Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dojo website

Hi guys,

Just want to get some feedbacks for my dojo's website.

http://kendo-dojo.org/minnehaha/

Nothing's working yet, just got it layout today.

Thanks!

Looks good. You might want to lighten up the "kendo" kanji. It's pretty dark and a little hard to see. The same goes for the color of the links. Something just a bit lighter would make it easier to see.

Comment

Really nice!

A few suggestions... The large image (with the kanji) is a little to close to the text. Try setting a little larger margin.

White text on black background is generally not a very good idea for long texts. Consider that when making your final texts. Also try changing the text color from #ffffff to something a little less bright.

Comment

hi mugu

some comments from a fellow webmaster:

-the top area seems too empty, it could use a tittle or a banner, or if kept empty at least lift the main menu a bit more to the top.

-it wouldnt hurt to post an image or a banner of kendo being practiced somewhere (check out the ajkf page for instance). not all people who will stumble to your page will know what kendo is about...

i guess only that for now.... it would be better to comment once the layout is more developed.

Comment

I rather like the white text on black background, but I'm an old green screen terminal user, so you know where my design preferences were born.

Whatever you do, you have to work in your kendo kitty graphic somewhere!

Comment

Thanks for the comments!

I noticed something that I messed up the CSS, so the one you guys saw probably wasn't it. But I do agree that I need to lighten up the kanji, though at the same time I kind of want it to be look like a watermark. I'll definately lighten up the links, the colors look so much damn brighter on my work's monitor.

Comment

Another suggestion, the brown background (which I like) is a 47K gif, while this is not a problem for me as I'm browsing at work, it is always good to design with the home user in mind.
              Dialup users are still a large proportion of internet users and not a group you want to discourage.

I also agree about the contrast between the background and the kendo kanji, it's a bit dark to see, but if subtle is your game, then go for it.

Otherwise it looks great!

Comment

Thanks for all the comments, mmm looks like I still messed up with some parts of the CSS. I'll fix all those stuff tonight.

My inspiration for this website = bored at work, lol

Comment

Looks good so far. Maybe a slightly larger text might help as well as possibly an introductory greeting at the top rather than straight to news and events.

Comment

If you want to do yourself a long-term favor, look for some interactive, web-administrable scripts for dynamic content like news, calendar and the gallery. (www.hotscripts.com - perl or php, depending what your server/hoster supports)

When the novelty has worn off, managing a website can become a big hassle very fast, when you have to update pages all the time yourself.
                    Better install something with a web-frontend and look for authors that keep the site up to date.

Comment

Originally posted by ReKru
                      Better install something with a web-frontend and look for authors that keep the site up to date.
                      In my opinion, CMS is not very helpful at all unless you add or update info very often, or if you have a really large group of people that need to change different parts of the site.
                      Our club uses a CMS, but then we are a club of about 800+ people with six different martial arts.

Comment

Originally posted by h2o
                        In my opinion, CMS is not very helpful at all unless you add or update info very often, or if you have a really large group of people that need to change different parts of the site.
                        Our club uses a CMS, but then we are a club of about 800+ people with six different martial arts.
                        Don't need a full CMS. There's plenty of nice, little 'News' scripts that just let you put the usual announcements for new beginner classes/seminars/tournaments etc. on the site. In calendar form, with user registration, with forum-like features, with picture uploads etc. etc.

Many websites I see have their last news from last year or two years ago - doesn't look very alive and a first time visitor might feel a bit lost when he's looking for a newbie course and only finds 2001's dates - because the ambition of the original site-designer got lost on the way and the update material is somewhere on his desk/in his trashbin and not on the site.

If the site is hard to update, it won't get updated much - if it doesn't get updated much, it misses half of it's potential use.

I'm doing non-profit webdesign for a decade now and learned my lesson - always let other people do the 'dirty work' after you've set up the page.

Comment

Yes, but that is probably not a technical problem, but a human problem. If a club is so "dead" that it doesn't update it's homepage, I doubt that it will do it even if it is a tiny bit easier. I agree that a "newsscript" would simplify things though.

Webmastering is pain, lucky I don't have any sites under my responsibility nowadays

Comment

It's an organisational problem.
                            You can either make yourself the bottleneck and be responsible for everything technical and content that happens on your website, or you can plan something that allows different club members to take care of the content side without extensive HTML knowledge and without giving them ftp access to your server.

Webmastering can be fun, if you spread the responsibility and don't end up with CDs full of material that you 'need' to put on the web 'somehow' and asap.

Comment

Originally posted by ReKru
                              It's an organisational problem.
                              You can either make yourself the bottleneck and be responsible for everything technical and content that happens on your website, or you can plan something that allows different club members to take care of the content side without extensive HTML knowledge and without giving them ftp access to your server.

Webmastering can be fun, if you spread the responsibility and don't end up with CDs full of material that you 'need' to put on the web 'somehow' and asap.
                              Yeah, OK, you win. I admit that a CMS is really good unless there is only one person who is supposed to update news, and it happens very seldom.

I am a big fan of CMS myself, since it is superior when it comes to keeping a site consistent and it makes updating the visual appearance a breeze. At least compared to if you have to go through perhaps more than 50 pages

I think our club homepage is a quite good example of good use of a CMS: http://www.linkopings-budoklubb.org. Those who actually put things on the page (i.e. the instructors, which I am not) states that it is also very easy to use. Just to make it absolutely clear: I am not the creator of the site, or has in anyway helped making it. That is the work of another clubmember whos skills are far greater than mine
                              Last edited by h2o; 30th September 2005, 05:57 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X