Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Article about the history of the Bogu

Hello,
    I've translated in French the article over the History of the Bogu . Can I put this translation online on my website, if I mention all the refference of it?

Originally posted by Nagi David
    Hello,
    I've translated in French the article over the History of the Bogu . Can I put this translation online on my website, if I mention all the refference of it?
    Hello David,

I appreciate your efforts to translate materials about Budo so that people can understand it in French as well. It is important for people to have this information. That is why we are doing Kendo World.

However, what you are doing is a breach of Copyright. Before we translate any articles from Japanese to English we are very careful to get the permission of 1/ The Publishers of the original article 2/ the permission of the author him/herself 3/ permission for use of all photos (museum or from the photographer). Only then will we proceed. Sometimes it is very easy to get the necessary permission, and sometimes we are refused permission.

You must remember that people make their living from producing and publishing these articles. We actually have to pay money many times for the privilege of translating and publishing an article from Japanese. It is not just a matter of taking what we want for the betterment of budo around the world.

In regards to the Bogu article, you (whichmeans me I guess) will have to ask Kendo Jidai Magazine, and then Nakamura Tamio sensei who wrote the article. I am not sure if they will agree as there is no way of checking the accuracy of your translation.

Like I said, I fully understand your selfless motives for providing information, but there are certain aspects of protocol/courtesy/ and legal matters which must never be ignored in such matters.

Kindest regards,

Alex

Comment

I understand, this is why I asked...

Comment

Working...
      X