X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2012 MWFK Summer Camp?

Just wonder if anyone here has been the MWKF summer camp and maybe can tell me more of what to expect? I've been thinking of signing up, but I am completely unranked. Just wondering if I will be completely out of my depth if I sign up. I'll have been in full bogu for about 4 months at that point.

I attended my first MWKF summer camp at the earliest stages of my kendo career. I would heartily recommend going. Everyone there is divided into ability oriented groups with one of them being for mudansha such as yourself. Don't think that this means you'll be ignored. One of the visiting 8 dans (Saito sensei in years past) will be instructing your group. The kendo will be great, but in my opinion, the best part is getting to meet some other people in the federation, be inspired by the visiting sensei and making some great friends (and yes, being up all night only to get up and do kata at 6am).

I highly recommend the event to anyone considering, but especially recommend it to folks just getting their feet wet. I can recall a significant number of current friends, some who do kendo, some who have taken a bit of a break that I met at my first summer camp and wouldn't trade the experience for anything.

Comment

I wish we have summer camp like yours... That would be fun----- just go when you can. Try to attend all seminars, Godo keikos and competitions... More you experience, you will understand what kendo you want to do....

Comment

Just go. The camp gets divided into at least two groups. Yamanka sensei takes care of those below shodan. Saito sensei those above shodan. This year, we are discussing the possibility of a third group that Tagawa sensei would take care of at the 4-dan and above level. You'll be really hard put to find a regional camp that has not one, not two but three 8-dan sensei.

Disclaimer I am currently MWKF VP of Education so my comments may be biased ;-)

Comment

Ro san, I know its a long trip for you but the MidWest camp is a great time. I learned a lot when Tokunaga san and I went a few years ago (even tho I was sick as a dog most of the trip) and I heartily encourage any kenshi that can go to do so.

That said, the SEUSKF is thinking of doing a camp of some kind but no specific plans so far. We may try to do ours not during summer so maybe a Winter camp, but like I said it may or may not happen.

For the OP, if you are in bogu you should definitely go if you are able. No matter what your current level of kendo is I am sure you can learn a lot.
          Last edited by MikeW; 4th June 2012, 12:59 AM.

Comment

We are trying to organize regular godo keiko here in Florida... We are trying to figure out how many kenshis can join...

Originally posted by MikeW View Post
            Ro san, I know its a long trip for you but the MidWest camp is a great time. I learned a lot when Tokunaga san and I went a few years ago (even tho I was sick as a dog most of the trip) and I heartily encourage any kenshi that can go to do so.

That said, the SEUSKF is thinking of doing a camp of some kind but no specific plans so far. We may try to do ours not during summer so maybe a Winter camp, but like I said it may or may not happen.

For the OP, if you are in bogu you should definitely go if you are able. No matter what your current level of kendo is I am sure you can learn a lot.

Comment

I can't agree more. A definite must go!

Comment

But I would love to go to summer camp if it is near me....

Comment

It's a great time - you should not hesitate to go.
                  I've been to MWKF camp a couple times in the beginner's class, and you'll be fine. Yamanaka sensei is a great teacher (and a pretty cool guy) and you'll learn a lot.

There should be a lot of others right around your level. There will also be a lot of higher ranks, and they're all really helpful, if you get a chance to practice with them.

What else to expect - a lot of kendo. Schedule goes pretty fast.
                  Have fun!

Comment

Originally posted by rfoxmich View Post
                    Just go. The camp gets divided into at least two groups. Yamanka sensei takes care of those below shodan. Saito sensei those above shodan. This year, we are discussing the possibility of a third group that Tagawa sensei would take care of at the 4-dan and above level. You'll be really hard put to find a regional camp that has not one, not two but three 8-dan sensei.
                    Is that Yamanaka Shigeki from Saitama?

Comment

Thanks everyone. I am signing up. I will see you in August.

Comment

Are there any forms available? I tried going to the Midwest Kendo Federation page and it just says that the page is unavailable.

Comment

If you PM me your email, I can forward you the ones I have.

Comment

Try this.
                            https://docs.google.com/open?id=1_CT...0qWpu-qoykP4E-
                            https://docs.google.com/open?id=1aO9...WYNjZoE5T7SQQ6

I put the docs I have on google docs.

Comment

Yes it is.

Originally posted by Lloromannic View Post
                              Is that Yamanaka Shigeki from Saitama?

Comment

Working...
                              X