X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Annual Kyoto Taikai

One of my friend in Korea want to visit Japan to watch Kendo shiai. Do you recommend any ? How about Kyoto Taikai ? or Tokyo? Do we need to buy ticket in advance ? Where can I get such information ?

Please help~~

Kyoto Tai Kai

Hello,
    I would highly recommend the Kyoto Tai Kai. All the masters from all around the world can be seen. The shiai are quite a sight. The atmosphere is also very nice. Lots of bogu shops are showing their RBSO bogu's. You don't have to buy tickets, it's free, but if you come early then you will have nice place to sit instead of standing room at the back. You might even bump into Kendo World folk.
    Regards,
    Alphons

Comment

Awesome. Do you know where I can get more information about this ? Any website ? Date ? Thanks for your help again.

Originally posted by Fonsz
      Hello,
      I would highly recommend the Kyoto Tai Kai. All the masters from all around the world can be seen. The shiai are quite a sight. The atmosphere is also very nice. Lots of bogu shops are showing their RBSO bogu's. You don't have to buy tickets, it's free, but if you come early then you will have nice place to sit instead of standing room at the back. You might even bump into Kendo World folk.
      Regards,
      Alphons

Comment

I recommend the All Japan Student Championships; in my opion that's the most spectacular taikai.

Comment

Golden Week

Hello,
          The Kyoto Tai Kai is during the Golden Week. Which is the end of april beginning of May. I don't know for sure what the actual dates are. Below you will find a link to the Butokuden in Kyoto. If you can read Japanese maybe there is an announcement or something. If you want to see the Masters go to Kyoto. If you want to see furious shiai go to the one that Gonzo recommends.
          http://www2.ocn.ne.jp/%7Ekyoken/
          Regards,
          Alphons

Comment

Awesome, thanks for your help guys !!!

Comment

Kyoto taikai also goes in order so low grades first then working up to the top guys...thats if you can call 7th dan low grades, which is the minimum entry requirement... So the best stuff is on Sunday.
              The kendo is great, especailly the Tokyo/Kyoto team matches, they are sort of 'grudge local derby games' if you know what I mean!
              There are also gradings for 8th dan going on which are well worth watching, in the 'new' hall. It normally runs over the weekend, but try and get a hotel close by as the traffic is murder, we got stuck in a 10 km tailback trying to get there. Our driver was taking 8th dan and got a bit 'wild' behind the wheel in order to get there on time. I've never driven at 80mph in the breakdown lane before, it was an...experience.
              Dont forget to take at least one video camera. I couldnt make my mind up where to point mine next as there are at least 5 demonstrations going on at any one time.

Comment

Thanks everyone. Do you recommend any hotel ? What is the name of this Kendo stadium ???

Comment

Originally posted by rainmaker
                  What is the name of this Kendo stadium ???
                  Nippon Butokuden in Kyoto

Comment

Working...
                  X