X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Misogi

At www.aiki.com near the bottom og the page, they have a DVD called 'Misogi' it looks pretty good, an ddoes anyone know how good it is? also, not ot train off of videos, are there any like.. "misogi dojos"?
    Thanks all.

Sorry, I really don't know much about akido. Thats seems to be a cool site though. Tell me, I have been tkhinking about cross-training kendo and karate. Not integrating them, just cross-training. In your opinion do you think akido would be better?

Richmond-san

Comment

Originally posted by Richmond-san
      Sorry, I really don't know much about akido. Thats seems to be a cool site though. Tell me, I have been tkhinking about cross-training kendo and karate. Not integrating them, just cross-training. In your opinion do you think akido would be better?

Richmond-san
      aikido is blending with a attack, with arm pins and such. If you do take Aikido, your balance gets better, for it uses emphasize on proper foot work, also stopping a attack before it occurs, or blocking it. Aikido is not a damaging art, unless you want to damage the person. It is a ethical choice. Also, later on in Aikido, you might get to do Aiki-ken. But, ask yourself, "Why (insert martial art)?"
      I take Aikido to blend with a attack, and to purify my body. Using Aikido, I could effectively fell a opponet with out to serious injury.

It's up to you, weigh the choices. Why do you want to take karate?

Comment

Originally posted by Light Samurai
        Also, later on in Aikido, you might get to do Aiki-ken.
        What is Aiki-ken?
        I perceice, Uechiba sensei's aikido as a mirror image of kendo. All defence no attack vs all attack no defence. The angle of the feet used in aikido will screw up your kendo footwork big time although the square of the hips and the knife hand techniques might help with kaeshi wasa.

Comment

Aiki-ken was devloped in Iwama-ryu style of Aikido, and now most Aikido dojo have aiki-ken, along with aiki-jodo.

Comment

Aiki-ken was devloped in Iwama-ryu style of Aikido, and now most Aikido dojo have aiki-ken, along with aiki-jodo.
            Do you mean the a) Aikido knife, bokken or Jo techniques, b) the Iaido like kata that is practiced in some dojo's or c) something else?
            Did you actually sign up/pay for aiki-ken training or is it part of your standard Aikido training/curriculum? Do your sensei use bokken, iaito,or shinken during Aiki-ken practice?

Comment

Originally posted by mark
              Do you mean the a) Aikido knife, bokken or Jo techniques, b) the Iaido like kata that is practiced in some dojo's or c) something else?
              Did you actually sign up/pay for aiki-ken training or is it part of your standard Aikido training/curriculum? Do your sensei use bokken, iaito,or shinken during Aiki-ken practice?
              i mean A, as in the sword, and jo techniques with a Aiki touch to them. In my dojo, Aiki-ken is part of the Aikido experince, with no extra fees, in some dojo, it may be seperate, In Aiki-ken we use Bokuto/Bokken, including the Sensei. (Shihan in this case.)

Comment

Light Samurai, I did not know there was a name for that part of practice. Thanks for the info

Comment

Originally posted by mark
                  Light Samurai, I did not know there was a name for that part of practice. Thanks for the info
                  Anytime. I love Aiki-ken, and kendo because they all show a form of peace.

Comment

are there any like.. "misogi dojos"?
                    There is one right here where I live ,

http://members2.jcom.home.ne.jp/ichikukai/eindex.html

- Kibu

Comment

Misogi isn't a type of Dojo. It's a type of Medition to do with Shinto, i believe it's cleansing your spirit of all evil or something of that nature. Blacksmiths in Japan have perform it a lot when forging a sword (I may be wrong with the Blacksmith).

Comment

Purification

It's a form of Purification where you stand under a waterfall or in a lake in a fundoshi (the most sacry part) saying norito (the 2nd most scary part... you'll forget what you were saying) . If you want guides their are a few URLs I could post.
                        I also recommend that you talk to Rev. Barnesh at the Tsubaki Grand Shrine of America.
                        Also, If you live in Washington state I recommend you visit (and say some norito for me and mail me a O-mamori) :-)

Comment

Originally posted by Charuzu
                          It's a form of Purification where you stand under a waterfall or in a lake in a fundoshi (the most sacry part) saying norito (the 2nd most scary part... you'll forget what you were saying) . If you want guides their are a few URLs I could post.
                          I also recommend that you talk to Rev. Barnesh at the Tsubaki Grand Shrine of America.
                          Also, If you live in Washington state I recommend you visit (and say some norito for me and mail me a O-mamori) :-)
                          Thanks. I don't live near washington state. Maybe I can persuade GoldenShinai to go with me sometime.
                          Peace and Love.

Comment

You could just E-mail him, the Tsubaki web site is at: http://www.TsubakiShrine.com

Comment

Originally posted by Richmond-san

Richmond-san
                              I have done wado-ryu karate for 3 years, this is a semi contact form with alot of kata in it, and to be honest I don't know how kendo could benefit from karate.

Comment

Working...
                              X