X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Japanese training, is it the best?

I was wondering if any of the people from Japan would tell me how good Japanese training is.

I'd say it's about 312.6

Comment

Originally posted by Kingofmyrrh
      I'd say it's about 312.6
      You're daft - it's definitely 312.2

Comment

Uh, well, I'm not used to metric. I'd say 59 add 3.

Comment

dont forget the wind factor

Comment

There's no evidence that training in dojo A in Japan is any better than training in dojo B in London, Vancouver, Toronto, Chicago, etc. It's a matter of who the sensei is, what his/her methods of training are, and how well the sensei passes his learning to his/her students. You might find a good sensei outside of Japan who's better than a particular sensei in Japan. Like anything else, you have to shop around.

My sensei, 7th dan, kyoshi, was raised in Japan. He learned his kendo in Tokyo. The way he teaches class for us here in the States is the way they taught it in Tokyo when he was learning. He doesn't use a smack on the back of the head to a student, though, which is what they did to him. He gets us in other ways....

His classes are extremely strenuous, a few minutes of warmups, then footwork drills for about 20 minutes, then into bogu and mawari-geiko for 45 minutes non-stop, a 2-3 minute break, then jigeiko for another 30-45 minutes. When you finish, you're exhausted, which is the way you should be, because it forces you to find the most efficient and technically correct methods of using the shinai and your body. There are 2 air-conditioning units in the dojo - they are never turned on for our classes. He does allow us to use the 3 ceiling fans and keep the doors open to the outside. That just circulates the hot and humid air from outside, but at least it's a breeze. For us old guys, it's pretty tough, and he doesn't get upset if we take a quick break because we're dizzy, just don't expect to be allowed to sit on the sidelines with your men and kote off for too long.
            Last edited by joekc6nlx; 26th August 2005, 04:59 AM.

Comment

The answers here - both sensible and otherwise - remind me why I like this forum so much!

Comment

I agree it's really up to the sensei, students, etc.. But I think one advantage is that in Japan many people start kendo in their Middle or High school which gives them the ability to practice kendo up to 6 days a week. This is a major difference from other countries where some people can barly make it to practice once or twice a week.

Comment

thank you people! i just hope i could train in japan one day.....

Comment

Originally posted by Jerott-Clark
                    I was wondering if any of the people from Japan would tell me how good Japanese training is.

Of course, for example look at my avatar, that is who you want to train with.

I once heard, and I belive there is a documentary on this, that he trained 2 assassins, he lives on top of a mountain and is crazy hard, he also can cut off your arm using his arm, !!!and!!! he makes you eat rice, only rice, and with chopsticks.

there is a rumor, I dont believe it, that after he tore out one of the assassins eyes, she killed him by poisoning his fish heads....

It cant be true!

Comment

As for the non-sensible answers, (Please no).
                      It is a good question as to weather the Japanese are the best, I think whats more important is how many major planets align and how you enjoy your art.
                      If you enjoy it best, for you, it is the best.

Comment

Working...
                      X