Announcement Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.
How do I re-size a photo and I want to add an animated gif to my sig. please. Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • How do I re-size a photo and I want to add an animated gif to my sig. please.

    Ok, I don't know if this belongs here or in the FAQ section, so I'm sorry if it's in the wrong location...

    Anyway, I'd like to know how to size down an image that is from another website. Or, do I put it on my computer? I don't know how to re-size it there, either though... I had one in my sig. ages ago, but apparently, it's too big now(It was viewable when I had it in my sig before several years ago.), and no matter what I have done, it will not work, and I have no idea how to fix the pic myself. I have just kept the location of it for when I remembered to ask what to do with it, in my sig. I finally today erased it and saved it on my computer until I know what to do with it. hehehe, And now, about a year or two later, I remembered to ask about this.

    Also, I tried to upload another cute thing today that happened to be an animated little gif and I got told that it was an "invalid" thing. Why? I'd love to have these things in my sig. and it would be fun to change them around from time to time. I've got one in my e-budo sig, and I'd love to have them here too.

    Examples below of what I wanted to add:

    http://www.smilecwm.com/smileys/Genres/Kaos/4

    So, can adding gifs to a sig. be allowed too please?

    Thank you very much!

    Kaoru

  • #2
    If you go to the "edit signature" option, at the bottom it lists sig privs and you'll probably see something like:
    Can Upload Images for Signature Yes
    Can Upload Animated GIF for Signature No


    So it looks like animated sigs aren't allowed.

    As for resizing, you can use any image editing program like MS Paint or Gimp or resize them, or, if you have a photobucket account (it's free) you can upload images there and resize them with photobucket's editor. It's easy enough to just select a preset size like thumbnail and it will do the work for ya.

    I'm not a web geek so I can't help much beyond that.

    sean

    Comment


    • #3
      You need a Pocket PC to edit your images.
      Failing that:



      Get thyself a bit 'O the Gimp.

      http://www.gimp.org/windows/

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by turboyoshi View Post
        If you go to the "edit signature" option, at the bottom it lists sig privs and you'll probably see something like:
        Can Upload Images for Signature Yes
        Can Upload Animated GIF for Signature No


        So it looks like animated sigs aren't allowed.
        Oh thanks! I never had noticed that before. Well, since e-budo is the same type of board like this one is, maybe Neil can make it so we can have animated gifs too. They're so cute! The ones I found, that is... I really want to put one in my sig!

        As for resizing, you can use any image editing program like MS Paint or Gimp or resize them, or, if you have a photobucket account (it's free) you can upload images there and resize them with photobucket's editor. It's easy enough to just select a preset size like thumbnail and it will do the work for ya.

        I'm not a web geek so I can't help much beyond that.

        sean
        hahaha, I'm not a web geek either! Now I have to figure out how to get it into a photo editor. Guess I have to download the thing from the webpage to my computer first, obviously. Thanks!

        Kaoru

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by Kenzan View Post
          You need a Pocket PC to edit your images.
          Hey... What are you trying to do - Torture me??? Heck, I haven't been using that stupid thing for a couple months now. I think I'll have to kill myself or something if I ever have to type another post or long e-mail on that thing ever again! I get hives after one paragraph now... I think I'm seriously allergic to the thing!

          Failing that:



          Get thyself a bit 'O the Gimp.

          http://www.gimp.org/windows/
          Thanks! Is it idiot proof? I've never edited a photo in my life.

          Kaoru

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by Kaoru View Post
            maybe Neil can make it so we can have animated gifs too. They're so cute! The ones I found, that is... I really want to put one in my sig!
            Sorry Kaoru, not picking on you, although cute and funny sometimes, animated gifs can be a bit annoying when reading through posts. That might be the reason for not having them. they can get tiring if you know what I mean

            EDIT: The thumb down was an accident, I have no idea how to remove it.....

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Kaoru View Post
              Thanks! Is it idiot proof? I've never edited a photo in my life.
              Photobucket's online editor is simple enough that even I can use it.
              GIMP is a full featured image editing package and so I don't recommend it unless you already know what you're doing or have the motivation to teach yourself fancy stuff. That's why I suggested MS Paint, it's good for simple things like cropping and resizing. Gimp is kinda like opensource Photoshop.

              FYI, for images to show up in your sig, they can't be taller than 500 pixels, wider than 100 pixels and cannot be larger than 19.5 kb.
              If you're having trouble getting an image to show up, check those properties. Right click on the image, select "Properties" and make sure the width, height and size are all within limits.

              Considering that Neil's expressed an old school dislike for smileys, I'd give up on the idea of him allowing animated gifs.

              sean

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Kaoru View Post

                Thanks! Is it idiot proof? I've never edited a photo in my life.

                Kaoru
                1. You are not an idiot.
                2. It is as simple or as powerful as you need it to be.

                Comment


                • #9
                  I am not very happy about this. It is impossible to learn photo-resizing properly without a proper teacher. There are many backyard Photoshoppers posting their vids on YouTube to 'look cool' but I tell you

                  no!

                  This is not true photo-manipulation. To learn properly, you need a teacher - and they MUST be recognised by the AUSPSF. Without this person you are doing the art a disservice, you are shitting on those who do learn Photoshop properly - and you're probably not insured.

                  Don't get me wrong - we've all done it at one stage or another but it is something you do when you don't know better. That is what we're here for - to keep you on the right path and to help you on this wonderful journey.

                  Persevere. Your fingers will hurt for some time but you will get used to the techniques. It is a long and arduous journey but everyone here will tell you it is a wonderous thing to be involved in.

                  Sorry for the long rant but I am writing this on my PocketPC.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by ScottUK View Post
                    I am not very happy about this. It is impossible to learn photo-resizing properly without a proper teacher. There are many backyard Photoshoppers posting their vids on YouTube to 'look cool' but I tell you

                    no!

                    This is not true photo-manipulation. To learn properly, you need a teacher - and they MUST be recognised by the AUSPSF. Without this person you are doing the art a disservice, you are shitting on those who do learn Photoshop properly - and you're probably not insured.

                    Don't get me wrong - we've all done it at one stage or another but it is something you do when you don't know better. That is what we're here for - to keep you on the right path and to help you on this wonderful journey.

                    Persevere. Your fingers will hurt for some time but you will get used to the techniques. It is a long and arduous journey but everyone here will tell you it is a wonderous thing to be involved in.

                    Sorry for the long rant but I am writing this on my PocketPC.
                    Effin' hilarious! Tried giving you a positive rep., but got the ol' 'must spread more, etc.'

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Kaoru, frankly I hadn't noticed images were allowed in sigs. If they become more prevalent, I'll disable them. I certainly won't enable animated sigs. Big-ass sigs are just clutter that make the boards unreadable.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by Ralutin View Post
                        Effin' hilarious! Tried giving you a positive rep., but got the ol' 'must spread more, etc.'
                        Got that covered...

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by Paikea View Post
                          Got that covered...
                          Thanks, dude! Tried to give you a positive rep., but...
                          Last edited by Ralutin; 8th May 2008, 02:15 AM.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by JCM View Post
                            Sorry Kaoru, not picking on you, although cute and funny sometimes, animated gifs can be a bit annoying when reading through posts. That might be the reason for not having them. they can get tiring if you know what I mean
                            Oh, I guess so... I don't mind them if they aren't huge. I could see huge ones being annoying though... But that's just me.

                            EDIT: The thumb down was an accident, I have no idea how to remove it.....
                            That's ok. You can change them in the advanced edit box. I've had to change one before.

                            Kaoru

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by turboyoshi View Post
                              Photobucket's online editor is simple enough that even I can use it.
                              GIMP is a full featured image editing package and so I don't recommend it unless you already know what you're doing or have the motivation to teach yourself fancy stuff. That's why I suggested MS Paint, it's good for simple things like cropping and resizing. Gimp is kinda like opensource Photoshop.
                              Ahhhh... Thanks. That's just what I needed to know. Guess that's not for me! I think I'll leave all the funny photo editing to Kenzan...
                              FYI, for images to show up in your sig, they can't be taller than 500 pixels, wider than 100 pixels and cannot be larger than 19.5 kb.
                              If you're having trouble getting an image to show up, check those properties. Right click on the image, select "Properties" and make sure the width, height and size are all within limits.
                              Ok, cool. Thank you very much for all that info! That will really help.

                              Considering that Neil's expressed an old school dislike for smileys, I'd give up on the idea of him allowing animated gifs.
                              That's so unfair... *sniff* I have the cutest little bunny on e-budo! It's from those family of gifs I posted in the link above in my first post. It's fun to change them out with the seasons and holidays, too. I'm on this board more often though, so they'd be more fun here.

                              Hey Neil-sensei... Smilies are just like a human face. What would the world be like without facial expressions?? That would be really scary... We'd all be robot-like and, we'd all be misunderstanding each other too... So, smilies/facial expressions are a gift to us to keep the peace, as I see it.

                              Kaoru

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X