13WKC Videos - Korea vs USA

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 13WKC Videos - Korea vs USA

Below are video footage of the 13th World Kendo Championships Team Finals - Korea vs USA.

Senpo
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oP-puSpBETc

Jiho
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tZYSCTCqI8A

Chuken
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CG91pnx5kTs

Fukusho
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w2rZSk9oNwo

Taisho
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CtnjmKhz970

Thank You!!!!!!

vBulletin Message
    You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to vyung again.

Comment

Thanks Vivian,

I've posted links to your vid threads on Ichinikai. It's very interesting over there.

Peter

Comment

Originally posted by Nanbanjin
        Thanks Vivian,

I've posted links to your vid threads on Ichinikai. It's very interesting over there.

Peter
        What are they saying?

Comment

Originally posted by johnkichu
          What are they saying?
          Sorry, I have some critical work so I need to be away from KW for a while. Will update as soon as I have some time.

Comment

Great vid again.. Thanks for sharing...

Comment

Originally posted by johnkichu
              What are they saying?
              This one is the first one I've found from someone who was actually there (apart from Hide.-san)
              There are many varied reactions to the loss. This one is not necessarily representative.

I participated in as the coach of a participating country's team.
              Our team was eliminated after reaching the playoffs, so I was able to view the Japan vs. USA match as a spectator.

There's not point in finding blame; a loss is a loss.

But it's frustrating and sad.

I was watching while sitting next to a friend and ex-Japan team member "N-yama"-kun, and at the moment of defeat were both listless. N-yama-kun's eyes were red.

Also, I heard later on that more so than the players themselves, the coaching staff of Ichida-san and Miyazaki-san were the ones who felt the true seriousness of the situation, and that they had been concerned about the unusually disinterested attitude of the Japanese team members.
              I wonder exactly how the actual concerned parties are taking the seriousness of this loss, given the amount of attention it has been given here. If the players really understand, then I hope the reflect on their loss and that from tomorrow they work towards the goal in three years time.

On the other hand.
              On watching the semi-finals, after the match was over one of my own team members came up to me and said something that managed to cheer me up a little. I don't believe he was saying this as a consolation or because I was Japanese. Our conversation was as follows:

A: Sensei. They lost, but Japan still has the best style.
              Me: What makes you say that?
              A: Even when they lose the are calm, bow correctly and quietly leave the competition arena.
              Me: But they lost so there isn't really anything else they can to.
              A: But they don't do stupid things like winning poses in front of their opponents even if they do win, like (country starting with K).
              Me: Yes, if you do that then it simply isn't kendo. I wonder if they really understand "Bushi-no-nasake" (<-find a dictionary!) like I always talk about.
              A: Yeah, I know what you mean. If you do that kind of thing than it's hard to admire the victory.

I believe that there are many foreign kendo players who feel this way.
              So I feel that Japanese players should not just be interested in victory, but should also pursue their best in they way they conduct themselves in the shiai.
              We may have lost, but I just wanted to add that there was also this aspect to the competition.
              At least this one was polite.

You can read it all here...

http://www5a.biglobe.ne.jp/~ichini/b...502660559.html

Comment

A: But they don't do stupid things like winning poses in front of their opponents even if they do win, like (country starting with K).
                Me: Yes, if you do that then it simply isn't kendo. I wonder if they really understand "Bushi-no-nasake" (<-find a dictionary!) like I always talk about.
                This sounds more like loser-sour-grape sentiments.

You're supposed to do yadda yadda when you win, and yadda yadda when you lose, because you are a samurai blah blah blah.

I've never seen the Japanese team + coaches go bowing to their supporters sitting a few floor higher from the floor after winning any WKC. The Koreans did.

Comment

Originally posted by mingshi
                  This sounds more like loser-sour-grape sentiments.

You're supposed to do yadda yadda when you win, and yadda yadda when you lose, because you are a samurai blah blah blah.

I've never seen the Japanese team + coaches go bowing to their supporters sitting a few floor higher from the floor after winning any WKC. The Koreans did.
                  This post only turned into sour grapes after I'd already starting translating it. In the context of the Ichinikai-thread which (you should read and maybe translate a little) is a little overly self-deprecating it's not as bad as it sounds.

If Japanese players bowed to their supporters they would get their arses kicked. I know it's nice to bow to your supporters, but the establishment would not allow it - yes the argument would be that it's just not kendo.

Comment

Someone with video editing skills ought to make a video with 30 seconds or so of highlights of each match in the Japan vs USA and USA vs Korea matches...

Comment

Originally posted by Nanbanjin
                      : Sensei. They lost, but Japan still has the best style.
                      Me: What makes you say that?
                      A: Even when they lose the are calm, bow correctly and quietly leave the competition arena.
                      Me: But they lost so there isn't really anything else they can to.
                      A: Yeah, I know what you mean. If you do that kind of thing than it's hard to admire the victory.
                      Hmmnnn...lets see these two guys try and act that way after trying their best for the past 30 years only to come second all the time.

I can admire the winning with style comment but the complaint about celebration afterwards sounds like(as jenny said) sour grapes.

Comment

Originally posted by KhawMengLee
                        I can admire the winning with style comment but the complaint about celebration afterwards sounds like(as jenny said) sour grapes.
                        Nah, i"m gonna disagree with both Jenny and Meng. You both know me, and I am guessing you might know or imagine where I"m coming from. If kendo was just hitting people with sticks, then sure, whatever, who cares, jump up and down and leap and shout all you like... for me, thats just bad manners and it isnt kendo. When I saw the first vid on youtube from the wkc, the thing that stuck out most for me was the K team jumping up and yelling in celebration. 品がない guys... 品がない.

I think kendo is something more than this. Sorry, I know kendo is more than this. Im not been romantic here. When you are a kid or early in your kendo career then you probably dont know any different. The more you do kendo, build personal relationships, life long friends, then maybe youll stop being concerned with beating the other person (who, lets face it, is probably your friend), and practise just because you like it. kendo for me is something that is based on trust and respect.... because you are actually hitting your opponent. If that trust and respect isnt there, then we're gonna turn into animals.

I get killed all the time in practise, but know one goes "yeahhh, you suck. i totally killed you, you loser!" .... if that was the case then the kendo world would be full of sporty boors (aka assholes)... and im am guessing that a lot of people on these boards wouldnt be seen dead around these type of people (right jenny/meng?).

Im not saying you cant enjoy your kendo practise, or be happy or sad when you win/lose. But if you want to jump up and down and boo and cheer, well, id prefer if you did something else rather than kendo.

Comment

too many discussion from people who weren't there and who weren't caught up in the atmosphere.
                          Also... too much discussion full stop (on all the WKC threads)

Comment

Originally posted by Kenshi
                            Nah, i"m gonna disagree with both Jenny and Meng. You both know me, and I am guessing you might know or imagine where I"m coming from. If kendo was just hitting people with sticks, then sure, whatever, who cares, jump up and down and leap and shout all you like... for me, thats just bad manners and it isnt kendo. When I saw the first vid on youtube from the wkc, the thing that stuck out most for me was the K team jumping up and yelling in celebration. 品がない guys... 品がない.

I think kendo is something more than this. Sorry, I know kendo is more than this. Im not been romantic here. When you are a kid or early in your kendo career then you probably dont know any different. The more you do kendo, build personal relationships, life long friends, then maybe youll stop being concerned with beating the other person (who, lets face it, is probably your friend), and practise just because you like it. kendo for me is something that is based on trust and respect.... because you are actually hitting your opponent. If that trust and respect isnt there, then we're gonna turn into animals.

I get killed all the time in practise, but know one goes "yeahhh, you suck. i totally killed you, you loser!" .... if that was the case then the kendo world would be full of sporty boors (aka assholes)... and im am guessing that a lot of people on these boards wouldnt be seen dead around these type of people (right jenny/meng?).

Im not saying you cant enjoy your kendo practise, or be happy or sad when you win/lose. But if you want to jump up and down and boo and cheer, well, id prefer if you did something else rather than kendo.
                            I do get what you mean George but we have to make an exception here.

1) The mood and atmosphere of the WKC in Taiwan was pretty boisterous. I mean, in Japan at a competition, apart from the odd 'fighto!' and clap for a good attack or point, its a pretty silent affair.

I mean there was cheering and clapping at Glasgow but in Taiwan it sorta felt like a football match. On one side you could hear some one shout something like "WHo's gonna win?!" and then the crowd would roar "USA!!" then the Koreans would answer back with something as well. This WKC the crowd really got into it.

As for the booing well, the fans not the team were doing that.

2) The fact that Korea has ALWAYS come in second and that they won, well, give them a little chance to celebrate. I mean, if they ran around the shiaijo doing a victory lap and then high fived the shimpan that would be out.

3) Also, I think we've seen enough WKC's to know the emotional nature of the Korean Teams and Coachs in the past.

4) The reason I mentioned sour grapes was that the criticism was just targeted at the Koreans. I mean Team USA was celebrating just as hard what with the throwing the coach up in the air, etc. Fans were cheering loud for both sides and both and both the USA and Korea didn't hide their emotions about their wins.

Comment

actually, sorry meng, i didnt get my point across (or it got mixed up) - im wasnt really trying to talk about the WKC, that was simply an example. ive seen booing at Euros as well. was pretty sh*t. anyway, i'll leave it at that.

as for not commenting, bobdonny, i'll take your point about not being there, but am as entilted to comment as you are about the war in iraq, the north korea issue, racism, abortion etc etc. there were also - pressumably - many people that were there (and even competing) with little kendo experience who dont have much of a soap box to talk down from just simply because they were there. like a 13yr old at a brothel. Although, of-course, id like to hear that angle.

the 13wkc was only a few days ago.. so there will be plenty more discussion on it as time goes by. there was even people giving it the "eigas tsuki didnt look good" a few weeks back.

Comment

Working...
                              X