Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• police dojo(plural) ;]

hi i'm new here,

i have heard of the tokyo police force and there kendo training i would enjoy reading any stories y'all have to share

I think they do open to public for an hour but you cannot practice with them unless you are invited. Read this article..

http://www.mushinkankendo.com/uch_bio.html

Originally posted by Mr_R_Soul
    hi i'm new here,

i have heard of the tokyo police force and there kendo training i would enjoy reading any stories y'all have to share

Comment

Yeah, the Japanese police are required to take kendo and judo. Every year they have a tournament for the police in kendo and at the national tournaments in Japan, the police force competes against the construction workers team, business teams, etc. I used to have a P.E. teacher who practiced judo with the local police dept. and he gained the respect of a large number of officers.

Comment

Originally posted by ShinKenshi
        ...at the national tournaments in Japan, the police force competes against the construction workers team...
        aka...police vs. yakuza...oh, boy fun...

Comment

last year at our national camp we were lucky enough to have two sensei come from japan to teach us. They were both members of the police riot squad, and we were extremely lucky to be allowed to watch a demonstration of kata that that are a part of their training, and these were absolutely amazing, very hard to describe, but they were a lot more dynamic and intense than our normal kendo kata. has anyone else seen these that could describe them? i think someone from my club took a video of them and i will try and find it to upload it. but it was definitely a sight that i will never forget in kendo.

Comment

Originally posted by ernie
            last year at our national camp we were lucky enough to have two sensei come from japan to teach us. They were both members of the police riot squad, and we were extremely lucky to be allowed to watch a demonstration of kata that that are a part of their training, and these were absolutely amazing, very hard to describe, but they were a lot more dynamic and intense than our normal kendo kata. has anyone else seen these that could describe them? i think someone from my club took a video of them and i will try and find it to upload it. but it was definitely a sight that i will never forget in kendo.
            May be that is Keishicho-ryu kata? Or do you mean they do normal kendo kata with great intensity?

Comment

Originally posted by KhawMengLee
              aka...police vs. yakuza...oh, boy fun...
              ah-uh, watch your mouth. not every constraction worker is Yakuza
              but.....lol

Comment

Originally posted by mimijaja
                ah-uh, watch your mouth. not every constraction worker is Yakuza
                but.....lol
                Yeah...in the west there are no mobsters in construction either, just the Teamsters Union..hahaha

Comment

I heard the Japanese Police Force, train also in Aikido, they gain their 1st Dan in a year!

Comment

Originally posted by Musashi898
                    I heard the Japanese Police Force, train also in Aikido, they gain their 1st Dan in a year!
                    I don't know about that but kendo and judo are definitely mandatory. I wouldn't be surprised if some stations required aikido as well.

Comment

it was on one of the documentaries about the police riot force doing aikido

Comment

I read that the japanese police kendo can differ from what we would calltraditional kendo? They use foot sweeps and the like don't they? That would be excellent to learn.

Comment

Originally posted by Banza Joe
                          I read that the japanese police kendo can differ from what we would calltraditional kendo? They use foot sweeps and the like don't they? That would be excellent to learn.
                          Conventional, may be, but traditional, no. I think the leg-sweep kendo is more traditional historically.

Comment

I think ashibarai was a part of kendo until the war, but I'm not 100% sure on that. And regarding the police "practises" there are a lot of Urban Myths surrounding them. Some may be true some may not, but I'm going to reserve judgement until I hear some first hand accounts for myself.

Comment

I've seen recent ('90s?) videos of police-taikai where they used legsweeps.
                              Best was when one guy swept Miyazaki's feet, which caused him to go into ninja-mode and annihilate the guy.

Jakob

Comment

Working...
                              X