Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• is this guy's footwork acceptable?

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...297230&q=kendo

look at the tall guy's footwork during fumikomi. His lifts his left leg pretty high off the ground. He's quick, but the footwork looks ugly to me.

anyone have a take on that?

Yeh, thats a bad habit, or maybe he is just doing it for the tournament, because by leaning his body foward he can get a faster Men, but it is very off balanced and weak. Thats not something you should do.

Comment

BTW, who won that match? I didnt see any points given, even though it seems like the tall guy had that realy nice katsugi Men but they didnt give it to him.

Comment

I was at that tournament and that was a good match. Both players (I think both yondan) are better than me so I have no comment.

Comment

eeks!! same problem as mine, though i do it because i can't reach men. still, sensei says i should eliminate it cause i'm not moving forward, instead i just go up when i do it.

~taganahan

Comment

I guess I should have taken Ignats approach....next time.

Comment

Originally posted by Ignatz
              I was at that tournament and that was a good match. Both players (I think both yondan) are better than me so I have no comment.
              yeah, I mean I'm not saying they're bad, but that one thing really bothered me.

Comment

I think both their kamae and footwork suck for yondan.

Comment

I thought everything was good except for that left leg kick. Which my sensie tells us not to do. Also, the superman Men. Not good for the lower back.

Comment

Originally posted by tantadi
                    I think both their kamae and footwork suck for yondan.
                    Wow, don't hold back, tell us what you really think.
                    BTW the guy won. The girl is a very strong player though so he had to be very wary about getting too close and attacked from quite a distance which might account for the foot thing.

Comment

The girl is a very strong player though so he had to be very wary about getting too close and attacked from quite a distance which might account for the foot thing.
                      This discussion and the video is a good example of proper behavior of a player who is a foot taller and probably 50+ pounds heavier fighting with a smaller opponent. You don't see a freight train attempt to hit men and run over the opponent.

Comment

Wow, don't hold back, tell us what you really think.
                        BTW the guy won. The girl is a very strong player though so he had to be very wary about getting too close and attacked from quite a distance which might account for the foot thing.
                        It was straight from the heart, I will not say which grade I thought they had initially...

Comment

I've seen MUCH worse for 4dan. They actually both look ok to me. The tall guy has a bit of Jp. High school kendo in him so thats prolly why he leans forward that much.

Comment

I see a lot of bend in the guy's left leg, but.. this is shiai and I've seen quite a bit of anomolies in that context..

Comment

So all of you think her kamae is good?? Nothing wrong with it?

Comment

Working...
                              X