X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Role of Breath Control

Are there plans to offer this series of articles as reprints or are they to be incorporated into a book?

Am I the only one here who read this as "The Role of Birth Control"?

Comment

Originally posted by Nanbanjin
      Nanbanjin, yes probably you are the only one. And it suggests that "birth control" is on your mind..... be careful out there!!!!

Comment

Hahaha. XD

Comment

Peter,

That's why you're given that big stick! (It's worked for me!)

Catherine

Comment

lmao. yes i think so.

Comment

Hmmm.....maybe there is a hidden "Australian code" embedded in the forum that makes one word become something totally different.

My question was serious, though, since it seems many of us do not breathe properly either in bogu or when performing kata. Breath control is supposed to help you focus your energy.

Of course, for those with chronic bad breath control, may I suggest breath mints?

Comment

Originally posted by Catherine
                Peter,

That's why you're given that big stick! (It's worked for me!)

Catherine
                Way too much information...!

Comment

We plan to publish it as a book, when Steve finally finishes the articles.

Comment

Originally posted by Alex
                    Thank you, Alex. I'll look for it when it comes out. (In the meantime, I breathe in from the nose, breathe out from the mouth. Don't hold my breath, breathe in before I attack, maintain kiai through the attack and keep enough breath to maintain zanshin after the strike.)

Comment

it's simple

Just kiai and you'll breathe when you need to. If you sit there and think about how and when to breathe, you're gonna lose. Kiai to get yourself phyched up and forget about what everyone says about breathing. It'll come naturally.

Comment

Originally posted by Katonk
                        Just kiai and you'll breathe when you need to. If you sit there and think about how and when to breathe, you're gonna lose. Kiai to get yourself phyched up and forget about what everyone says about breathing. It'll come naturally.
                        I'm not so sure that's accurate. There are certain times when you should be breathing in and retaining, but so as not to give your opponent a sign that you are doing so, because the action is usually a prelude to your attack.
                        It's kind of like a baseball pitcher telling the batter where he's going to put the ball, he gives away too much information before the pitch.

If breath control weren't so important, why have high-ranking senseis espoused it?

I remember watching a 9th-dan karate sensei doing kata, the breathing was an integral part of his kata. He inhaled at a point where I would not have thought it appropriate, but if it weren't important, why do it?

I do kiai, but my question was more in the way of proper execution of breathing for kata rather than for shiai.

Comment

Are We There Yet?

Originally posted by Alex
                          Alex,

Has Steve finished the articles? Is the book published? If so, what is its title so I can place my order.

Thanks.

Comment

Not yet...We'll get there eventually.

Comment

Working...
                            X