X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Makita Sensei (Kyoshi 8-dan) Article for DOWNLOAD

Many people will know of Makita Minoru Sensei (Kyoshi 8-dan) from the International Budo University. Makita Sensei was a kendo star in his childhood and went to PL High School in Osaka then Tokai University. After graduation he entered a company in Osaka and was selected to represent Japan at the 5th World Kendo Championships where he became the World Champion (individuals). After returning to Japan, the founder of Tokai University and the International Budo University (Matsumae Shigeyoshi) was waiting at the airport to offer him a job as a university professor.

A short article by him appeared in Kendo World 3.4. Please go to the following link and download the PDF.

http://www.kendo-world.com/downloads.php

Kendo to me- the attraction (By Makita Minoru Sensei 8-dan)- Kendo World Journal 3.4 (2007)

Please leave any comments here

Excellent article. Thanks Alex.

Comment

Originally posted by Makita Minoru sensei
      This signals the beginning of a hanseikai a session of reflection and feedback on each others performance. It starts with whether we managed to strike our opponent and culminates with Dad was the best. This is how the year gets off to a smooth start in the Makita household. For me, the greatest attraction of kendo is being surrounded by my students and being able to train with my family.
      Surely this is every kendoka's fantasy of domestic harmony!

For me, this is the real reward of being world champion: the opportunity to devote one's life to kendo, not just as a hobby but as a career.

b

Comment

Originally posted by ben View Post
        Surely this is every kendoka's fantasy of domestic harmony!
        The question is, if everyone hadnt agreed that Dad was the best would the new years start be as smooth?

Comment

Originally posted by ben View Post
          For me, this is the real reward of being world champion: the opportunity to devote one's life to kendo, not just as a hobby but as a career.

b
          Absolutely, but that statement omits the dedication necessary to get to that position in the first place. And what an achievement!

Comment

Originally posted by Kenshi View Post
            The question is, if everyone hadnt agreed that Dad was the best would the new years start be as smooth?
            Naruhodo! Hence the word 'fantasy'!

b

Comment

WoW!
              Great,beautifull, inspiring article.Thanks a lot for sharing.

Comment

No worries, more cool stuff to come.

Comment

Love it! Thanks, Alex!

Comment

I love that article especially this part:

I came to Katsuura in 1984, when the university opened,
                    as one of its instructors. However, having always focused
                    on competition, I had one major concern my own
                    kendo. IBU is a university to cultivate instructors, so
                    I had to ensure that my students learned the correct
                    techniques to become instructors. Accordingly, my
                    biggest concern was whether I could perform correct,
                    instructor-like kendo in my training with the students.
                    I allways thought his biggest concern was to look cool/godlike in front of his students. That burning passion to teach never ever showed. You can't arguee with Makita-sensei's kendo but that sentence has no relevance when you look at the situatuon at Budai.

Comment

Hahahaha. I know what you mean. I guess t depends on what students he is talking about. But his kendo is awesome!

Comment

Wow...that was a real conversation stopper...BTW the guy who got second in the All-Japan Police Champs (http://www.kendo-world.com/articles....cle%5Bid%5D=54) is one of Makita sensei's students!

Comment

Don't take it too hard Alex. Happens to me all the time. I open my mouth, a thread dies. They call me "The Closer"...

b

Comment

I suppose it is nice to have the last word

Comment

BTW Ben, what did you think of that last point in the police champs? men or do. I would go with men...but...Bugger, wrong thread.

Comment

Working...
                              X