Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Watchet Seminar 20th & 21st May

Thought I would start a thread for the Watchet Seminar 2005

Should be a fair few Kendoka coming from my Dojo (Reading), some of who will be grading (good luck!) and for a large for a large proportion of us (including me) this will be our first Kendo Seminar.

I know that this is a very popular event within the UK, so who else will be attending?

Several of us will be there from Stoke.

This has been an excellent seminar over the last few years.
    As this is your first one you should buy the beer.

Comment

We're sending a few people as well (Portsmouth.)

Comment

I'll be going with at least one other from our Dojo. I've only been to one Watchet Seminar about 8 years ago!!! Looking forward to it.

Good luck all those going for gradings!!!!!
        Oh, anyone got the grading questions for Ni Dan? I said I'd get them for a mate in Japan? Ta

Comment

Originally posted by Timeline
          I'll be going with at least one other from our Dojo.
          the timeline part has now swollen to at least four of us. two of us're over 6 foot and have beards; please come and exchange opinions about modern art.

Comment

I'm not quite 6ft but do currently have a beard and can talk about (f)art.
            I'd rather hit you with my Daito though...

Comment

From the BKA website:

Watchet Kendo Seminar, 21st/22nd May.

All non grading attendees will be training Saturday and Sunday at the West Somerset Leisure Centre,Bircham Rd. Minehead TA24 6AY
              Attendees who are grading will be at Wiliton School. TA4 4SW. on both days.
              Please spread the word

Comment

who went?

i had the pleasure with a certain mr. spain, and a fair few of his reading compatriots; one of the reading gents provided me with the best nuts-out, full-contact Man Keiko i've had in ages. at least, the best that didn't end with me being backed into a radiator.

i was the enormous ginger bearded type with the carbon-fibre shinai and the tendency to whip up into jodan at completely inappropriate moments in order to confuse and delight the adoring fans.

Comment

I was there, and one of the Reading mob to boot....fantastic weekend, great Kendo, great kendoka, great event....

Gota learn to deal with that Jodan....my men suffered bad.....

Come along to the Reading dojo anytime for some revenge, I'm sure Sensei Sullivan welcomes any visiting kendoka.

Comment

Originally posted by Talen
                    Come along to the Reading dojo anytime for some revenge, I'm sure Sensei Sullivan welcomes any visiting kendoka.
                    i live just off the southern end of the reading unviersity campus, so i may well, assuming i can get my kit destenched after a wednesday night practice at some point.

do you all mumble 'far enough to be... safe... close enough to... remain in contact' as you're falling asleep at night? i might have to start. good thing i'm not married.

Comment

fantastic weekend, great Kendo, great kendoka, great event....
                      Couldn't of said it (much) better myself!
                      Gota learn to deal with that Jodan
                      Jodan very much still foxes me. Unless I can hit your kote as soon as your up, I'm screwed!
                      Originally posted by ginger_justice
                      i live just off the southern end of the reading unviersity campus, so i may well, assuming i can get my kit destenched after a wednesday night practice at some point.
                      Don't worry about the stink, at Reading we very quickly get used to it!
                      Originally posted by ginger_justice
                      do you all mumble 'far enough to be... safe... close enough to... remain in contact' as you're falling asleep at night?
                      One night after practise I was practising Fumikomi in my sleep. I kid you not. My girlfriend had a bruise for two weeks

Comment

i tai atari'd my ex once. not as filthy as it sounds.

the best thing about jodan: raised arms. the stink from my armpits hits them a few seconds before the shinai, which tends to bounce harmlessly of the men gane, anyway. alas. but at least their eyes water; to quote the bad guy in karate kid 2, 'if a man cannot see, he cannot fight'.

i spoke to a few reading people the other day, but fear i have a mind like a net made of merangue. is one of your weekly sessions more of a 'beginners' thing, and the other terrifyingly hardcore? i'm keen to come and join you for a practice at some point, though ironically, i may not have time to do so until i've moved away from reading to oxford.

Comment

See the link in my signiture for Reading Dojo info.

Comment

Originally posted by ben spain
                            See the link in my signiture for Reading Dojo info.
                            ah. yes. good point. alas. i think i left my brain in watchet. cheers.

Comment

I also practiced with Mr Spain and managed to twat him in the eye with my Shinai, whilst doing taitari practice, which was nice of me ;-)

Someone was fencing Jodan ??? was this at Minehead or Danesfield and if at Minehead (I didn't see it) why didn't they fence me no fair :-(

Comment

Working...
                              X