X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Article: 2012 WKC in Novara - Day 3

You can view the page at http://www.kendo-world.com/forum/con...n-Novara-Day-3

We can't wait for the next issue! Editorial, Dr. A, please!! Online!!

Comment

Trying to find a youtube link to that Yang match mentioned, anyone have it handy?

Comment

Originally posted by Scott H View Post
        Trying to find a youtube link to that Yang match mentioned, anyone have it handy?
        Scott H they are talking about the taisho match for USA vs Korea. After losing a point Yang-sensei goes all or nothing and score men soon after they started again.

Comment

Originally posted by Scott H View Post
          http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-KyBK34l6ts

Two consective men (one for KOR, one for USA) starting at about the 4:05 min mark.

Even though he lost, I thought Yang Sensei looked very good. Even though KOR taisho was taller than him, Yang Sensei kept his posture and was even able to knock him off balance several times.

Comment

Got it. Thanks guys.

Comment

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vvKma...eature=mh_lolz
              This shows the entire final men match between Japan and Korea.

Wow... I gotta say... Korean kenshis got this hard man... especially the chuken match was totally unfair in my opinion. That Kote at 17:55... Park hits Shodai's Kote once and doesn't get ippon so he hits Kote again in a very clear manner with Zanshin.  No wonder he gets so frustrated afterward. In addition to the Chuken match, the first do ippon is very questionable too at 12:39... Park clearly lowers his guard below his waist, that do hit shouldn't have been ippon. That's because it's not right do.. but it's left do (this is only ippon when you guard above your waist line). Again with Jiho match. At 9:35, Katsumi hits Choi's Kote with no Zanshin and his posture is really bad at the moment when Katsumi hits Choi. That shouldn't have been ippon. Poor Koreans.

Sempo and Taisho matches were somewhat fair but like I said Jiho and Chuken matches were clearly favored toward Japan. For Fukusho match, however, there is a questionable Kote hit that could have been ippon by Kiwada at 22:22. I'd say this one could have been either way. Ippon or no. Nonetheless, I'd say lack of Zanshin so no ippon. This match was somewhat better for the Korean player. Overall, Japanese were favored more than Koreans in this team match.

Comment

There is no rule about left or right doh being legal depending on kamae. That only applies to kote.

Comment

Originally posted by Neil Gendzwill View Post
                  There is no rule about left or right doh being legal depending on kamae. That only applies to kote.
                  Samurais wore their swords around their left doh, that's why left doh has to be precisely struck with good kamae. Are you saying that doh was an ippon in your opinion? If you do feel that way, I strongly beg to differ. That clearly is not an ippon. If that was an ippon, then in taisho match, Lee should've got an ippon for the same left doh strike. In addition, that Kote strike from the Korean player in chuken match should've been an ippon because of his strike, kamae, and zanshin.

Comment

Originally posted by Phillip0701 View Post
                    Samurais wore their swords around their left doh, that's why left doh has to be precisely struck with good kamae. Are you saying that doh was an ippon in your opinion? If you do feel that way, I strongly beg to differ. That clearly is not an ippon. If that was an ippon, then in taisho match, Lee should've got an ippon for the same left doh strike. In addition, that Kote strike from the Korean player in chuken match should've been an ippon because of his strike, kamae, and zanshin.
                    I didn't get any feeling towards whether Neil thought the particular do was valid or not. I think Neil was merely saying that the reasoning you gave about the do strike being valid or not doesn't really come into play as guard position does not enter into it. Gyaku do is harder to get ippon on but but not due to guard position, that's all.

Comment

What Mike said.

Comment

Shodai's do was a stonking good ippon. No doubt. Slow mo does no justice to it. There is, I'll admit, a nice ippon kote on Shodai's right kote when it is down by his side, while he defends sanpomamori-style with his left hand only, by the Korean Chuken. Shodai should have been punished for his sloppy technique by having the ippon scored against him. But this doesn't change the fact that the Korean chuken acted like a baby after the match. I have so many problems with his attitude I don't know where to start. He has single-handedly lowered my opinion of Korean Kendo. b

Comment

Isn't that a bit silly? To judge 500000 people over the action of one person? It would be like me thinking less of you because Tony Abbott has not been dragged through the streets and shot in the mouth.

Comment

Originally posted by Phillip0701 View Post
                            Samurais wore their swords around their left doh, that's why left doh has to be precisely struck with good kamae.

This is Incorrect.

Comment

Originally posted by Lloromannic View Post
                              Isn't that a bit silly? To judge 500000 people over the action of one person? It would be like me thinking less of you because Tony Abbott has not been dragged through the streets and shot in the mouth.
                              Well old Tony is pretty bad but we've got more dickheads than just him so you'd having to turn lynching into a 9-5 if you felt that was the way to solve it...

I stand by what I said. When someone represents their country, they are, in fact, representing their country. Call me old-fashioned. If I was a KKF bigwig I would be publicly reprimanding him so that the world knew that his behaviour was not representative of the values of Korean Kendo. That would also help send a message to younger kenshi in Korea that his behaviour is not to be emulated. It's a bit like this news story. b

Comment

Working...
                              X