X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Half-Life 2

Another gaming landmark, anyone else was a part of this monumental release?

I still haven't had time to crack open Halo 2, or get past level 10 in the WOW open beta...

Home improvements

work trip out of state

missed a week and a half (3 sessions) of kendo!

Half Life 2 has to wait - Ghost Recon 2 out this week !@#@$&%@!

Comment

Too many games........

Comment

Yea, I picked it up. It's possibly one of the most eye-catching games I've ever seen and a fine rival to Doom3 (for graphics anyway--the gameplay will have no choice but to be better).

However, Steam, Valve's own vision of the "Ashcroft Doctrine of Gamer Surveillance," sucks beyond all words. Truly one of the most jaw-dropping examples of a bad idea that I've ever seen. I get the game home, install it (5 cds--what is the problem with shipping stuff on DVD at normal prices--they wanted $80+ for the DVD edition), and then have to wait 6 hours before I can get my steam account "authorized" so I can play the game ON MY OWN HARD DRIVE. I didn't want to play CounterfrigginStrike (the devil incarnate of online gaming) so I'm a little baffled as to why Valve's complete lack of preparation for the game launch (thus their servers being overwhelmed) would prevent me from playing the game locally.

If you don't have a net connection, you can't play the game AT ALL--even if you have no desire to play online. I'm just grateful that Valve has only ever developed 2 games. I'd truly hate to see this catch on any further. Argh.

All that being said...the game is fun thus far (only an hour or so in...)

Comment

i played original half life maybe 5 or 6 times, and blue shif and opposing force, you know... but today my pc cant run new games - and i save up to s22 bogu ((
          that's terrible

Comment

I am curious to why you think that Counter-Strike is the "devil incarnate of online gaming" Dogmatix?

Comment

Got HL2 yesterday (on 1 DVD btw) and registering for Steam took about twenty minutes. Having to sign in and all is a bit annoying, but the game more than makes up for it.

Having been hyped up for Doom 3 I didn't really bother getting all excited for this, feeling like I'd be disappointed. However its safe to say that I'm thoroughly impressed.

I'm playing it and I have no idea what the games going to do next. One minute I'm riding around in a hovercraft dodging proximity mines and shooting down helicopters, and the next I'm playing fetch with a big robot dog using the gravity gun.

IME, the only ppl who don't like CS are the ones that try it, get wiped out (everyone does on the first time playing) and then complain that the games rubbish. It takes a while to get good at, but its a lot of fun when you do.

Comment

I dissagree, I have played CS and thought it is ok, but I always liked Ghost Recon so much more. Just my personal preference in game playing.

that is all.

Comment

The whole thing about stem that irks some people is the fact that today's gaming world is already headed in the future, but the internet providers just can't (or don't want to) keep up with the times. 50 bucks a month is pretty good for a nice dsl or cable connection, but it really isn't as accessable to everyone as 56k or isdn. I mean everyone needs a convenient high speed connection yesterday, and not at the same prices as when it first came out. Gaming today is made for high speed internet, but high speed internet is ignoring the fact, while it is only one among several reasons that it needs to be as standardized and easily accessable as 56k. Either way, I don't mind because I had steam for a while and CS:Source beta since it's release, so I was ready for half-life 2. Sure not everyone has an internet connection, and a small minority of them have HL2, the only thing is, most that play games in general have the internet, and game companies do not cater to the minority just because it interferes with a small portion of the market's sales.

Comment

Originally posted by Anjin-san
                    IME, the only ppl who don't like CS are the ones that try it, get wiped out (everyone does on the first time playing) and then complain that the games rubbish. It takes a while to get good at, but its a lot of fun when you do.
                    I played RtCW and Enemy Territory competitively (TWL and CAL) for 2+ years and know my way around FPS games. My experience with CS was just FAR too many 12 year olds spewing foul language in bad "'leet speak" and just too many trainers/wallhacks/'bots floating around for too long. I know CS really cleaned up the cheats in the last year and a half or so, but my initial experience was so wretched, I'll never go back.

Plus, when ET came out, because it was free, there was a huge influx of CS kiddies to the community I administered (at our height, we had 15 ET servers running) and they were horrible team players and forum trolls par none.

Plus, after playing very team/squad-oriented games like RtCW and ET, I find CS to be more of a "lone wolf" game IMO (not entirely true--good squad tactics can make the game great, but it's hard to get in a public server environment)

Cheers
                    =HoG= Dogm.

Comment

Originally posted by Theta
                      I still haven't had time to crack open Halo 2, or get past level 10 in the WOW open beta...
                      there was no open beta

Comment

2004 = Year of the FPS (Doom 3, Halo 2, Half-Life 2, Metroid Prime 2). In fact, 2004 is the best gaming year (Doom 3, Halo 2, Half-Life 2, Ninja Gaiden, GTA:SA, Splinter Cell:PT, Tales of Symphonia, Metal Gear Solid 3, Metroid Prime 2, Sony PSP, Nintendo DS et al) since the dreamcast days.

Litige: damn the timezone difference between Australia and Canada. When you're playing Halo 2, I'm at work.

Comment

I play Counter-Strike competitively, and right now have the possibility of attending a tournament with a $100,000 USD purse for CS. Just a few months back there was another World Cyber Games tournament with $400,000 USD in prizes. A few months (in fact only about 3 months before) yet ANOTHER tournament that offered $200,000 in prizes.

At this level, the players tend to be a bit more mature than what you are used to in random games, etc. The fact that the major news media (CNN, NBC, ABC) are walking around all over the place and could possibly interview you, the policies of conduct you have to adhere by signing a contract before attending the event, plus the fact that you will actually get to meet your opponents face to face helps tone down what we call "e-thug" or "internet gangster" (the little kids that talk a bit of smack to you)

As for regular gaming, it doesn't really bother me anymore. When you recieve so much taunting (especially from kids that never will have a chance to even get to one of these big tournaments) you begin to have a sense of indifference to their attitudes.

I am sorry you had to experience all this, Dogmatix, but we all did so its just how you look at it. ^_^

Comment

Originally posted by Andoru
                            Litige: damn the timezone difference between Australia and Canada. When you're playing Halo 2, I'm at work.
                            Hehe, I tought of that also, but hey, just posts the your regular playing time, and I'll see if I can join up, you know, ou in the morning, me at midnight!

Comment

I picked it up on release day... I love it. Finished it already, and on my second time through. I'm in Ravenholm.

Comment

Working...
                              X