X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cotton in Bogu

Hi I asked this question (among the other questions) in another thread but no body answered it, so I took it out as separate one assuming most people have missed this question:

What is the difference of a Bogu made out of say #5000 cotton and #7000 cotton? Is the latter really better than the former?

Try seeing here, this is more about hakama than bogu, but the same applies

Comment

thanks for the link, Lloromannic.

What about your experiences? Surely heavier cotton isn't always better than a lighter one, considering comfort/cost ratio.

Comment

Considering it's subject to being pounded by sticks, heavier is better than lighter. I think most of the better bogu are using 8000 or denser.

Comment

Originally posted by Darknails
          What is the difference of a Bogu made out of say #5000 cotton and #7000 cotton? Is the latter really better than the former?
          I was under the impression that when bogu commercials list the # of the cotton, they are referring to the fabric used for the outermost layer of the futon. The number doesn't imply anything on what lies beneath.

For example, bogu made with seikon #8000 means the outer most layer is indigo-dyed 8000 thread cotton.

YMMV.

Comment

read this link:

http://www.trianglekendoiaido.org/bogue.pdf

Comment

Originally posted by tango
              Ahh.. thanks very much. A very usel document.

Comment

durability i think is main issue, the heaver the cotton the more durable (read: longer it will last) though length is a realtive term dependent on how often you motodachi, how many days per week you practice, how long each practice is etc etc

Comment

Working...
                X