X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• going to japan

Me and a couple friends are thinking of going to Kyoto for a week, while renting a inn in one of the older style rooms and having a extra tatami mats so it only costs around 50 a night for each person then 50 a day for food and around 1200 for a plane ticket in the fall does this sound right?

Originally posted by Saigo View Post
    Me and a couple friends are thinking of going to Kyoto for a week, while renting a inn in one of the older style rooms and having a extra tatami mats so it only costs around 50 a night for each person then 50 a day for food and around 1200 for a plane ticket in the fall does this sound right?
    1200? I think you could get cheaper than that if you look around in agencies. Go to your nearest china town. Maybe not that much cheaper but might save 200$.

Do you think you will travel to other place in japan? If so you should maybe consider buying a Train pass for a week.

Comment

On food,

You can eat for cheaper than $50 per day, if you don't care about fine dining. If money is tight and you want to spend cash on doing stuff instead of food, the convenience store can do breakfast with a beverage and some onigiri or something for 300yen. Lunch can be had at cheap places to eat like Gusto, Skylarks, or your random little shop for 600 - 800 yen. Then you can spend more on dinner if you like. If that needs to be cheap as well, go to the local supermarket and get a bento there for anywhere from 500 to 800 yen. Food is cheap if you do it right and don't care about "fine dining".

As for how to experience Kyoto transportation wise, I recommend a few options to save cash. Walking is great. You can take the train once to start a huge loop through tons of temples and sights, and then only take the train to get back home. If you want to bus or train a lot, they do sell day passes which are smart for non walkers. My favorite way of travelling was by bike though. My hotel had them for free to borrow, but you can rent them fairly cheaply and it can be cheaper than multiple bus and train trips.

And the best piece of advice that was given to me and I will pass it on, if you want to go to Fushimi Inari Jinja (the big hill and temple with the hundreds of Tori) then go at night. It is soooooo cool then. It can feel creepy, but if you feel safe with your group then it is worth it.

Comment

i found a ticket for 1070 so i am all happy, i am going with my sempai in kendo and possibly 2 other friends the plan for me is to make around 2500-3000 for the trip because i want a lot of spending money for kendo equipment.

Comment

when i go to kyoto i stay at the gojo guesthouse.
          http://www.gojo-guest-house.com/gojo...se/gojo-e.html

rooms are inexpensive and traditional. they have nice showers. they also a great cafe that has cheap beer (guinness is only 450 yen!) there is internet access also. i highly recommend this place.

Comment

Looks great, quick question though they say hostel but it is still individual rooms? right

Comment

Looks great, quick question though they say hostel but it is still individual rooms? right
              No idea why I'm still awake, but:

If you book a group room it's private for you and your companions. If you book individually you'll be in a shared dormitory with other customers. Men and women are in separate rooms.

You'll be hard pressed to find anywhere much cheaper in Kyoto (I've stayed in cheaper places but I wouldn't necessarily recommend them). I've not been to this place myself, but it sounds good: I may try it next time I'm in Kyoto.

Comment

awesome thx

Comment

Saigo,

We where in Japan (Kensai region) last month and averaged around USD 50.00 a day each for good food & drinks (Beer/Wine) So you shouldn't have any dramas.

Getting around Kyoto was pretty inexpensive as we normally walked to wherever we where going + got the rail/subway/bus back in the evening. Probably a good idea to look at JR rail pass and see what they want for a week, as there's plenty of places you can visit from Kyoto in a day

cheers

ANdrew

Comment

The rail pass really isn't worth it unless you plan on using the shinkansen more than once. Especially if you are going to spend your time in the city because the city subway/bus is cheaper and will take you to more places then JR can.
                    Food= convenience store, Matsuya, Yoshinoya Feasts and piss fests should be taken to chain izakaya like Uotami. This way you won't spend much at all on food.

Japan will suck money from you unless you spend it wisely.

Comment

they have two dorms rooms, one for men, and one for women. i know the women's dorm sleeps six. the men's dorm sleeps at least that many, maybe seven. then they have other rooms that sleep 2, 3, or 4 people. the guys dorm room is the farthest from the common/TV room. sometimes people hang out there late, even if they aren't suppose to. *guilty* it is a pretty social place. the cafe closes sometimes early, sometimes late. just depends if the guests want to stay up or not. i like it because there isn't a curfew. (kinda a rare thing in japan.) they give you the code for the front door so you can just let yourself in.
                      Last edited by neko; 8th May 2007, 12:23 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by xvikingx View Post
                        Japan will suck money from you unless you spend it wisely.
                        this is especially true of vending machines. since a 100yen coin looks to be about the size of a US quarter, we were plopping them into machines like crazy (i am slightly addicted to Qoo). it only felt like we were spending a quarter for drinks, when actually it was more like a buck.

Comment

Originally posted by neko View Post
                          .......the guys dorm room is the farthest from the common/TV room. sometimes people hang out there late, even if they aren't suppose to. *guilty* it is a pretty social place.
                          ahh jeez! i just reread my post. i meant that people hang out in the common room late, NOT the guys dorm room.

Comment

Originally posted by neko View Post
                            this is especially true of vending machines. since a 100yen coin looks to be about the size of a US quarter, we were plopping them into machines like crazy (i am slightly addicted to Qoo). it only felt like we were spending a quarter for drinks, when actually it was more like a buck.
                            This is especially true after being here for a while and forgetting that you are actually spending over a buck on a little can of Coke. Truth is the convenience stores are also quite expensive but they are cheaper than most restaraunts. Another tip is to avoid using the JR in Kansai (unless of course you bought a pass). It's expensive and always late.

Comment

Awesome guys you have been a lot of help

Comment

Working...
                              X