X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fukuoka - Hoy

2 days till I, and the Irish WKC delegation, head for Fukuoka for a 10 day training session with Sumi Sensei hacidan..

I am sheeting it

Training 9-13 in the morning and 5-8 in the evening.

Any advice? On the kendo or the place itself?

What is eveyone else doing to prepare for the WKC (i am not competing but going for the training camp)?

Ganbatte. I envy you.

Comment

Good luck fella

That is all.

Comment

Go to Hakata Bay - where the Mongols invaded - very nice place to visit (if the weather holds out).

You're only a train ride from Ganryujima (near Kokura-kita ward) where Musahi fought Kojiro - also very cool place to see. Get the train to Mojiko and then a short ferry... don't forget to carve an oar en-route!
        Last edited by ScottUK; 24th November 2006, 01:16 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by ScottUK
          don't forget to carve an oar en-route!
          yeah, either that or kill everyone who gets in your way (preferrably with your bokuto)... =)

Comment

Originally posted by bobdonny
            Any advice? On the kendo or the place itself?
            Have fun and thank your lucky charms that you're not going in the Summer!
            Also avoid meitaiko like the clap.

Comment

nice advice all round

How bout meitaiko? should i carve 2 oars for there

Comment

Originally posted by bobdonny
                nice advice all round

How bout meitaiko? should i carve 2 oars for there
                It's minging cod eggs mixed with some spice. Fukuoka is famous for it so you are likely going to have at least one of your hosts feed it to you, then you are going to have to eat it and lie through your teeth about how yummy it is. 1 oar should be enough, just besure to swing it at whoever brings you that stuff.

Comment

Aburayama

For some more recent history you could go to Aburayama, which is now a public park. During WWII it was a place where a group of Japanese junior officers took captured American airmen and executed them using 'budo' techniques: karate (didn't work apparently), kyudo and iaido. One of those officers, whose death sentence was commuted, is now kendo hanshi 9 dan.

http://home.comcast.net/~winjerd/IMTFE_2.htm

b

Comment

Definitely say HAI out loud to head for the Tabe/ Nomi-houdai restaurant and drain their Asahi stock dry!!

I got tricked into that meitaiko once with a cute bento on Shinkansen... Felt so cheated that I'd never had eki-bento again!!

Comment

Originally posted by ben
                      For some more recent history you could go to Aburayama, which is now a public park. During WWII it was a place where a group of Japanese junior officers took captured American airmen and executed them using 'budo' techniques: karate (didn't work apparently), kyudo and iaido. One of those officers, whose death sentence was commuted, is now kendo hanshi 9 dan.

http://home.comcast.net/~winjerd/IMTFE_2.htm

b
                      Thanks for this like Ben, it makes some quite startiling reading. Its gonna take me some time to go through it, but I will.

It says all the death sentences were commuted because the Allies (ie Americans) mood changed due to the Korean War. Japan was an enemy-turned-ally.

Comment

Originally posted by mingshi
                        Definitely say HAI out loud to head for the Tabe/ Nomi-houdai restaurant and drain their Asahi stock dry!!
                        Most of these places have now put some fine print (in Japanese of course) on their menus to save them from the beer guzzling gaijin hoards, and enkai drink-a-thons. It usually comes in the form of 90 minute time limit, which is easily remedied by ordering 2,3,or4 big boys per person at a time! 2 or 3 heavy hitters in a group of 7 to 10 is usually enough to put the squeeze on them. Also remember that they start taking their sweet time to bring you beers, so make sure you order well before you're done.
                        I'm an enkai 8-dan

Originally posted by mingshi
                        Felt so cheated that I'd never had eki-bento again!!
                        Bento for the most isn't that good no matter where you buy it, especially if it has fried food in it. When bento is suggested I usually say "get bento".

Comment

Training at Fukuoka University of Education must have been the best time of my kendo life (did a month in there during august this year).

Enjoy the training, listen to Sumi sensei (he is a good guy _unless_ you fcuk things up), do lots of kendo with the students (and have a chotto ippai once in a while with them as well).

Comment

woo! bob the accupunture worked on my foot! yeah sumi is an unimaginable sensei! we were very lucky for this opportunity! and gaining titles is allthe more fun! (irish delegation will know)

Comment

THe DVD of our exploits is now available from Kendo Na h-Eireann for Euro25. It covers 12 days from dublin to japan, and full access to the WKC.

Comment

Working...
                              X