Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Budokan Kytoto

Hi,

1st time in Japan. Finally watched 2 days of kendo at the Budokan Center in Kyoto.

Great experience. Will be taking alot back home to Manila and working on alot of points.....

The admistration guys at the registers office are really helpful. A smile and a bow will get you a long way.

Saw my 1st Iaido class and finally saw the Kyudo range.

Yesterday was keiko. Today was drills.

Going back to Kyoto soon ... hopefull with my Bogu.......

Gin

If you have the chance to have Keiko at the Kyoto Budokan, you should absolutely do it. I mean, talk about an inspiring place.

Comment

@Scot H: I was happy just sitting on those tatami matts in that building. Hopefully within the next 6 months I can revisit and this time be allowed to join them.
      This gives me time to get into Kendo shape. And make the necessary arrangements for letter of introductions from our president and sensei.

I tried to visit The kendo dojo @ the Osaka gym near Namba station ...... pleasant surprise they had the Sumo tournament going on.
      I decided not to force myself without a letter of introduction. An American visiting the dojo had a member endorse him in with a letter of introduction.

I was jealous.....

Cheers,

Jstn
      Last edited by Gin; 30th March 2016, 05:40 PM.

Comment

If you're in the Osaka area, you should get in touch with George McCall. He organizes various keiko throughout the year that are very international affairs:

http://kenshi247.net/

Comment

Hello Gin. I must've been at the Butokuden at about the same time as you! I went along to watch a few classes in the evenings after a day's sightseeing. I was supposed to go along to Morita Tadahiko Sensei's private dojo for a lesson and a tour but was unable to do so so I popped along to meet him during one of his classes.

He was so kind and seemed pleased to see me and my girlfriend and he gave us a special tour of the of Butokuden, pointing out where the Emperor or members of the Imperial family sit when they visit and the trap doors that lead to tunnels underneath the Imperial seat via which those with official functions can move around the area without disturbing His Majesty!

It's a wonderful place and I really felt at home there.

Comment

Hello 777,

Would have been nice have met each other. Maybe even better to have done a few session together. Hopefully next visit we can enjoy kendo in Japan. Aside from food its the only reason to visit.

Gin

Comment

The food's not so good if one is a vegetarian! I ate big breakfasts in the hotel to get me through the day and crisps and a couple of Suntory Premium Malts at night! I lost a lot of weight which is no bad thing for me!

Comment

Originally posted by Gin View Post
                Hello 777,
                Aside from food its the only reason to visit.
                I had a blast touring around Japan, didn't even bother bringing my bogu.

Comment

It's been mentioned before but just to reiterate, coming to Japan short term for practice can challenge expectations.

When I arrived, the only feedback I got in kendo for the first two months, aside from some etiquette advice about which sensei to line up for, was a gesture to make my men cuts bigger. Senior sensei would treat all of my keiko pretty much as uchikomi with a bit of kakarigeiko and kirikaeshi thrown in. They did not really engage in conversational jigeiko for more than the 20 seconds it took them to figure out that I sucked (and still suck). There is a preference to watch newcomers and not say anything until the sensei feels they know enough about one's kendo and personality.

In iaido as well, I spent my first year working on kirioroshi. A bit of waza (kata) was thrown in to spice things up.

So don't expect to receive inner teachings that only the gods of kendo/iaido/jodo/whateverdo are privy to. It's kihon kihon kihon. Or perhaps I should say, kihon is the inner teaching in fact. That's pretty much all I still get except at nomikai.
                  Last edited by dillon; 22nd April 2016, 03:57 PM.

Comment

I have to admit I won't be training in Japan for a long time because its just too expensive to spend all ones time seeing the inside of a sports hall. I marvelled at the standard of Iaido I saw, mainly the amazing kirioroshi I witnessed, but Morita Sensei, and other's, just said that's because they practise a lot more and start earlier which suggests there's no secret training or advice!

As Neil says there's just so much to see. I went to Kumamoto City (I can't believe the destruction I'm seeing on the news there right now) to see Miyamoto Musashi's grave and travelled out to see his cave, Reigando which were so atmospheric,

Musashi's grave in it own unassuming little park on the outskirts of Kumamoto City. As I walked around I could here the kakegoe/Kiai of a nearby Kendo and Karate class....

Nikko Toshogu (again), Kamakura, Enoshima,and then just wondering around Kyoto and Tokyo spending a lot of money on tea and incense paraphenalia plus some other weird things!! There's so much to do and see.

Comment

I visited Genkoan on the outskirts of Kyoto. Its famous for a couple of reasons: blood ceilings and its window of enlightenment. The blood ceilings are floorboards taken from Fushimi Castle after some 12 samurai committed seppuku there at the end of a siege. Their bodies festered for some days since it was impossible to know if the seige was over until the tell-tale smell of death seeped out of the castle. This allowed impressions of their final few hour's activities to soak into the timber in the form of their blood. Here's a footprint-

Here you can see a body of a warrior, lying on his back, head to the upper right and arms at either side-

There are so many smudges and clear prints on the boards, its amazing to think these are the impressions of real samurai in their last moments, 400rs ago. Very poingnant especially when you think they were mounted here by the Abbot, to appease their souls in death.

Here's the famous window that represents enlightenment. Beautiful light

Comment

Working...
                      X