Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spring time training in Tokyo

Greetings everybody!
    I have been browsing through these forums for a couple of years and now I am in need of some advice. I will be working in Tokyo, Minato-ku, Shimbashi in a period from 11th of April till 23rd of May this year. I am honestly willing to spend as much time training as possible. I still do not know where is my apartment gonna be, but I guess it will be somewhere in, or near Minato-ku. If someone can recomend some dojos in the stated area I would be very grateful. My rank is 2nd kyu, I possess some knowledge of basic to intermediate Japanese. I am an active competitor, and my country's last year's national team member.Thank you in advance.

You're best off if you can get an introduction through your sensei (if your sensei doesn't know directly he/she can ask his/her sensei). Short of that ask your Tokyo colleagues though you may in fact be surprised how few adults practice kendo (marginal activity and work generally keeps people in the office late). Budo shops are another source of information.

You can also try these listings though they are far from complete and not necessarily up to date:

Tokyo-to Kendo Renmei (only covers inner 23 special wards): http://www.tokyo-kendo.or.jp/keiko/index.html
    Minato-ku subsection: http://www.tokyo-kendo.or.jp/keiko/2...03.html#minato

Ku level renmei often have weekly practices. Tokyo-to also hold practices: http://www.tokyo-kendo.or.jp/keiko/keikokai-index.html

If you can't read Japanese the top row is godokeiko, middle row is kendokeiko and bottom row is koryukeiko. They are held at the Tokyo Budokan in Adachi-ku (not Nippon Budokan near the Imperial Palace).

Normally I would caution anyone below 3-4dan that the vast majority of adult practices in Japan are jigeiko based. If you want kihon (which you should) then most often the best way is to join a children's practice at a machidojo or (if invited) a high school or university practice.

However, if you're just in Japan for a month go ahead and enjoy the adult practices.

You may also find that you will not get much feedback from anyone at all. This was the case for me for at least my first two months in Japan. It's partly that it takes time for the Japanese to get to the point where they can speak openly to someone new, partly that there is less tendency to talk about kendo and partly a belief that one only teaches one's own students. Probably if you get any advice at all it's to make your cuts bigger or you are told how nice your kendo is (standard polite thing to say to someone you don't know well).

Good luck!

Comment

I want to take part in a kendo class in Tokyo. Wait for next spring time when I will be in Tokyo

Comment

lucky you!

Comment

Working...
        X