amateur championship and held it for a few years. Then like the other guys here I wanted to learn the sword. Moved around a lot and took Kendo where ever I found a school. Currently, I live in Delaware and I have 8 years of Kendo Experience now and this is the first year I am competing in it and also the first time the the world championships. Glad to be among these great guys. Good luck to us all!
                  8 yrs of kendo experience and in his first year of competition, he's ranked 2nd in the world?
                  ....or maybe that's 2nd in the U.S.??

either way, that's impressive.

Comment

Originally posted by tango View Post
                    8 yrs of kendo experience and in his first year of competition, he's ranked 2nd in the world?
                    ....or maybe that's 2nd in the U.S.??

either way, that's impressive.
                    It's actually really sad to be ranked Nr. 2 at a fake 1 man event o__O

Comment

so, uh, apparently this happened:
                      "Hanzo Fujigawa takes 2nd and Crabtree takes First! He will receive the sword tomorrow evening at the awards dinner! WAY TO GO CHAMP!"

Comment

He must be a descendant of Hattori Hanzo.

Comment

Who's going to be the first to set up a CafePress account and make some Manny Crabtree tees? I see "Vote for Manny" and "Manny Crabtree is my Homeboy". Unfortunately.

b

Comment

Originally posted by ben View Post
                            Who's going to be the first to set up a CafePress account and make some Manny Crabtree tees? I see "Vote for Manny" and "Manny Crabtree is my Homeboy". Unfortunately.

b
                            Sign me up for one! Hallelujah, I'm a believer.

Comment

Originally posted by b8amack View Post
                              He must be a descendant of Hattori Hanzo.
                              All I can think of is the 5 point exploding heart technique... You think Mr. Crab use that technique to win the champ?

Comment

Working...
                              X