X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ahh help, Kendo near Ueno (In Tokyo)?

I'm living about 5 mins from Ueno, I want to start Kendo. I'm a total beginner to Kendo. Anyone know of a club around here to join?

I'm also looking for a Judo or MAYBE a karate club if anyone knows one.

Go to the nearest Police box Koban and ask them. You can also ask at the Zen Ken Ren office. Not the best way to find a dojo in Japan, but if you are polite, and sincere, you can probably find you way to a nearby club.

If you go to Noma Dojo (7-8 AM) in Gokokuji, you could ask about locating a kendo dojo near Ueno. Several of the sensei/senior-people there speak English.

BTW, it might be better to pick one budo to start with and then if you have enough mental battery power leftover you could add Judo and Karate after 5-6 months of kendo. If you take up kendo in Tokyo you will be able to fill every day with top level instruction, and still not learn enough (or so it will seem).

Good luck, bonne chance, Gambatte.
    Last edited by R Stroud; 9th May 2008, 06:48 AM.

Comment

Where do you work (if you work)? Sometimes I feel it is better to plan kendo after work (and it is good excuse to leave the office before 8pm!).

Comment

Asa geiko is the solution to the never ending Japanese business_day/drinking_fest

Comment

Originally posted by R Stroud View Post
          Asa geiko is the solution to the never ending Japanese business_day/drinking_fest
          I was told that Asa geiko was the best way to fix a big hang over and the lack of sleep sweating out the residual alcohol and toxins out of your system. Maybe that's just for the virile twentysomethings!

For the fortysomethings, I found that crawling to the toliet, vomiting, and crawling back to bed until midday whilst groaning "I going to die, why did we order and drink the second bottle of awamori, it should be re-classified as a toxic posion and be used exclusively to execute only the most sadistic of murders "

Comment

Originally posted by always_learning View Post
            I was told that Asa geiko was the best way to fix a big hang over and the lack of sleep sweating out the residual alcohol and toxins out of your system.
            Whoever said that is either full of sheet or is an alcoholic. What could possibly be worse for a hang over, let alone a BIG one, than screaming and getting hit in the head?

Comment

Originally posted by xvikingx View Post
              screaming and getting hit in the head?
              Thats what a lot of my hangovers involve, but not from kendo.

To the OP, if you are a total n00b you will need to do a little more of an extensive search, as not all dojo's cater for n00bs too well. If you speak Japanese it would help!

Comment

try here

If you can't read Japanese paste the link into google and translate it.

Have fun and keep us posted

Comment

damn edit timeout....

they now have english as well

Comment

Gibbo made an excellent point (actually two). You may want to find a place that has a large intergrate childrens/students group so that you can do more kihon practice. Most adult orientated practices may leave you swimming in the mix.

Originally posted by The great I AM View Post
                    Thats what a lot of my hangovers involve, but not from kendo.
                    Follow that up with some lovin' and things are usually all good.

Comment

Originally posted by xvikingx View Post
                      Follow that up with some lovin' and things are usually all good.
                      I'm not usually up for loving after giving it the Kabuki in to the toilet. My wife usually doesn't go in for a vom flavour kiss either. Can't think why...

Comment

Skip the kissing, problem solved.
                        In that state it's more like Viking raid... no funny business. Then you ask for some breakfast.

Comment

Working...
                        X