X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another YouTube video for amusement

This YouTube video is titled "Ki Ken Ryu" with tags "kendo" and "katori." I presume the tag "katori" is referring to the katori shinto ryu. The guy who made the video makes this whimpering noise everytime he swings his bokuto....but no kiai.... Appears to be self-taught watching YouTube videos. Enjoy this amusing video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zPNaKdyZ-JE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Lk3NBhf4Gs

I think the ninja tabi boots say it all.

Comment

Already removed...

Comment

ok, who sent him the messages?!?!?!?

Comment

removed

I did find this today:
          http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bo8lt7TElL4&NR=1

Comment

Originally posted by sam.i.am View Post
            This YouTube video is titled "Ki Ken Ryu" with tags "kendo" and "katori." I presume the tag "katori" is referring to the katori shinto ryu. The guy who made the video makes this whimpering noise everytime he swings his bokuto....but no kiai.... Appears to be self-taught watching YouTube videos.
            What was his username?

Comment

His user name was Katroixshintoxryu.

Yeah, I had seen this one before on Friday 01/20/07.
              I had written a comment asking him if Ki Ken Ryu was a Gendai art.
              Of course, we all know the answer to that.
              He's got a website as well.
              I'll try and locate the link if anyone wants it.

Summertime Ninjas!

Comment

The one problem that us Americans have is staying in touch with reality. I'm sure other countries have their issues but i see this as the biggest American problem.

for example.

In the Us you can go into a movie theater and watch an action flik with a man driving down the street, gun sticking out the window, blazing away.
                then...
                You can go outside and see a guy driving down the street, gun blazing.
                then...
                you can go home and watch it on the news with various reasons as to why he did it without truely knowing why he did it(out of touch with reality).
                then...
                if you want you can go to a gun fair, pick up a gun, and drive down the street firing away, thinking you look kewl or you'r a bad arse.
                so...

I wouldn't waste my time with trying to discredit the myriad of sword posers out there because clearly they are out of touch with reality.

Just not worth it.

Comment

Originally posted by Kenzan View Post
                  I'll try and locate the link if anyone wants it.
                  As much as I enjoy this kind of posts, (and I do or I wouldn't be regged at bullshido), but I think it would be better if we avoid posting his contact information (his website if any). Lets leave it at a larf instead of harassment shall we?

Comment

Originally posted by Bokushingu View Post
                    I wouldn't waste my time with trying to discredit the myriad of sword posers out there because clearly they are out of touch with reality.

Just not worth it.
                    I disagree.
                    I think that for the same reasons that medical quackery or pseudo-science are being being fostered on to the public as something genuine, so the same goes for Kendo or other JSA.
                    Things like this should be combated by all of us.

It's about education, in the sense that the public should at least have a modicum of understanding of what J.S.A. is and is not.

Speaking for myself, I am not in favor of attacking anyone just for posting a video of themselves whacking away at one another with "Kembo sticks" on You-Tube.
                    However, posting an "instructional video" and associating it with J.S.A. or by omission of facts, leading the viewer of the video to surmise that what is being shown is in fact some sort of J.S.A., is what I take an issue with.

You might say, "So what does it matter if a few idiots post some made up stuff
                    on the Internet? What effect does this have, and why should you care?"

My simple answer would be twofold:

1. With the phenomenon of information spread virally these days on the Internet, opinions on any given subject can form in a matter of hours. If enough of these people, left unchecked, are allowed to gain in popularity, they could have the potential to seriously damage public understanding and opinion of legitimate J.S.A.
                    Unfortunately, in our current culture, what is patently true does not always shine through. These days, it seems that whatever that majority of people "think" is what is deemed as "truth."

An example of this appears only recently in Great Britain. If the lawmakers had a genuine understanding of what J.S.A. was and was not, they would not have attempted to ban all Katana swords from use by all persons.
                    Think about that for a moment. A broad and sweeping legislation banning ownership of all swords almost took place in England. Were it not for the heroic efforts of the British J.S.A community taking to task the effort to educate the Government on J.S.A, Martial Arts in England may have been egregiously affected for the worse, permanently.

The lawmakers had to have formed an opinion somewhere. Obviously it was from inaccurate sources, because the logic of making allowances for J.S.A seemed to have been missing from the original drafts.(Someone please correct me if I am wrong.)

With the political climate in America being as it is, I think it is not too far a stretch to see the same type of thing potentially happening here.
                    I mean, toenail clippers are seen as a deadly weapon on a plane for crying out loud!

Also, laws made from blind ignorance has happened before.
                    Take for example, Homeopathy, Tarot-Card Reading, Acupuncture, and some forms of Chiropractics to name a few.
                    These are all supremely unscientific practices which have no basis in actual medical fact, but yet they are still sanctioned, approved, and in some case, even funded by your own taxes dollars here in America.
                    It just goes to show that legislators are human as well, and as such, subject to being duped as much as the next person.

2. I don't know about you, but I'd really not like to see young people thinking it's cool to glorify weaponry and swinging sharp deadly instruments in the backyard or even worse, at each other.
                    And what many of these "Internet Sensei" try to do is legitimize exactly that.

With all of the disinformation that people are exposed to on a daily basis, for my part, I'd like to see less of it with relation to J.S.A.

Wouldn't you?

Comment

Wanna know how I feel? See my sig.

(Not the bit about Kapplow's Kendo Fatties...)

Comment

"You must... reputation... Kenzan..."

Kenzan, may I put a link to your post in my sig? The fact that anybody can put anything on internet has pros and cons.

I don't think that I would have tried kendo if I would have seen those vids first.

Comment

Since the vid got removed found this little diddy(so did Kenzan). Note-check out Meiyodo's youtube account for more fun. This one has it all, physical threats, lies, McDojo, fake teachers...
                          http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c3RB2LL7VMc#mMfapEKmEA8

Comment

I like his 'bottle cutting on a trashcan' video.

Eurgh. I just said trashcan instead of dustbin...

Comment

I like that one too. My next favorite was the vid with "Master" Jeff, teaching the child to "fight" with a staff. Oh, I apoligize for the overuse of quotation marks.

Comment

Working...
                              X