X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Midwest Kendo Federation Summer Camp at Kalamazoo 2005

Hey did anyone go to the Midwest Kendo Federation Summer Camp at Kalamazoo this year?

Voss sensei from Hokkyokusei in Rochester, MN went. I'll ask him how it went when I see him next. Or I'll probably send him an email, that will be faster.

Comment

I didn't go, but Yamanaka and Saito Senseis stop by Chicago Kendo Dojo Tuesday night and I will try to come.

Comment

I would love to go to one of these. It sounds like lots of fun.

Comment

I was there. It was a great experience to learn from Yamanaka and Saito sensei along with all of the other "local" sensei as well. Hopefully Yamanaka and Saito come back again next year.

Who else here went?

P.S. Does anyone here know how to get in contact with Mrs. Yuko Voss? I took a picture of her with Yamanaka sensei and Saito sensei, and I believe she wants me to send it to her. I tried two different email addresses that ended up not working.

Thanks,

Holmgren-san

Comment

MWKF summer camp

I was fortunate enough to attend the camp and let me tell you this, IT WAS GREAT. I attended the kata practice at (6:15a.m.-approx. 7:00a.m), the 2 hour (9:15 - 11:15), and the 3 hour (1:30-4:30), unfortunately there were practices on sunday (6:15-approx. 7:15 and 9:30-11:30) but my legs gave out (I wasn't the only one not attending the sunday practices) after the saturday practices and found walking and sankyo quite hard to do. being able to practice with some many great kendoists and of course saito and yamanaka sensei was quite the honor even though I'm still not in bogu. and two of the highlights of the weekend were the after practice activites saturday and being able to see saito and yamanaka sensei practice (sparring, kata, and etc.) was a thing of kendoriffic beauty (note to self save kendoriffic for later). well thats most of the things I can remember right now, maybe I can remember specifics later if someone asks the right questions. well dewa mata hito (correct me if hito isnt people like I think it is)

Comment

I was at the camp as well. I have such a great time and learned a lot. Unfortunately I was one of the people not practicing on sunday due to after practice social hour(s) on saturday night. I don't know how Yamanakasensei does it. Drink, sing, AND DANCE all night and then go to practice at 6am! But the camp was definately worth going to. I hope to see more people there next year.
              Did anyone take any pictures? My club wants to post somem on our website but the two of us that went didn't bring a camera (I know, silly thing to forget).

Comment

The camp was so much fun!

I went.

It was so much fun! There were 4 of us without bogu, so they made a special class for us. Sakamoto-sensei, Umeki-sensei, Sugawara-sensei, Matsura-sensei, and I know there was another, taught us. We learned so much!
                Of us non-bogu, we had a beginner of only 2 1/2 months up to me, who has been training for nearly 2 years, so one can see that Summer camp is for anyone, which was really nice. We all enjoyed it!

We learned fun footwork patterns, and we worked on cutting without fumikomi and with fumikomi. We practiced men, kote and do(both kihon and regular do) and we did lots of kirikaeshi, which I really liked! And, the sensei, at the afternoon practice, put on their bogu and had us do some uchikomi-geiko practice.

I brought my Kendo journal to camp, and took notes, and I think I have gotten so far(Because I am still putting things from camp into it.), about 8 pages of notes.

Yamanaka-Sensei and Saito-Sensei are incredible Kendoka to watch, and not only that, they are both very kind. Saito-sensei took the time to come over to me and show me what Yamanaka-sensei was demonstrating to us, when we were in seiza on the first day, since I can't see very much past 3 feet. I really appreciated that a LOT. It's not always easy to understand what Sensei is talking about when I can only hear what is going on.

The next day, us non-bogu got to join the bogu people in keiko and we got to do kakari-geiki with the sensei. I got to do kakari-geiko and kirikaeshi with Saito-sensei, and hahaha, he had me do so much of kakari-geiko and then, kirikaeshi twice! Wow, I was so tired after that, but it was so worth it, to get to have a chance to learn from him.

Yes, we had kata each morning. hehehe, You didn't like that, NakazamiShinji-san? I think I know who you are, now that you said you missed kata on Sunday. You're the one with short curly hair right? I was wondering where you'd gone.

I didn't mind morning kata practice. I didn't like getting up at 5:30am, but once I got there to practice, I was all happy, because I love kata! Wow, watching Yamanaka-sensei and Saito-sensei do the kata was amazing! They had such good seme and zanshin it wasn't funny. And, their timing was so good! I hope to be that good at kata someday, besides shinai Kendo. What I really enjoyed was the fact they called us all up to gather together to watch when they talked and demostrated. Also, what was interesting, is that they explained what each kata was about, and what you are really cutting. You really need to pretend and use your imagination to see in your mind's eye, what situation you are encountering when you are shidachi or uchidachi. That is one of the many things I learned. It helps you be able to do the kata as if you are in that situation.

I went to all the extra practices the two sensei added, and it was well worth attending them besides the regularly scheduled practices. The 3rd added practice was held at 7:30pm to I think, nearly 9pm on Saturday evening. This one was not a kata practice, but a regular practice. So, there were 3 added practices not on the schedule in total. The 2 kata and the one I just mentioned.

I had the opportunity to meet Yamanaka-sensei, because one of my sempai from my dojo dragged me up to meet him. I was too shy to walk up to him and say hi. I think he is really nice.

Oh yeah... the dojo was really hot! I am surprised we didn't all die, haha! It was in the 80's over the week-end, but that was a huge improvement to what it was before the camp began. Thank goodness it didn't hit 90 and above!

I met a lot of really nice people at the camp, and I can't wait until next year's camp!

Anyway, the camp was so awesome! We had about 55 people show up. I highly recommend people to come next year.

Kaoru

Comment

Originally posted by NakazamiShinji
                  I was fortunate enough to attend the camp and let me tell you this, IT WAS GREAT. I attended the kata practice at (6:15a.m.-approx. 7:00a.m), the 2 hour (9:15 - 11:15), and the 3 hour (1:30-4:30), unfortunately there were practices on sunday (6:15-approx. 7:15 and 9:30-11:30) but my legs gave out (I wasn't the only one not attending the sunday practices) after the saturday practices and found walking and sankyo quite hard to do. being able to practice with some many great kendoists and of course saito and yamanaka sensei was quite the honor even though I'm still not in bogu. and two of the highlights of the weekend were the after practice activites saturday and being able to see saito and yamanaka sensei practice (sparring, kata, and etc.) was a thing of kendoriffic beauty (note to self save kendoriffic for later). well thats most of the things I can remember right now, maybe I can remember specifics later if someone asks the right questions. well dewa mata hito (correct me if hito isnt people like I think it is)
                  What do you mean "unfortunately?" I think it was fortunate! hehehe... Or where you up all night? haha! That would explain it.

Kaoru

Comment

Originally posted by TheChessQueen
                    I was at the camp as well. I have such a great time and learned a lot. Unfortunately I was one of the people not practicing on sunday due to after practice social hour(s) on saturday night. I don't know how Yamanakasensei does it. Drink, sing, AND DANCE all night and then go to practice at 6am! But the camp was definately worth going to. I hope to see more people there next year.
                    Did anyone take any pictures? My club wants to post somem on our website but the two of us that went didn't bring a camera (I know, silly thing to forget).
                    hahaha, I saw that. I don't know how he does it either. I was sitting in the window seat in the lounge writing in my journal at that point and I happened to look up because I heard him ask for a tenugui and I was curious as to why. Oh man, he was funny! I've seen that type of dance once before. I thought it was hilarious!

Kaoru

Comment

Originally posted by TheChessQueen
                      I don't know how Yamanakasensei does it. Drink, sing, AND DANCE all night and then go to practice at 6am!

Wait!? He danced? Agh, I missed it. That night I went out with a few guys to see a movie, I wish I was there. Looks like he always plans on pulling something like that. Last year, he sumo wrestled a few people.

I see your from Rochecter, NY. By chance were you with Travis Ichikawa? If so, I had a great time doing ji-geiko with him.

P.S. I took a some pictures with my digital when I had time, let me know if you'd like to use any.

Holmgren-san

Comment

Hey Kaoru,

Looks like you went without me! *cries in the corner* just kidding. It sounds like a lot of fun! I can't wait to go next year! Thanks for the awesome review!

Comment

Originally posted by Mugu
                          Hey Kaoru,

Looks like you went without me! *cries in the corner* just kidding. It sounds like a lot of fun! I can't wait to go next year! Thanks for the awesome review!
                          I'm sorry! I wish you could have gone. It was so much fun! Well, we can go next year! I'm planning on going to it again. As a matter of fact, I'm gonna drag you along with me! Then, we can both have the honor of being clobbered by Saito-sensei in kakari-geiko and kirikaeshi! hahaha! And, if we're in bogu by then, completely clobbered! Gosh, it was fun to work with him. I've got some pics of camp. I'll upload them to my Kendo album and send it to you. Oh, and you're welcome!

Kaoru

Comment

Originally posted by Kaoru
                            I'm sorry! I wish you could have gone. It was so much fun! Well, we can go next year! I'm planning on going to it again. As a matter of fact, I'm gonna drag you along with me! Then, we can both have the honor of being clobbered by Saito-sensei in kakari-geiko and kirikaeshi! hahaha! And, if we're in bogu by then, completely clobbered! Gosh, it was fun to work with him. I've got some pics of camp. I'll upload them to my Kendo album and send it to you. Oh, and you're welcome!

Kaoru
                            You're evil

Comment

Pictures

I know Hajime-sensei took pictures of Yamanaka-sensei dancing and David Christman (president of MWKF) took pictures at all the practices. Anyone from their dojos and can get ahold of the pictures?

Comment

Working...
                              X