X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Koshiitas are Illegal in Korea!

Practicing Kendo here in Korea, it has often bothered me the way that the Korean Kendo organizations seemingly have little or no respect for the Japanese origins or the modern art as it is practiced in the world today. It is especially disturbing considering the hypocrisy of how the governing bodies of Korean martial arts such as Taekwondo go above and beyond to ensure that the Korean heritage of those arts is respected throughout the world, while at the same time the governing bodies here in Korea of martial arts originating outside of Korea simply ignore the foreign heritage of those arts. I have seen this is many facets of practicing the art, so it doesn't really surprise me anymore. However, a couple of weeks ago something happened that shocked me.

Every few months some members of my dojo attend a recreational city-wide or province-wide tournament where members of different dojos compete in both individual and team single-elimination tournaments. A fortnight ago we were at one such tournament where I witness two kendokas (each in a different match) disqualified for wearing what Koreans consider a "Japanese style" hakama! The only visible difference is that "Japanese style" hakamas have a koshiita (backplate) while the "Korean style" ones have none. One of the two guys was actually hiding his koshiita by tucking it in, but the referee noticed it, stopped the match, untucked it, and promptly disqualified him!

I should point out that a lot of kendokas here in Korea, especially high ranked ones and professionals, prefer the better-quality Japanese-made uniforms, so koshiitas are not unheard of here, but are not the norm as most students have cheaper uniforms made here in Korea, and thus have no koshiita. However, I had no idea they were actually illegal (and neither did those two guys, for that matter). A teammate of mine explained to me that they are forbidden by the Korea Kumdo Association, which is the national IKF-affiliated body of Kendo here in Korea, and that you can be disqualified for wearing them in competition here.

So I was wondering if anyone knew if there were any particular reason for this peculiar rule. Also, I am curious if the AJKF or AUSKF has a similar rule against "Korean style" hakamas.

Sorry about my ignorance, but What's a koshiita? I mean I think I have an idea, but I'm not sure. Is it the thing we use in tha back of the hakama to avoid the fall of it while you're practicing?

Comment

Originally posted by Kitsune
      Sorry about my ignorance, but What's a koshiita? I mean I think I have an idea, but I'm not sure. Is it the thing we use in tha back of the hakama to avoid the fall of it while you're practicing?
      thats the little tab that you slip behind the mae himo of your hakama to keep the back plate up.

Comment

Originally posted by Kitsune
        It's the flap which sticks up from the belt line in the back of the hakama and covers your lower back. I guess it's the protect you if you fall, or maybe to keep your back straight, I'm not sure.

Comment

Originally posted by Kapplow
          thats the little tab that you slip behind the mae himo of your hakama to keep the back plate up.
          Yes, I believe that that is also called a koshiita (or at least according to Ozawa's Definitive Guide), but it's not the one I was talking about. I am referring to the backplate itself.

Comment

One of the two guys was actually hiding his koshiita by tucking it in, but the referee noticed it
            Umm.. that implies that the kendoka did know it wasn't allowed.

Regardless, that seems pretty damn screwed up to me.

Do we have a Korean practitioner of kumdo about that may have a response to this for us?

Comment

Originally posted by Oyabun
              Yes, I believe that that is also called a koshiita (or at least according to Ozawa's Definitive Guide), but it's not the one I was talking about. I am referring to the backplate itself.
              either way I think thats a bunch of BS. Oh well, its not the first time crap like this has happened. I'd let it go and try to enjoy Kendo/Kumdo as much as you can. Chalk it up to reiho.

Comment

This is going to open up the whole "Korea hates Japan and aren't they justified to do it?" debate all over again.

Its Korea. Their rules.

Comment

Strange... but are you sure it was not because of these competitors wearing their uniform the wrong way...?

Comment

Originally posted by Newbie
                    Umm.. that implies that the kendoka did know it wasn't allowed.
                    Sorry, I should have clarified: He tucked it in after he saw the first guy get caught.

Comment

Originally posted by mingshi
                      Strange... but are you sure it was not because of these competitors wearing their uniform the wrong way...?
                      Yes, I was told by my teammates that it was because they were wearing "Japanese style" hakamas (with a koshiita) and that these are banned by the Korea Kumdo Association.

Comment

It's illegal alright!

Yup, you can't wear a hakama to any official event hosted by the Korea Kumdo Association. A shiai, shinsa or anything.
                        Event though it's member of the IKF, KKA 's official line is that Kendo, or Kumdo, is of Korean origin.
                        Because of Koreans' uninformed nationalistic pride(think Mero) and animosity toward anything Japanese, a lot of Korean Kumdo people have a slightly schizophrenic attitude toward Kendo. They love the art, but can't stand that it's of Japanese origin.
                        Hence the revisionist history and the unending effort to 'un-Japanize' Kendo.
                        KKA's official line is that since Japan received advanced metalworking skills and primitive sword-fighting skills from Korea many, many centuries ago(think 400 AD), all Japanese kenjutsu(and Kendo) is of Korean origin.
                        Kind of like, since man first discovered fire on the African continent eons ago, all the world's cooking is, in fact, African cuisine.
                        In fact, I've heard that a Korean hachidan was excommunicated by the KKA for admitting that yes, Kumdo is Kendo which we learned from the Japanese during the Japanese occcupation.
                        Because of this state of denial, we have a whole herd of modern, reconstructed schools of swordsmanship founded by people of dubious qualifications claiming to be traditional arts passed down from the samurang of Gogurye and all that happy horseshit.
                        Also, we have no Iaido. KKA doesn't carry Seitei Iai.
                        And we can't wear hakama.
                        So, when you see those striped things Korean national team members wear - think Velcro. Like kids who can't tie their shoelaces.
                        Last edited by Keith Hong; 9th April 2006, 02:15 AM.

Comment

wow...

keepin it real

Comment

Originally posted by Keith Hong
                            So, when you see those striped things Korean national team members wear - think Velcro. Like kids who can't tie their shoelaces.
                            I cannot describe the fits of laughter this caused. Cheers...

Comment

Originally posted by KhawMengLee
                              This is going to open up the whole "Korea hates Japan and aren't they justified to do it?" debate all over again.
                              I think it's a lil old debate, don't you think? I don't know if it worth our minds and brians on it.

Comment

Working...
                              X