Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Excuse to parents???

guys ,

i wanted to know from u people what excuse would u give ur parents if they were against u goin to japan for kendo. my parents think i am wasting my time if i go... ok not everybody has tough parents....but maybe we can have some really crazy excuses that work out ,right here in this thread..

ur replies are appreciated.......

How about,

"Mum, Dad, I am a grown adult and I make my own choices, I will only be spending my money to get there and comitting no illegal acts in the process"

If you are not a responsible adult then this does not apply, and you should do as your parents say

Comment

learn japanese.... japanese, asian culture. expand horizon. etc. any educational stuff is good.

Comment

or you could just 'Disappear'

no, even better, fake your own death!

Comment

Originally posted by D'Artagnan
          How about,

"Mum, Dad, I am a grown adult and I make my own choices, I will only be spending my money to get there and comitting no illegal acts in the process"
          There might be a problem, though, concerning the money to get there... I suppose sid is still at school and wants to go after finishing (correct me if I'm wrong), so he won't have the money to pay for it. In case he wants to study after school he will most certainly also need his parents to support him, at least a bit.

Comment

" I will only be spending my money to get there "
            what bout those who cant say that.....
            i need them to support me for that too....n responsible adults think bout their parents too :-) right?

Comment

Originally posted by lucy
              There might be a problem, though, concerning the money to get there... I suppose sid is still at school and wants to go after finishing (correct me if I'm wrong), so he won't have the money to pay for it. In case he wants to study after school he will most certainly also need his parents to support him, at least a bit.

Well, then I guess he's buggered!

Comment

Originally posted by sid
                i need them to support me for that too....n responsible adults think bout their parents too :-) right?

Well if your family really don't want you to go, then you can't expect them to pay for it.

Perhaps, if you saved your pennies very hard and paid for yourself to go then they would realise how important it is too you.

I know my parents wouldn't fork out the cash for me to go off playing silly games with sticks on the other side of the globe...

Comment

If you haven't been going practicing Kendo for a good period of time, going to Japan won't be all that helpful. If your parents won't let you go, its because they either don't think you have a good reason for going, or that you are not responsible enough to go. Getting a job to earn money to go could show them that this is something you are commited to. I worked out a deal with my parents that if I raised half of the $5000 dollars for a trip, they would help pay for it. I ended up getting a scholarship there through the exchange program YFU (Youth for Understanding), and I only had to pay for the flight there and back. If money is an issue, the YFU program might be somethign to look into. Regardless, you have to show your parents that this is something that you want, and that you will be willing to work for it.

Comment

Originally posted by sid

Maybe you should just be patient and wait a few years before you go.

Think about it, if you go now, you wont appreciate it as much as would, lets say, when you are more advanced in you kendo.

For example, when i was kinda new in bogu, I got a chance to get to practice with some masters from Korea, and then I got to practice with them again a year later, and I was able to appreciate it much much much more. And if I got to practice with them now, or a year from now, i would appreciate even more than the last time.

Patience is a virtue my friend. Let it happen.

Comment

Well if your family really don't want you to go, then you can't expect them to pay for it.

Perhaps, if you saved your pennies very hard and paid for yourself to go then they would realise how important it is too you.

I know my parents wouldn't fork out the cash for me to go off playing silly games with sticks on the other side of the globe...

ya thats exactly true...thanks anyways....
                      my parents dream of me as a mba from a good uni and earn in thousands walking arround in tie n suit with a leather bag making bussiness n good profits.....

guess thats what all of em want from us.... but when we ask ourselves.....do u really need that???

shit its tough to explain all this to em....

when i say to them its just a year so the next question is what next?? waht after 1 year of all that ? what do u do then........??

i think i really need a longer excuse than that one!!!!

Comment

Neither would my parents...

My mom already told me how stupid she thinks I am for planning to take my Iai+Kendo stuff to Australia for 4 weeks!
                        But I'll be staying in Melbourne and they have lots of dojos, why should I let such an opportunity pass me by??

I'm currently saving up for the plane ticket (and for my own bogu, which she doesn't know) by tutoring lots of "stupid dunderheads" so I can tell that it's hard. But worth it! After seeing how serious I am about going to Australia she has even offered me some kind of credit in case I won't be able to earn enough.

Comment

Originally posted by sid

when i say to them its just a year so the next question is what next?? waht after 1 year of all that ? what do u do then........??
                          I guess you'll have to find a way to reassure them about what's next and show what kind of benefits you're going to get from that journey.
                          You have to argue your own case, and your "credentials" (how well you're doing at school.....etc) will also play on there final decision.

Good luck and don't get frustrated if they say no, if you trully want to go there, you'll have other opportunities in the futur, just keep up the kendo training.

Comment

mi dad think like the same he prefers to leave in europe studying medicine or whatever. was a bid big discussion, but he (and my mother too) at last just leave me go. because they understand how important is kendo for me. like at the begginings... (my parents are not togheter) dad, i need to go to a tournament, but its our weekend togheter... mom you can leave in the dojo???... i want a carbon shinai for xmas... and that stuff... 1001 fights because the school... ``if you dont get good mark, no kendo`` and i respond: ``no kendo... no study``.

so you can imagine the rest.

im in katsuura right now.

Comment

Try telling your parents that kendo involves a high degree of discipline and that discipline will transfer to other parts of your life so when you return and go to uni you will be a model student due to your high level of self discipline. Adding this to cultural and language benifits.

If that fails keep the dream and go when you are self sufficient

Good Luck

Comment

Working...
                              X