X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dallas Invitational

Is anyone in this forum coming to Dallas for the takai. There will be a seminar on friday and testing on sunday.

The takai I believe have three categories this year.
    -Nabeshima cup which is for Ikkyu and below
    -shodan-sandan category which was recently added
    -and the Texas Open for Yondan and above.

There are a lot of expected guest this year. Cant Wait!

Texas Taikai

I'm coming from Tampa, Florida. Ota Sensei will be visiting with us the week before. I'll be following him out a few days later.

Bob Souder
    bobsouder@gulfcoastkendo.com

Comment

Check out the calendar entry here: http://www.kendo-world.com/forum/cal...=2005-4-23&c=1

While you're there, check out our new calendar feature at the bottom of the post, you can add your name if you intend to go, and treat the event like a thread, and add comments underneath it.

Comment

2005 Nabeshima Cup, 1Dan to 3Dan Division Takai & Texas Open Kendo Taikai

Dear freinds of KWM

Every two years, the Dallas/Fort Worth Kendo and Iaido Kyokai hosts the Nabeshima Cup Invitational Kendo Tournament in Dallas. This year, we are pleased to announce that the 10th Nabeshima Cup Taikai and the 4th Texas Open Kendo Taikai will be held on Saturday, April 23, 2005 followed by a banquet that night. Rank promotions in Kendo will be held on Sunday, April 24. As with the last Texas Open and Nabeshima Cup, we are extremely pleased to announce that Tadanori Ota Sensei (HachiDan Hanshi Japan) will be joining us as our guest of honor, as will Jeffrey Marsten Sensei (NanaDan kyoushi USA) along with three 7dan sensei from Japan as well as many sensei from Southwest, Southern, and PNKF.

The Nabeshima Cup Invitational Kendo Tournament started in 1992 as a goodwill DFWKIK club tournament and has expanded to current or prospective AUSKF and IKF members ranked SanDan (3rd degree) and below. To continue to foster goodwill, fellowship and high spirit involving developing kenshi, this year's Nabeshima Cup will be for participants IkKyu & below. There will be a separate taikai for participants ranked ShoDan to SanDan,. The Texas Open will be held for participants ranked YonDan and above.

On Friday evening, April 22, there will be a SWKIF Board of Directors meeting beginning at 6:30 p.m. A seminar conducted by our guests of honor will also be held Friday evening from 7:00 to 9:30 p.m.

Please complete all applicable materials and return them by APRIL 8, 2005 to the tournament mailing address below. Included in this package, please find the following: 1) Itinerary of Events; 2) Registration Form; 3) Rank Testing Form; and 4) Waiver of Liability. Hotel Information, maps and other taikai information may be found on our website at http://www.dfwkik.org/nabeshima

We have reserved a block of rooms at the Courtyard by Marriott Addison Quorum at a reduced rate for participants. Booking is first-come, first-serve. The Courtyard by Marriott Addison Quorum is located at 15160 Quorum Drive, Addison, Texas 75001. The blocks of rooms are reserved under DFWKIK at a rate of $55 per night for a single/double, standard room. The phone number for the Courtyard by Marriott Addison Quorum is 972.404.1555 or toll-free at 800.321.2211, and reservations should be made by April 8th in order to take advantage of the special rate.

Ground transportation to and from the airports in the Dallas area will be provided for all Senseis and Shimpans. Transport to and from both airports can be provided by Super Shuttle for $17 per person, one way. Reservations can be made at least 24 hours in advance by calling 817.329.2000 or on the web at supershuttle.com The service can be found at all ground transportation pickup locations (at DFW International Airport, look for the orange shared ride sign on the upper level at all terminals). Watch for the blue and yellow vans with North Dallas displayed, and ask to go to the Courtyard by Marriott Addison Quorum, Addison.

All activities will be held at the Greenhill School Gymnasium located at 4141 Spring Valley in Addison, Texas. Should you have any questions or comments, please do not hesitate to contact us at any time.

On behalf of the SWKIF and the DFWKIK,

Hiro Yamaguchi Howard Fuerst
        Tournament Co-Chairman Tournament Co-Chairman
        Phone: 972.658.8223 Phone: 972-739-4038
        hiro.yamaguchi@dfwkik.org howard.fuerst@dfwkik.org

Mail FWKIK 18352 Dallas Parkway, #136-208, 75287

Information and forms can be obtained at this website: http://www.dfwkik.org/nabeshima

We usually have 70-80 participants. It is not a big taikai, but lots of keiko, good shiai, great fun & heavy drinking :P

Looking forward to see ya'll ~

Comment

Originally posted by oldkenshi
          I'm coming from Tampa, Florida. Ota Sensei will be visiting with us the week before. I'll be following him out a few days later.
          Bob Souder
          Bob-san ,
          Looking forward to see you again!
          Are you up for testing? I know you couldnt at Colorado Springs.

BTW, why dont you fly in with Ota sensei? and practice with us for 4-5 days.
          I think we will be having practices everyday during Ota sensei's visit

Originally posted by Hamish
          Check out the calendar entry here: http://www.kendo-world.com/forum/ca...y=2005-4-23&c=1

While you're there, check out our new calendar feature at the bottom of the post, you can add your name if you intend to go, and treat the event like a thread, and add comments underneath it.
          Great feature!!!
          Thanks~

Comment

Demonstrations

Is there a "schedule" of any demonstrations? At the last one, Ota Sensei demonstrated the bokuto kihon and the kendo kata and there was also a demo of seitei jodo (at least, those are the demos that I saw). I would like to be able to see the demos in addition to whatever matches I can fit in.

Comment

Originally posted by Will Schutt
              Is there a "schedule" of any demonstrations? At the last one, Ota Sensei demonstrated the bokuto kihon and the kendo kata and there was also a demo of seitei jodo (at least, those are the demos that I saw). I would like to be able to see the demos in addition to whatever matches I can fit in.
              We are planning to have "Bokutou ni yoru Kendou Kihon Keiko hou" by Ota sensei and Uchida sensei, as well as demonstration by local Aikido club.
              Also, Iai demo by 5-dan up sensei (5-6 sensei enbu)

Comment

Originally posted by Kirin
                We are planning to have "Bokutou ni yoru Kendou Kihon Keiko hou" by Ota sensei and Uchida sensei, as well as demonstration by local Aikido club.
                Also, Iai demo by 5-dan up sensei (5-6 sensei enbu)
                Sounds good and I'm looking forward to it. Do you know when the demos will be? Will they be spread throughout the day(s) or all at the opening ceremony or some other time?

Comment

This year, we are so excited to announce that we will be having over 100 participants!

On 4/20(wed), we will have special practices with Ota sensei.
                  Regular practice, with Ota sensei and guests from Japan, will be held on 4/19(tue) & 4/21(thr).

Thank you for your support and looking forward to see you in Dallas!

Comment

Nabashima Cup (Mudanasha Division):
                    1st Place: William Velazquez - Houston Budokan
                    2nd Place: Gerald Tan - Austin Doshikai
                    3rd Place - Benjamin Lowe - Texas A&M
                    3rd Place - Krutarth Triyedi - Dallas/Ft Worth Kendo Kyokai
                    Kantosho (Kiyoshi Abe Fighting Spirit)
                    Fernado Velazquez - Laredo
                    Reggie Solitano - Dallas/Ft Worth Kendo Kyokai

ShoDan-SanDan (Yudansha Division):
                    1st Place: Bryan Mosely (3 dan)- Oklahoma City
                    2nd Place: Brian Cooper (3 dan) - Longmont
                    3rd Place - Manny DaCosta (2 dan) - Austin Doshikai
                    3rd Place - Steve Sasaki - (2 dan) Omaha
                    Kantosho - Masako Andoh (3 dan)- Texas A&M

Texas Open (Kodansha Division - YonDan+):
                    1st Place: Koki Abe (4 dan)- Oklahoma City
                    2nd Place: Michio Kajitani (6 dan)- Arkansas
                    3rd Place - Kiyoshi Abe (5 dan)- Japan
                    Kantosho - Masayuki Koyama (5 dan)- Houston Budokan

Comment

That was a fun weeek. I enjoyed every minute of it. A lot of turn oout on Saturdays takai. Everyone did pretty good in every division. Hope to see everyone again soon.

Comment

2007 Nabeshima Cup

The 2007 Nabeshima Cup and Texas Open is coming up. It will be held on April 21, 2007. For more info, click here

Comment

Good luck to everyone participating this weekend-- win and hit.

Comment

Originally posted by asian_knight View Post
                            The 2007 Nabeshima Cup and Texas Open is coming up. It will be held on April 21, 2007. For more info, click here

Had a great time this weekend, though I hate to fly.

Congrats on your test, hold the applause please. Your next test for shodan will be a breeze for you.

Comment

The whole weekend was great. I was so exhausted by Sunday afternoon.

Curtis Sensei, its good to hear that you had a great time. I enjoyed going geko w/ you over the weekend. Hopefully I will see again in fall. I will try to test for my shodan by then. Thank you again sensei.

Comment

Working...
                              X