So, is kendo sport or art?

What would Musashi think?

Comment

Jackson Pollock, Full Fathom Five 1947

Comment

Bag-man Riding Bull by Musashi

Comment

An aside about wearing swords on your back

In movies you see people wearing swords on their back with the hilt coming up from behind the right shoulder. If Japanese swordsmen wore swords on their backs at all, it was with the hilt coming from the left shoulder. It's too hard to draw the sword otherwise.

Comment

OK, OK, so it's "Sasaki Kojiro"....

Please forgive my ignorance.

Comment

Shjees, not much of a looker is he?

Comment

Originally posted by Niels
                Shjees, not much of a looker is he?
                I guess back then you didn't need to be good looking to be famous and successful. There's a self portrait of musashi using nitoh and in that he looks a little like Mr. Burns from the Simpsons.

Comment

Nanbanjin, Can you provide links for the above images rather than pasting the images in?

It starts to take up too much bandwidth, and for those on modem connections, it takes forever to load up.

Cheers

Comment

pardon my ignorance hamish, but how does it increase bandwidth for you if the images are hosted outside the KW server?

about dial ups, yes, i guess ppl with this kind of connection should be aware of the delay on the multimedia section....

Comment

Originally posted by Paburo
                      pardon my ignorance hamish, but how does it increase bandwidth for you if the images are hosted outside the KW server?

about dial ups, yes, i guess ppl with this kind of connection should be aware of the delay on the multimedia section....
                      My thoughts exactly. In fact, all I provided was links. The only difference is that I wrapped them in [img]url[/img] brackets. This just loads the images automatically when the page loads. This should be done on the client side; the KW servers shouldn't come into the equation. For all but those on dialup the img tags are nothing more than a cosmetic difference. And not including them looks crappy.

For those on dialup... suffer!
                      Alternatively, cancel the page, or if you think its worth it wait a while.
                      Last edited by Nanbanjin; 27th October 2004, 10:33 PM.

Comment

Just out of interest and for future reference, is there anyone out there loading this page on dialup? Just how bad is it?

Further to my defence, one of the images in the "Post picts of yourself" is over 600kb!!! Hamish only noticed mine because they are big and flashy. Even the largest image in this collection is less than 200kb.

Hamish, if you are still concerned please feel free to edit the [img] tags out of this thread.

Comment

Nice but I believe there is copyright on some of these prints.

Comment

Originally posted by Nanbanjin
                            Just out of interest and for future reference, is there anyone out there loading this page on dialup? Just how bad is it?
                            yeah, i'm on dial-up. i wasn't counting, but it took about 5-10 minutes( ) to load the first page. not too bad, but a little annoying

cool prints though

Comment

here's another one; you'll have to click to placate Hamish.
                              http://133.9.157.146/web50/image/enp...0/005-0300.jpg

side note: if anyone's interested in Ukiyo-e, here's a big database (although if you can't read japanese it's a little difficult to search).

浮世絵閲覧システム - 検索結果

Comment

Originally posted by Nanbanjin
                                Notice the position of his katana implying Musashi's readiness for attack.

Comment

Working...
                                X