X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2004 Australian Uni Games

Anyone go to this years uni games? What did you think?

I thought it was a great day and was really impressed with the amount of kendoka in the kyu grades - some were really really good in shiai as well.

I never been to Aust Nationals before, but would anyone who's been to both comment on the difference in skill in the kyu grades? (I figured in theory the uni games would be a decent interstate warm up before nationals next year?)
    Last edited by Stephen; 26th October 2004, 05:29 PM.

Originally posted by Stephen
    Anyone go to this years uni games? What did you think?

I thought it was a great day and was really impressed with the amount of kendoka in the kyu grades - some were really really good in shiai as well.

I never been to Aust Nationals before, but would anyone who's been to both comment on the difference in skill in the kyu grades? (I figured in theory the uni games would be a decent interstate warm up before nationals next year?)

What are the Uni Games??? Sounds interesting.

Comment

I wasn't there but I heard that the University of New South Wales kendo team put up a good fight!

Comment

The uni games are held once a year and include pretty much all sports....As far as I know its the only time other than nationals that we really get to compete against kendoka from other states (it might be different in the eastern states?)...definatley a good way to spend a day..

Yeh, Uni of NSW were really impressive, especially Ohtusuka (he came 2nd in the kyu grade individuals)..they also came 3rd in both the kyu and open teams as well as a third in the Dan individuals....I'm kinda hangin out till nationals and uni games next year to get to practice with them again (David Forester was a really nice guy and offered me some good advice)..

Although I'm biased, I'm pretty happy to see WA doing so well (first in both individuals and the dan teams)

Comment

there was uni games? interesting.. guessed we missed out on that info..

Comment

Yoshiki Ohtsuka is indeed a kendo machine - and a nice guy to boot!

Comment

Yep, I'll second that...we had a few laughs after the shiai was over, a nice guy (although he gave me a hiding in jigeiko afterwards) ...

Comment

What Steve didn't mention was that he came first in the kyu division, and with a foot injury to boot! Woohoo!

Comment

hahahaha, thanks T, now I'm all embarased

Comment

Hey Steve!

Guess who from Goshinkai???

Did you see your pics at the website? Who's T?

Yeah Steve kicked some butt for Individuals!!!

standard was a great overall for AUG.

Comment

Guess who?? ummmmmm...white hakama and gi?... You know T (i cant remember how to spell the rest of her handle - teraquin??)...she trains at murdoch and uwa...msg her hehehe

Comment

had an excellent experience at my first and last uni games. the quality of the kendoka, particularly at the kyu-level from unsw was amazing.

was a bit disheartened watching goshinkai's 5-dan sensei rip through all the kids in the open events, but was very awe-inspired with his skill.

on a side note, I have also discovered a born-again love for perth beers.

Comment

Well done to my guys at University of Melbourne for winning the kyu teams event and coming third overall. Also Melbourne Uni took out the overall title across all sports - woohoo!

I think Australian kendo has incredible depth of talent right now at kyu grade level. I didnt go to Uni games but last Aus c'ships the standard of the kyu comp was awesome. Really more like 1-3 dan. This is obviously a product of the strict following of 6-1 kyu pathway for all kendoka in Aus. It is very satisfying to know that any kendoka we train can go overseas and be performing at least at the level of their counterparts in other countries, and often at a higher level.

b

Comment

Originally posted by ben
                            I think Australian kendo has incredible depth of talent right now at kyu grade level. I didnt go to Uni games but last Aus c'ships the standard of the kyu comp was awesome. Really more like 1-3 dan. This is obviously a product of the strict following of 6-1 kyu pathway for all kendoka in Aus. It is very satisfying to know that any kendoka we train can go overseas and be performing at least at the level of their counterparts in other countries, and often at a higher level.

b
                            That's good to hear!

I must say that our senseis in Australia have done a hell of a job in guiding us along the journey.

Looking forward to doing keiko at your dojo when I visit my family in February.

Comment

Originally posted by ben
                              Well done to my guys at University of Melbourne for winning the kyu teams event and coming third overall. Also Melbourne Uni took out the overall title across all sports - woohoo!

b
                              Wow, thats a pretty cool thought...i never woulda thought, but at least when we go to nationals we can smile and know we're fighting against the best....btw, do you train with Chiaki? (does she have a boyfriend hehehehehe - just jokes )

Comment

Working...
                              X