Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I humbly propose a few changes to the rules that may prevent the kind of undesirable behavior we saw in the 15th WKC. I don't imagine that FIK or AJKF will ever hear about what is written here, let alone adapting any proposal. But it is nice to throw my ideas out here and see some reactions. I have always admired the many thoughtful posts in these forums, written by individuals who truly care about kendo.

These changes apply to the scoring system. Right now the winner is determined by whoever that scores 2 points first, or has a 1-point advantage before the match time runs out. In encho, the outcome is determined by sudden death.

The first proposed change is that victory goes to whoever that gains a 2-point advantage over his/her opponent, period.

Here are some scenarios under this rule:

2-0: victory is determined, the match stops.

1-0: no winner. If time ends, it will still go to encho.
    Note that this will prevent someone who scored first to use delaying tactics to win, like tsubazeriai or tying up the opponent's shinai. He *has* to remain offensive to gain the 2-point advantage -- this also opens up chances for his opponent to even the match.

The following scores at the end of regulation time will trigger encho:
    0-0
    1-0
    1-1
    2-1
    2-2

Here you may say: "This is nuts. We will have endless encho if the two players keep scoring alternately!" Yes, so here a new rule is needed.

Second proposed change: the maximum total number of points awarded in a match is 5.

The implication is that, once the score becomes 2-2, the next point automatically becomes sudden death. I think this is realistic: In a real duel with swords, if you are already cut twice, you are probably gravely wounded. One more cut should be fatal.

As for the team competition, we saw another problem that was plaguing the 15th WKC: a team that scores a couple of early victories will try to dance around the court, tie up the opponent, or do anything to reach a draw in subsequent matches. A simple change could change this...

Third proposed change: there must be a win/lose outcome in every team match; there is no draw.

If there is no draw in individuals competition, then why should there be draws in teams?

There is one foreseeable flaw to these changes. The matches may take too long. Thus we do not have to implement these throughout the entire tournament -- just for the final or possibly the semi-finals (maybe just to WKC?).

I hope these changes will improve competition without changing the spirit of kendo. Some other proposals, such as an electronic scoring system, would surely turn WKC into an Olympic event.

As for making the shimpans more fair and less biased, I still have no clue.

Actually, I do have this crazy idea. We could remove all identifiable markings off all competitors, no zekken, no embroidery, no (sorry, Korea) white kendogi. Only the red and white flags on their backs. It will make it harder for the shimpans to assume which player in the court is stronger. Of course, if they try hard enough, they can still see the faces through the helmet, or guess from the body shape / body language.

Comment

You're basically proposing 5 point matches with a 2 point mercy rule. They would take forever. Similarly, allowing encho in team would take a really long time.

I don't think there's any need to rejigger the rules. Down that path we could become like the IJF, forever tweaking rules to get the matches to resemble their vision of what judo should look like.

Most senior people understand what kendo should look like. The rules have enough latitude to allow the shimpan to make it happen. They just need to do it.

Comment

Interesting idea but I think the current system is fine.

Your system will result in long fights, especially when between two closely-matched people. With a full day competition, maybe it would be too exhausting.

More focus should be put on how the match is controlled / managed by the shinpan-cho. Hint of time stalling in tsubazeriai, call wakare. Two or three times, hansoku.

Comment

FWIW, rules to prevent the one-ippon-turtle-up have been implemented by Japan at several competitions (always in individuals however) without the need for additional points or rules. In several tournaments, after a certain stage, matches become 10 mins long.

Comment

I think rule is already there. Enforcing rule is always harder than making one. More rule, more processing and confusion. My suggestion is to focus on your daily training.... That is the most important topic of whole dilema...

Comment

Originally posted by flyingteddy View Post
              I respectfully disagree that shinpans are on the Japanese side.
              In terms of the team final, I would even say that they were a little on the Korean side, not giving serious warnings to bad mannerism in the shiai-jo, staring the shinpans, and the look of total disbelief after losing an ippon.
              But that's probably because of the lack of shinpan training/experience outside of Japan, they were unsure how to deal with the situation.

Just my $0.02.
              If you are referring to my post, that's not the meaning of it.

Comment

Originally posted by rainmaker View Post
                From watching this video, I maybe wrong. But I don't think it was Do at first. I think Shodai sensei hit Korean guys zakken. Also, Shodai sensei should get hansoku for pushing, but also Korean players hit his kote couple of times.... I maybe wrong... but only from watching this video... I would get frustrated if I am fighting for my country and this things happen to me....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dy47l5FOSuk
                Look for different angles. Look at 2:09 here

Comment

Originally posted by Curtis View Post
                  If you are referring to my post, that's not the meaning of it.
                  Not really. It's just my opinion on the matter that I'm sensing some people may think shinpans are favoring the Japanese.

Comment

Did shinai hit the Do and slide to zekken ?? I still cannot see it clear...

Originally posted by Koban View Post

Comment

Originally posted by Koban View Post
                      That's a brilliant compliation, nice find! Even just have a quick look at a couple of the points it has already shown the shinpans' decisions to have been more on the money than I thought.

b

Comment

I'll chime in for just a little.

I watched the men's team final chuuken match. Two things struck me, and will remain with me for a long time to come: The thunderous applause of the crowd when the Korean player offered his hand to the fallen Japanese, and the equally thunderous booing after the Japanese player refused to extend the same courtesy to his opponent. The audience's reactions speak far, far more eloquently than I could manage right now.

Comment

I think they were booing because judge didn't give Korean guy a point for Kote....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IiXXPAv5t5Y
                          see. 5:23

I have to say where do they learn booing from ???

Originally posted by Anorymous View Post
                          I'll chime in for just a little.

I watched the men's team final chuuken match. Two things struck me, and will remain with me for a long time to come: The thunderous applause of the crowd when the Korean player offered his hand to the fallen Japanese, and the equally thunderous booing after the Japanese player refused to extend the same courtesy to his opponent. The audience's reactions speak far, far more eloquently than I could manage right now.

Comment

I think they were booing because judge didn't give Korean guy a point for Kote....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IiXXPAv5t5Y
                            see. 5:23

I have to say where do they learn booing from ???
                            Could be from when the WKC was held in Korea.....

Comment

Originally posted by Curtis View Post
                              Could be from when the WKC was held in Korea.....
                              Was that the one where they booed and threw stuff on to the court or was it later. Now I'm a little fuzzy on it.

Comment

Did shinai hit the Do and slide to zekken ?? I still cannot see it clear...
                                It hit the do. There was no dispute about it. I was there and it took me a while to pick my jaw up off the ground.

Comment

Working...
                                X