X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AUSKF Youth Exchange Program 2008 August

For the life of me, I can not find another thread on this.
    William has been selected, along with about 15 other youth to participate in the first Kendo Exchange program. Togawa and Maeda-senseis will be the senseis for the trip. I hope the program is a success and that other dojos spread the word about the program so their middle school and high school students apply next year (or whenever it is offered). In addition to daily Kendo with other students their age in Japan, the participants will experience many aspects of Japanese culture.
    Welcome Party
    Performance of traditional Japanese drums and local folk dance
    Kendo instruction & practice
    Kojiro Migita Sensei (Champion of All Japan Kendo Championships 1976, Head
    teacher of Nanryo High School, Kyoshi 8th Dan)
    Experience Japanese Culture
    Zen meditation & lecture in the morning of Aug. 5th -7th at Yoshoji Temple
    Calligraphy, Tea Ceremony, Flower Arrangement
    Visits
    Oku Kuma Pottery, Brewery & Folk Craft Museum
    Visit the Mayer of Kumamoto City
    Kumamoto Castle, Suizenji Park
    Reigando (cave)
    Farewell party
    Campfire and games with local middle and high school students

How old are the 'youths'?
    This sounds awesome.

Edit: LOL. The AUSKF say 'kendoists' and not kendoka.
    ...If only the BKA did something like this.

Comment

I know a couple people goin on this trip. They look very excited to go.

Comment

Awsome! I know that they will really enjoy it! I did my first exchange trip to Kumamoto for 6 weeks when I was a Junior in High school! It is a really cool place and they should enjoy the area! Glad they will get to see Kumamoto jo (Castle)! Also not sure if its on the list or not, but there is a grave site memorial for Mushi there and just a short walk from it is the actual dojo it self! Very nice dojo by the way! Sadly when I was there, no one was training! One peice of advice! In summer time it is very humid in Kumamoto! So be prepared to step out side and feel like you have been doing a hour plus work out! Enjoy and keep us updated as to how the exchange goes!!!!

Comment

I accidently erased that email. Can anyone send me the details again. Pleeeease.

Comment

Originally posted by Ookami7 View Post
            Awsome! I know that they will really enjoy it! I did my first exchange trip to Kumamoto for 6 weeks when I was a Junior in High school! It is a really cool place and they should enjoy the area! Glad they will get to see Kumamoto jo (Castle)! Also not sure if its on the list or not, but there is a grave site memorial for Mushi there and just a short walk from it is the actual dojo it self! Very nice dojo by the way! Sadly when I was there, no one was training! One peice of advice! In summer time it is very humid in Kumamoto! So be prepared to step out side and feel like you have been doing a hour plus work out! Enjoy and keep us updated as to how the exchange goes!!!!
            Was your exchange through your dojo or school? 6 weeks sounds great. He hopes to return next year for a longer stay.

Comment

Mine was through my High school, going through a program called Youth For Understanding ie YFU!, 2nd time did a 9 month exachange in Nagasaki city going to College over there. This time around been working in Kanagawa area 3 years teaching English! I wish him the best of luck and hope that he and everyone going will enjoy their stay!!!!

Comment

Youth Exchange

Hi Wmsmom,

I've been living in Kumamoto for the past four years. Ironically, I was speaking with Migita sensei last Sunday and he mentioned this camp and seemed very excited. I think Tagawa sensei is originally from the Taragi region, so it's a bit of a homecoming for him
                Your kids might actually be a bit taller that Migita sensei, but that won't discourage him. He's a great teacher and very encouraging.
                I unfortunately will be leaving the region right at this time, so I won't be able to take part. I wish your son and all participants a safe trip over and to enjoy the experience, make new connections through kendo. Also tell him to drink water, or anything non-alcoholic/carbonated-as others have said, it is HOT here in August!

Best wishes from,

Kumaken

Comment

Originally posted by kumaken View Post
                  Hi Wmsmom,

I've been living in Kumamoto for the past four years. Ironically, I was speaking with Migita sensei last Sunday and he mentioned this camp and seemed very excited. I think Tagawa sensei is originally from the Taragi region, so it's a bit of a homecoming for him
                  Your kids might actually be a bit taller that Migita sensei, but that won't discourage him. He's a great teacher and very encouraging.
                  I unfortunately will be leaving the region right at this time, so I won't be able to take part. I wish your son and all participants a safe trip over and to enjoy the experience, make new connections through kendo. Also tell him to drink water, or anything non-alcoholic/carbonated-as others have said, it is HOT here in August!

Best wishes from,

Kumaken
                  I am sorry you will be leaving at this time, but glad you had 4 years. I will pass your advice and good wishes along. he has been encouraged to begin a training regime outdoors as Memphis is also exceptionally hot and HUMID in the summer, but he is practicing in luxury of an air conditioned dojo here. Wm has been cautioned that training is rigorous and he will be pushed very hard. He is somewhat anxious and also excited, which is perfect combination! he asked for a japanese cell phone last week. We told him no. Focus on kendo, friends and fun. tell us about it when he gets back, but do not think of family during the trip!

Comment

Originally posted by Ookami7 View Post
                    Mine was through my High school, going through a program called Youth For Understanding ie YFU!, 2nd time did a 9 month exachange in Nagasaki city going to College over there. This time around been working in Kanagawa area 3 years teaching English! I wish him the best of luck and hope that he and everyone going will enjoy their stay!!!!
                    Thank you for the information. I have saved it for the future. He hopes to return for a longer stay next summer and YFU might be a good fit if the dojo can not arrange something.

Comment

i just came back from a 3 month homestay in japan, going to japanese high school and taking part in the kendo club every day. I think i can relate to how your son might be feeling in terms of anxiety etc. for the practices. I was also quite nervous before going, feeling like i wouldnt be able to make it through the practices because they would be super japanese death training sessions. Sure enough they practiced hard, with more stamina exercises etc. than we typically do over here in the states, and it WAS hard. However it wasnt a "i want to go hooommmeeeee /cry" type thing. I had soooo much fun, and even on the days were i felt like the practice was almost too much to handle, i was aided seeing that all the japanese club members were struggling and pushing through like myself, it was a group effort. Knowing that we were fighting together really helped it be a 'this is hard so lets 'FIGHTO!'' as opposed to a 'this is hard, i want to give up.' So its natural to be anxious about the practices, but try to turn that into excitement, because i'm sure he will have a great time!

So the sensei know that coming from America, your son, and the others going, will not be used to the same kind of practice as those who have been training in japan (mine did, he was so scary and hard on the native students, but one of the first things he told me was to go at my own pace!) but in addition to that, they will most likely be aware of the jet lag they will be experiencing. Jet lag going to japan, at least for myself, isn't that fun and i usually lay pretty low for the first several days, dont have much of an appetite etc. and am really tired mid-day/afternoon So to get the most out of the time there, i'm sure your son will want to take part in as many practices as possible, which is great! But he should be careful not to over do it =) I would suggest though he have a vitamin supplement of sorts and drink LOTS of water to help ease the jet lag.

This trip sounds like it will be an awesome experience! Have fun, William!

Comment

Originally posted by NigelSponge View Post
                        i

This trip sounds like it will be an awesome experience! Have fun, William!
                        (from William)
                        Dear nigel, thank you for giving me the tips. I will try to take them to heart. I will be timid at first. I am slightly scared about going without my mom, but the other stuff I will try to work real hard on making new friends and being myself around them.

Comment

Glad I could help! Yeah so far I have had wonderful dealings with YFU! My family still tries to stay active in area and help out some with YFU activies! As well as having gone on the exchange, I also have a host brother from Okinawa and a host sister from Germany that both stayed with my family at diff times! Also he might be interested in the fact that the Last Samurai movie was based losely on the historical events in Kumamoto and the surrounding area! The Satsuma Rebellion spread from Satsuma up to Kumamoto, the castle was actual burnt to ground, and then continued up into the country side and thats were the last rebellion ended!

Comment

Originally posted by Badger View Post

...If only the BKA did something like this.
                            Actually, about this time last year a trip for university students was organised by British Kendoka - namely Jon (SuperKodachi)

A handful of British Uni students spent a few weeks at Fukuoka Educational University, with Sumi Sensei and Honda Sensei... they also went to watch the Gyokuryuki. I happened to be in Fukuoka at he time and met up with them over there.

there's a report here - http://www.kendo.org.uk/pmwiki.php/M...cles07gasshuku

Comment

Working...
                            X