X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• UK ban on Aussie ad

Has anyone seen the advertisement of the Australian Tourism authority that has recently been banned by the British gov't?

(If you haven't heard about this, read this article)

I just saw the advert ... and have to say I see nothing wrong with the commercial! Agree? Disagree? It's a perfectly good ad ... just the slogan is a wee strange, but ok ... why not

Here's a link to go see the advert by the way: http://www.wherethebloodyhellareyou.com/

(Once you're on the site just click the 'view the tv ad' button, but of course, you could've figured that out ...)

I'll just bet Queen Victoria is spinning in her grave.

"We are not amused...."

In this day of being so sensitive to others' feelings, we forget to be human and laugh at ourselves.

Long live those who speak their minds, regardless of the issue, because without them, we're all sheep.

"Man is the only animal that blushes...or needs to. - Mark Twain"

I'm heading for the beach, I want to meet that young lady and tell her where the bloody hell I've been.

Comment

... well, I was suprised that it had been banned in the UK, I know it has also been modified for China, but can understand the interpretation of a Bloody Hell might be different there.

Anyway, I thought the ad was very lame, nice vision but puts Australians back about 20 years.

Bloody hell is a common expression which basically means "WOW!" but is not very often used in the sense in the ad normally more like - blooodee hellll ! as in "far out"

At least its better than "put another shrimp on the barbie

Cheers ya bloody bastards

Comment

Erm...

... I thought it was, at least, a little different.

Comment

Originally posted by IamNastey
          Bloody hell is a common expression which basically means "WOW!" but is not very often used in the sense in the ad normally more like - blooodee hellll ! as in "far out"
          Yea .. I know of the expression, just wondering how it'd make a good tourism slogan?? Well I guess it's working in a way, because I now remember it

Comment

I was expecting some kind of controversy but what was wrong with that ad?

Comment

Originally posted by Bear of Doom
              Yea .. I know of the expression, just wondering how it'd make a good tourism slogan?? Well I guess it's working in a way, because I now remember it
              I can only say that the Ad agency, PR company and Tourism will be rubbing their hands together at how much exposure this has had. There is nothing bad about it, In my opinion from an industry point of view it is a bit lame, but the vision is fantastic.

Cheers

PS. A very successful campaign that ran over here was "bugger" for Toyoto. Bugger in slang here means damn or "ya old bugger" - friend. Caused quite a debate, but won thru - obviously domestic market only.

Bugger literally - To tail gun!

Comment

We used to see the Toyota Ads on the late night "Rude Ads" shows in the UK.

If find it strange, nobody swears like the English. I guess it's an old holdover from the days of decorum at the BBC etc

Comment

its obvious.
                  it'll make everyone want to go there instead of blackpool in the summer-duh

Comment

It is why I came here!

Comment

A solution everyone! They lifted the bloody ban ... (as expected, I mean it's a ridiculous ban)

http://today.reuters.co.uk/news/news...TRALIA-ADS.XML

I love a happy ending ... kinda like the ad, makes me want to go to Oz! ... some fishing and diving with loads of Foster's ... it'll do, it'll do quite nicely

Thanks for all the inputs everyone, good read

Comment

Hey, don't forget New Zealand banned Toyota's immensley popular "Bugger" add for swearing. Though I know NZers who loved it and were disappointed when it was taken off air. We'll PC ourselves into a state of ultra conservatism and bad suits one day soon.

Comment

Originally posted by Maro
                          If find it strange, nobody swears like the English.
                          True, but the Scots and the Irish give us a run for our money...

Comment

Originally posted by ScottUK
                            Couldn't agree more hahaha.

I find nothing wrong with that ad, if anything its amusing

Comment

Originally posted by ScottUK
                              Ah but only the Irish can make you want to thank them for cussing you out.

Comment

Working...
                              X