Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Living this far North has its disadvantages

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Living this far North has its disadvantages

    This is just outside my home at 11 in the evening:
    "Let there be light..Bloody hell!"

    The sun sets at around 11.15 in the evening and rise at 2.51 in the morning... It never really gets dark.. At least you Brits can go to bed when its dark!

    [/end of random griping]

  • #2
    That's why I insist on staying in Lule. We have long winters but the summers make up for it. Next year I'm going to be in Kiruna which should have even more extreme differences.

    Wait you mean it's a bad thing. I don't get it.

    Comment


    • #3
      Temperature?

      And windspeed, BTW?
      Last edited by Sparv; 22nd June 2008, 04:14 AM.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by Fred27 View Post
        This is just outside my home at 11 in the evening:
        "Let there be light..Bloody hell!"
        At least you Brits can go to bed when its dark!

        [/end of random griping]
        Don't think so, here, in Edinburgh, now it is not completely dark at night on these days, and, even worse up to the north. Still on the properties of Queen Elizabeth II, of course.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by NorthernKendoka View Post
          Wait you mean it's a bad thing. I don't get it.
          2 Weeks ago I had no problem with it...But then I replaced my curtains with a lighter & thinner material and PRESTO! Now I got trouble sleepin too because of it..

          Comment


          • #6
            I don't even have curtains, the light doesn't bother me. For me it's just positive that it isn't dark when I get up and go to work around 4:30 am, don't have any problems sleeping late on weekends either but I know some who have that problem.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Fred27 View Post
              2 Weeks ago I had no problem with it...But then I replaced my curtains with a lighter & thinner material and PRESTO! Now I got trouble sleepin too because of it..
              It has nothing to do with light. You got a syndrome called : You are alone for too long. The solution: get a movie called " the 40 years old virgin" and watch it every night before go to bed.

              Comment


              • #8
                Don't complain... do you know how much you are saving in light bulbs? Your probably saving the planet in the process. Nice view though. you could be looking out at a very well lit trash heap.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by NorthernKendoka View Post
                  I don't even have curtains, the light doesn't bother me. For me it's just positive that it isn't dark when I get up and go to work around 4:30 am, don't have any problems sleeping late on weekends either but I know some who have that problem.
                  I preferr the dark..With my preciouzzzzz

                  Originally posted by Big One View Post
                  It has nothing to do with light. You got a syndrome called : You are alone for too long. The solution: get a movie called " the 40 years old virgin" and watch it every night before go to bed.
                  If you have any young, female and pretty volonteers you can send them my way.

                  Originally posted by 1stdan View Post
                  Don't complain... do you know how much you are saving in light bulbs? Your probably saving the planet in the process. Nice view though. you could be looking out at a very well lit trash heap.
                  ooo! I can use that as a pickup line at the library where all the smart & enviromenty chicks hangout.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    It was like that when I was working in the Yukon last year - trying to sleep when its bright sunlight, in a white tent, listening to the mosquitos whining was IMPOSSIBLE. Wrapping a black scarf around my head did the trick in the end.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      aww poor fred
                      its just gotten dark here mind, and its not as north as you
                      i prefer to sleep with the curtains open so the morning light can come through the window without me having to get out of bed mind

                      hope you get used to it
                      just wait until the winter

                      also, is that a rainbow in the photo too?

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by rottunpunk View Post
                        aww poor fred
                        its just gotten dark here mind, and its not as north as you
                        i prefer to sleep with the curtains open so the morning light can come through the window without me having to get out of bed mind

                        hope you get used to it
                        just wait until the winter

                        also, is that a rainbow in the photo too?
                        Hehe, if I were to do that I would get up at around 2 in the morning as the sun rises earlier. In the winter its the exact opposite. The sun rises at around 10 in the morning and sets at around 2 in the afternoon. (in december)
                        There are studies that show people can develop & suffer from depression due to lack of sunshine. (unless you work outdoors)

                        Yeh thats a rainbow allright

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Sorry was someone having a conversation, I was asleep because it gets dark at night here! (hehe) And the sun has come up because it is morning. It's kind of like having winter during the months of June and July like in Oz! Never quite got my head around throwing some more shrimps on the barbie in December ON THE BEACH.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by rottunpunk View Post

                            also, is that a rainbow in the photo too?
                            Oh I forgot to mention. I did walk to the end of that rainbow and found Kenzan sitting on a pot of gold

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by Fred27 View Post
                              2 Weeks ago I had no problem with it...But then I replaced my curtains with a lighter & thinner material and PRESTO! Now I got trouble sleepin too because of it..
                              Lack of sleep.....this must be why you Swede's are always shagging, or thinking about it.

                              Originally posted by rottunpunk View Post
                              also, is that a rainbow in the photo too?
                              Either that or a 'pride' flag on Fred's balcony

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X