Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

What sort of correct etiquette is needed??

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What sort of correct etiquette is needed??

I'll be visiting a Japanese school club dojo later on in the month. I was just wondering the correct etiquete neccesary, seeing as I'm prety ~~~~ new to Kendo. Just asking for opinions, and advice.

Thx in advance

Come early enough that you can introduce yourself to the sensei, ask him/her what you can do to assist in the dojo, and when everyone lines up, you take the last position. Even if you were ikkyu, you would still do this, since you are the guest.

Other than that, act as you would if you were a guest in someone's home. Be considerate of their ways of doing things, which might differ from the ways your dojo does things. Come with an open mind, leave with a full heart.

Comment

I'm not sure what kind of ettiquite you mean but if they are expecting you and your Japanese is not good, just go along as early as you can. The sensei will speak to you maybe in English or at least some one will. He should tell you weres best to sit, your rank depends on your age/experience/grade. So you wont have to site at the end of the line with the 7 year olds.
      You might site on the side too.
      The sensei might ask you to get up and introduce your self so don't be too shocked and think what you are going to say: Hi my name is _________ I'm from _______ came here to practice with you fine students of ______ dojyo.
      The sensei might talk for you if you are not sure what to say.

Just act as if you were visiting any place, don't just go in dump your stuff and expect to practice and be off home .

Comment

[QUOTE=joekc6nlx]and when everyone lines up, you take the last position.QUOTE]

Definately. I've even heard of this extending to the change rooms, so when you get changed, be the one closest to the entrance to the change room as well.

Comment

Originally posted by joekc6nlx
          and when everyone lines up, you take the last position. Even if you were ikkyu, you would still do this, since you are the guest.
          As joekc6nlx-san said take the last position in the line unless you have been asked to move up the line. A very good site I found on the fourm about etiquette: http://www.kendo.org.uk/clubs/edinbu...do/manual.html

Hope you enjoy your time in Japan

Comment

Damn..Kris..Rich boy.~0~..I wish I could have the money to become an exchange student , then go to Japan..good luck~! Bring back some Japanese
            kendo magzines!!! I need it !!

Comment

First off, Thank you all for your wonderful responses.

Issac, I'm not an RBSO man...

Originally posted by lost_kendoka
              As joekc6nlx-san said take the last position in the line unless you have been asked to move up the line. A very good site I found on the fourm about etiquette: http://www.kendo.org.uk/clubs/edinbu...do/manual.html

Hope you enjoy your time in Japan
              Thank you for this site. It is very helpful.

Also, whenever there are visiting sensei's one of our yudansha (lower ranked ~sandan to yondan~) Always goes up to the sensei and asks if they could put away their things for them. Is this only to be done when a sensei visits, or can it be done when you visit?

Once again, thx for your responses.

Comment

Whoa nice Kris I never knew you were going to Japan...hahahaha.

You better get me something....joking joking no need!

Comment

Youll like it

Comment

Kendo magazines for Issac: $40

Kendo related stuff for Aimon: $50

Souvenirs for: Parents, sibling, friends: $200

Seeing the look on their faces when you came back empty handed: Priceless

Nahhhhh, I'll see if I can get you sumthin.... Issac, the chances of me finding a kendo magazine, not likely, but if I do , I'll get it for you...

Comment

Kendo magzines should be very easy to find on those newspaper stations.

Comment

There not actualy. There are only two in Japan at the moment and you got to get them at the start of the month .
                        Kendo nippon is the best in my oppinion. Costs about 700 yen look in the sport section .

Comment

Its customery and polite to offer to fold any sensei's bogu for them after practice, but make asure its done the right way for that particular sensei.

Just another point, does this sensei know you are visiting his/her dojo?
                          If not, then a letter of introduction is often appropriate from yourself and your own sensei.
                          I know the kendo community seems more friendly and closely knit than a lot of other MA's and this may not be necessary, but believe me a lot of other MA dojos in japan would not allow a visiting student without a letter of intro, its just manners.

have fun over there.

Comment

you should hit as many bookstores as you can. you might actually find books on kendo. there are many small bookstore so it should be easy unless you are going to a small town. look for used book stores as well. they sometime have books and magazines bundled together and sell for a reasonable price. at least it was like that when i was there.

i do miss it.

Comment

Originally posted by AkuSokuZan
                              I'll be visiting a Japanese school club dojo later on in the month. I was just wondering the correct etiquete neccesary, seeing as I'm prety ~~~~ new to Kendo. Just asking for opinions, and advice.

Thx in advance
                              Try to be of as little inconvenience as possible and behave as you would want guests to behave in your house. If you aren't specificly told where to sit, sit at the junior end.
                              You will most likely get dragged out in front of the class after the practice to make a short speech
                              Make sure to go up and thank the teacher after practice and if possible, bring a small present. (tenogui's are great for this!).
                              Don't bother with even attempting to fold up the teachers uniform and armor. As a visitor, that is not your job and you may find that junior students will fold up your uniform and armor for you.

Jakob

Comment

Working...
                              X