Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Kendo vs?

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Kendo vs?

    Has any one here ever thought of getting some kendo friends together and have a koryu style taikai that includes other types of Japanese weapons? Naginata, Nito ryu, Kusari gama, Judo, Yari, Jutte etc?

    Check out this video
    http://www.kakutospirit.net/html/iaido/vskama.html

    What other kendo vs.... videos are out there?

  • #2
    Originally posted by Musha
    Has any one here ever thought of getting some kendo friends together and have a koryu style taikai that includes other types of Japanese weapons? Naginata, Nito ryu, Kusari gama, Judo, Yari, Jutte etc?
    Not while being sober

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by Musha
      Has any one here ever thought of getting some kendo friends together and have a koryu style taikai that includes other types of Japanese weapons? Naginata, Nito ryu, Kusari gama, Judo, Yari, Jutte etc?

      Check out this video
      http://www.kakutospirit.net/html/iaido/vskama.html

      What other kendo vs.... videos are out there?
      There was nito at the LaCrosse kendo taikai I just went to. I've seen several video online with naginata vs kendo as well. But Judo?

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by h2o
        Not while being sober
        I think we should keep what happened at our iaikiken (居合氣剣) party to ourselves, we might attract "some people" who will go on and on about how we might have killed eachother.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by Mr. Donigan
          There was nito at the LaCrosse kendo taikai I just went to.
          I must have completely missed that.

          Comment


          • #6
            I've been thinking about creating a tournament using different styles, like naginata vs kendo but there are styles that will always hold a distinct advantage to another.
            Multiple styles would be fun to be pitched (like fencing vs kendo) but how often could you train against different styles? I LARP (no shame), which gives me the experience of fighting against different weapons and styles but the group is mostly untrained.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by SkippyDaStudent
              I must have completely missed that.
              It was one of the sensei's from Central Indiana. I don't remember his name right off the top of my head though. He made quick work of our shodan in the team match and Suguwara sensei whooped me after about 20 seconds.

              As far as having alternate weapons vs. kendo, the only consistent one I've seen is isshujiai (naginata vs kendo) as far as actual shiai goes. I have seen still photos of kata done with bokuto vs two kodachi, naginata vs bokuto, and bokuto vs two kodachi but that's pretty much it.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Okami
                I think we should keep what happened at our iaikiken (居合氣剣) party to ourselves, we might attract "some people" who will go on and on about how we might have killed eachother.
                Ah come on - out with it...

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by ShinKenshi
                  It was one of the sensei's from Central Indiana. I don't remember his name right off the top of my head though. He made quick work of our shodan in the team match and Suguwara sensei whooped me after about 20 seconds.
                  When was this?

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Mr. Donigan
                    There was nito at the LaCrosse kendo taikai I just went to. I've seen several video online with naginata vs kendo as well. But Judo?

                    LaCrosse Kendo , now there's a sport I'd like to see!!!!

                    cheers Michael

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by Musha
                      Has any one here ever thought of getting some kendo friends together and have a koryu style taikai that includes other types of Japanese weapons? Naginata, Nito ryu, Kusari gama, Judo, Yari, Jutte etc?

                      Check out this video
                      http://www.kakutospirit.net/html/iaido/vskama.html

                      What other kendo vs.... videos are out there?
                      this video was posted somewhere else.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by SkippyDaStudent
                        When was this?
                        It was during our team match. Carleton College vs Central Indiana. I think we were one of the first to go.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by gsx1100s
                          LaCrosse Kendo , now there's a sport I'd like to see!!!!

                          cheers Michael
                          Not sure if this was a joke but La Crosse is a city in Wisconsin where the most recent MWKF taikai was held.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            A different lacrosse.

                            Originally posted by ShinKenshi
                            Not sure if this was a joke but La Crosse is a city in Wisconsin where the most recent MWKF taikai was held.
                            Lacrosse was Canada's first national sport. It's a lot like hockey, but there are little nets on the ends of the sticks and the ball is passed through the air from stick to stick and shot at a net with a goalie that usually looks like a Transformer from all the equipment they wear.

                            It's already a very physical sport. Adding kendo would give it some refinement.

                            I've heard there's another lacrosse in Quebec that made GM change the name of a Buick there.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by Okami
                              I think we should keep what happened at our iaikiken (居合氣剣) party to ourselves, we might attract "some people" who will go on and on about how we might have killed eachother.
                              Haha, no I know, that's why I didn't give any details. But boy, that was sure fun as hell

                              Originally posted by ScottUK
                              Ah come on - out with it...
                              Let's just say that no one got seriously hurt. I'll let Okami fill in the gaps if he thinks it's appropriate
                              Last edited by h2o; 19th November 2005, 08:19 PM.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X