X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Electronic version

I'm global-mobile, and don't want to carry print things around. Also, the shipping price tag was a bit shocking, but that part can't be helped since that's Singapore Post...

However...how would it be to offer electronic versions of Kendo World for purchase? For instance, zinio.com sells electronic magazines which are purchased through the site, then downloaded to a reader. One could set up a system where, upon purchase, the user was sent a temporary link by e-mail from which to download the issue they purchased.

Even if the electronic version came out after the print had been sent... I'm not particular about other people receiving their magazine first...

I second that idea. That way everyone could read the back issues as well. Don't know about the costs of running that kind of system but it would be nice.

Comment

Allow me to "third" that by saying that is an excellent idea. The postage is quite a shocker (especially in recession-bound America with the weak dollar) and a download makes perfect sense.

My guess is that such a system would boost subscriptions since KW could more easily market subscriptions and back-issues with the ease of online ordering and instant delivery. It's all about customer delight!

Comment

I agree!! Please, I'd subsribe immediately.

Comment

reality check.... every techno head here already uses the forum and other online things so id say almost half here would agree to that motion.

But there are millions of people that dont use the web and would not like this idea and therefore will not vote here.... so the vote is dead b4 it begins.

Personally, i like the feel of reading thru something.

Comment

Yes, but in fairness, the KW online audience is probably the biggest, not to mention that you have to subscribe online....

I think the guys are just asking for that as an option, as an addition to the printed magazine. I personally prefer the printed stuff but I know plenty of people who subscribe to electronic journals.

The only problem for KW staff is to prevent the whole thing being shared electronically (shared for free), it would kill the magazine.

Comment

Originally posted by JCM View Post
              Yes, but in fairness, the KW online audience is probably the biggest, not to mention that you have to subscribe online....

I think the guys are just asking for that as an option, as an addition to the printed magazine. I personally prefer the printed stuff but I know plenty of people who subscribe to electronic journals.

The only problem for KW staff is to prevent the whole thing being shared electronically (shared for free), it would kill the magazine.
              Yes, I don't think anyone wanted it to be turned into an electronic only magazine, just an addition.

And I know nothing about how to protect it, but there must be ways... Maybe one-time codes you get by mail for downloading and not being able to upload it again or something. No idea, just thinking out loud.

I usually prefer printed mags as well, but I'm not exactly rich so I can't justify the costs of the mag and the shipping with myself. Only the mag I could live with.

Comment

Originally posted by lucy View Post
                I usually prefer printed mags as well, but I'm not exactly rich so I can't justify the costs of the mag and the shipping with myself. Only the mag I could live with.
                Yeah I'm the same way. I prefer real books and 'zines but I can't justify the cost . A d/l verison would have to be significantly cheaper or maybe even just buy individual articles.

I don't think piracy would be a big issue. If someone wanted to share their material, they could just scan mags they have and upload them.
                I think a bigger issue to consider is how KW can prevent loss of ad revenue or maybe even generate more revenue through online merchandising.

A case study of a print mag that has successfully implemented an online version would be helpful.
                Anyone know of such a case?

sean

Comment

Originally posted by turboyoshi View Post
                  Yeah I'm the same way. I prefer real books and 'zines but I can't justify the cost . A d/l verison would have to be significantly cheaper or maybe even just buy individual articles.

I don't think piracy would be a big issue. If someone wanted to share their material, they could just scan mags they have and upload them.
                  I think a bigger issue to consider is how KW can prevent loss of ad revenue or maybe even generate more revenue through online merchandising.

A case study of a print mag that has successfully implemented an online version would be helpful.

sean
                  Yes, a number of online newspapers offer full online editions for a fee (with the same content as the printed article). You need to log on to use them (no offline use).

In terms of scanning, not everyone is prepared to spend half a day scanning 100+ pages on a magazine, and creating a pdf document from the images, whereas if you have a full copy sharing it will take no effort at all, in my opinion that is the problem.
                  Last edited by JCM; 18th January 2008, 12:05 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by turboyoshi View Post

sean
                    Yes, a number of online newspapers offer full online editions for a fee (with the same content as the printed article). You need to log on to use them (no offline use).

In terms of scanning, not everyone is prepared to spend half a day scanning 100+ pages on a magazine, and creating a pdf document from the images, whereas if you have a full copy sharing it will take no effort at all, in my opinion that is the problem.

Comment

Would any of the staff care to add their ideas to this? Has it been considered before and dropped? Is it something you're looking into now?

Comment

Originally posted by lucy View Post
                        I agree!! Please, I'd subsribe immediately.
                        depending on price... me too!

Comment

Originally posted by JCM View Post

This content would only be of use to the kendo community and I think most would not take advantage of KW Magazine by copying it in its entirety. That said, I think people have copied articles and given them to friends and it is now much easier to copy the entire magazine if one wanted to.

IMO, KW should do what the music industry is NOT doing by accepting the risk of copyright infringement in return for a wider distribution of its content. I think advertisers would support that, knowing that the magazine is taking a wider, viral, path.

Comment

Here is my response to a post about somebody's post for back orders. I posted in on January 3rd but there was no reply from KW staff or anybody else on the forum. I kind of like having a magazine something I can hold over an electronic version. In this world where you can get everything you want when you want it. You have something to look forward to getting in the mail. But it would be nice to have access to the content in issue 1.1
                            --------------------------------------------------------------------------

------

Hi,

I had an idea probably not a great one but I thought I would give it a shot. I know it is too expensive to reprint 1.1. What about selling or including a CD in a future issue with a electronic or pdf file of issue 1.1? I don't know about the copyright laws or permission you would need from Kendo Nippon or Kendo Jidai. Either that or maybe upload some of the articles on the kendo-world website to convince those holding out subscribe. Once they see some more of the articles then they will hopefully subscribe. I saw the issues were being sold on budovideos.com and now most of them are now sold out. I had issue 1.1 given to me along time ago by a friend then I let someone else borrow it and they lost it. Now I have all the issues except 1.1 and 4.1 which is on the way.

Comment

Working...
                            X