Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sharing video files...how?

Hi folks,

After my recent postings regarding last week's AJKC, many of you have sent me messages requesting video clips from the event, as well as from Glasgow. I have over 3 gigs of video clips covering key matches from both events, and would love to share them, but I have yet to find a feasible way to distribute huge 50+ MB video files...

Sending them via instant messaging is not exactly practical, as it requires both parties to be online at the same time, and sending to multiple recipients at the same time hogs bandwidth, especially for those of us behind sluggish connections...

So - does anyone here have access to a server with plenty of space and hooked up via a fast connection? Perhaps we can arrange something for people on this forum to share files?

Please advise!

Originally posted by olaf
    Hi folks,

After my recent postings regarding last week's AJKC, many of you have sent me messages requesting video clips from the event, as well as from Glasgow. I have over 3 gigs of video clips covering key matches from both events, and would love to share them, but I have yet to find a feasible way to distribute huge 50+ MB video files...

Sending them via instant messaging is not exactly practical, as it requires both parties to be online at the same time, and sending to multiple recipients at the same time hogs bandwidth, especially for those of us behind sluggish connections...

So - does anyone here have access to a server with plenty of space and hooked up via a fast connection? Perhaps we can arrange something for people on this forum to share files?

Please advise!
    I can think only to make a "kendo video" hub in DC (or DC++ :-)

Comment

The best way is to use a distributed peer-to-peer protocol so no one computer is overloaded. A really good one for this sort of purpose is bittorrent. It's free, simple to use and safe.

Comment

I would like to have a copy too. My friend has DSL and he can down load it for me. I need to know I should I do to get it.

Comment

Originally posted by Neil Gendzwill
          The best way is to use a distributed peer-to-peer protocol so no one computer is overloaded. A really good one for this sort of purpose is bittorrent. It's free, simple to use and safe.
          Yeah... bittorrent is great... the more people trying to get the file, the faster the transfer will go. Unlike other p2p programs, in bittorrent you start uploading the file the second you start downloading, so its much more efficient. It would be great if we could get some decent video files circulating.

Comment

Please keep us updated, i would be interested in downloading this year's AJKCs!

Comment

Hey folks,

BitTorrent seems awfully difficult to set up...

Any easier/user-friendly solutions?

Comment

Originally posted by olaf
                Hey folks,

BitTorrent seems awfully difficult to set up...

Any easier/user-friendly solutions?
                The easiest P2P software probably would be kazaalite or something. Install, dump the video files into the shared folder and let it go... of course, you'll need to tell people when you are on at first so people can get it if you don't leave your computer on. Then it will filter out to the rest of us eventually. Not the best solution, but the easiest to set up and let run.

Of course, it would be even easier to find a server with alot of space... but then you'd have to get it all to them anyway at first.

Comment

Ok folks,

Since so many of you have PM'ed me about video clips, I've salvaged an old and crumbling Windows 98 machine at home, and will try to set up an FTP or web server on it later this week. I'm behind a so-called 3 Mb DSL line, though I've never seen it work faster than 30-50 kb/sec. Once I work out all the nitty-gritty (ie, port forwarding, etc.), I will let you all know.

I plan to have roughly 6 gigs free, half of which will be taken up by my clips. I'll leave enough space for those of you wishing to upload and share your own videos.

I hope this works out...

Comment

Alright folks,

Here it goes: FTP to 218.102.223.156 port 1021
                    Username: kendo Password: tsuki

Plenty of clips already there. Again, it's a slow DSL line, so be patient.

If you are interested in uploading more clips to share with everyone, please message me and I will give you login details. The login account above has limited access priveleges.

Let me know of any problems.

Comment

Small change!

Use this address instead: olafolaf.dyndns.org
                      Other parameters remain the same.

I've had to use a dynamic DNS provider because my ISP uses PPPoE. The server may be down sporadically as I am still experimenting with various configurations, etc.

Comment

Sorry Olaf, my ftp program keeps saying "can't resolve olafolaf.dyndns.org". Is it just standard port 21?

Thanks!

PS. Has anyone thought of sharing stuff over WinMX?
                        Last edited by tanueirin; 14th November 2003, 10:39 PM.

Comment

[QUOTE=tanueirin]Sorry Olaf, my ftp program keeps saying "can't resolve olafolaf.dyndns.org". Is it just standard port 21?
                          QUOTE]

port 1021. Worked great for me 2 days ago.
                          Thanks Olaf.

Comment

Tell you the truth, I am not a computer geek. As the matter of fact, I don't understand any of the above at all. Please someone instructs me step by step.

Comment

As soon as I get mine working, I'll let you know.

Sorry Olaf, tried again tonight with ports 21 and 1021 and still got "cannot resolve etc etc" message. Anyone got in recently? PS. Thanks very much Olaf, we all appreciate the effort that you've put into setting this up.

Comment

Working...
                              X