Honeymooning in Japan, would like to practice

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Honeymooning in Japan, would like to practice

I am going to be honeymooning in Japan next year and would like to practice kendo while I am there. I have been out of practice for a few years, but I am rectifying that by starting back with my local club this weekend. There is about 9 months between now and when we are planning our trip (May 2015) so I should be back into the swing of things by then. I am already planning on talking to senseis about any contacts they have.

Places I am planning on visiting:

Noto
    Shirakawa-go
    Yamashiro
    Hagiwara
    Kyoto
    Osaka

What is the best way for finding places to train at?

Are you actually planning on actively training? Because that would mean bringing along all your equipment as well, which will cost a pretty penny. Seeing how you're asking here, I reckon your wife is in agreement with you stinking up the place during most of your trip, so she's a keeper

With regards to Osaka: George McCall, of Kenshi247 fame, organises a monthly keiko for international kendoka -> http://kenshi247.net/eikenkai/

He also has ties with another dojo -> http://kenshi247.net/yoseikai/

Comment

It's your honeymoon, leave your bogu at home and enjoy the time with your wife!

Comment

Originally posted by Neil Gendzwill View Post
        It's your honeymoon, leave your bogu at home and enjoy the time with your wife!
        Yeah that was something that crossed my mind. I just wanted the opportunity to train while in Japan, as I didn't know when I might be able to ever go again.

Comment

Originally posted by Millerzep View Post
          Yeah that was something that crossed my mind. I just wanted the opportunity to train while in Japan, as I didn't know when I might be able to ever go again.
          When I was on my honeymoon, I dragged my wife along on a few hobby-related sidetrips. 26 years later, she still ribs me about it, and everyone who knows us knows she is about as tolerant as a person can be of my various interests. Your fiance may be saying she's OK with it now but when push comes to shove and you are on your honeymoon, she is not going to be happy. A honeymoon is just the wrong time for your wife to be playing second fiddle to kendo. Then there's the practical side of it, the expense of paying for the extra baggage and how much of a PITA it will be to lug your bogu around Japan while on holiday. My sensei never bothers with his bogu when he goes home on holiday.
          Last edited by Neil Gendzwill; 9th August 2014, 03:10 AM.

Comment

You're right. Thanks for the perspective.

Comment

I didnt want to bring it up Thought I'd leave the admonishment to the seniors here.

But I do agree with them. If you are hell bent on having some kendo during your honeymoon you could ask for 'mitori geiko' at one special dojo... Like the one on the grounds of Osaka castle. Vut yeah, you're there for your wedding

Comment

Working...
              X