Comments on bogu FAQ

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comments on bogu FAQ

You missed Aoi...and they're Canadian, even. Good stuff, good pricing, excellent service.

What you have there is pretty good. If I may suggest something, maybe you can provide a listing of brick-and-mortar kendo stores in places outside of Japan. I am not entirely sure how feasable of a task it is though.

Comment

I've heard good things about Mori-budo (and not just from Hai_Hai).

Comment

Re stitch width: I have been told by bogu manufacturers that stitch width in machine stitched bogu does not affect cost. IOW it costs them no more in real terms to stitch something to 3mm as opposed to 5 or 6mm. The difference in price should therefore reflect materials used. A narrower gauge of stitches is, in itself, no indicator of quality, e.g compare Chibabogu Mine bogu (approx 6mm?) against, say Kendoshop 2mm. I know which I would buy, and I'm sure the price reflects the difference in quality as well.

Re suppliers: I would have to recommend onlinkendo.com (and declare interest as it was set up by two former students of mine!). Although their spelling is atrocious, they do work very hard to improve their knowledge of bogu, and their overheads are currently very small. Unlike many suppliers who source from retailers such as Koei at a wholesale + price, onlinekendo.com buy their stock direct from the manufacturers AT wholesale price. In many cases the bogu is the same as is supplied to various Japanese and Korean retailers (I've seen the labels of these companies on samples!). Onlinekendo.com's bogu is all made in Shanghai, and they don't hide that fact (I believe there may be one or two Japanese retailers who still represent their bogu as being made in Japan when it is made in China). For beginners and intermediate kendoka, or for a second practice set for sensei, their bogu represents exceptional value for money. Kendoka in our hemisphere shouldn't be adding unnecessarily to CO2 emissions by ordering bogu that has to travel further than necessary.

Comment

Also e-mudo.com.

They are in Piscataway, NJ, so some of us in the metro NY area can actually go and shop in person.

Comment

May I request someone do a similar sticky for iaitos in the iaido section? It's a common topic of discussion there.

Comment

You also didn't mention www.Bogu-zen.com, which has free shipping in the U.S.

BTW, this is a realy good thread, very informative. Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by ahmed61086
                You also didn't mention www.Bogu-zen.com, which has free shipping in the U.S.

BTW, this is a realy good thread, very informative. Thanks.
                Excuse me, its Boguzen.com not Bogu-zen. Sorry.

Comment

Hi Neil,
                  What a great idea. Congrats.
                  My 2 cents:

Under point 18.
                  I suspect that most retailers have spent a great deal of effort evaluating tradeoffs when matching equipment for a set at a specific price/quality point. As a result, it might only make sense to mix and match equipment and build your own set if you decide to buy equipment from more than one retailer: ie the do and tare from one retailer the kote and men from another.

On another issue: a small section on an upgrade path and how to sell/value of old equipment might also be helpful.
                  Thanks again,

Comment

I really enjoyed reading this, thankyou for posting it

I have a quick question that I think you should add. I was wondering about the fading of the bogu. I heard that high quality bogu turns a tealish color when it ages and fades, and it is a sign of experience within the bogu and the person. Is there any way of telling whether your bogu will fade tealish or if it will just fade white or light-blue?

Comment

We need something that advises on the futon quality and deer vs leather vs cotton material on men and kote (not just palm). Peraps also silk treatments. Do you think stitch patterns are too complex and less relevant? There's also been interesting developments in weight (e.g. Mine from Chibabogu). Oh and significance of type/quality of laquer that's applied on doh. One last thing is related to color of bogu and gi/hakama.

I think advice on maintenance and care can be a separate list.
                      Last edited by Ramen; 4th October 2006, 01:33 PM.

Comment

I'm by no means an expert, but isn't a nako the same thing as a kera? It might be useful to add the term in that section to cut down on confusion.

Comment

kera = namako. However I think we should remember this is a bogu BUYING FAQ, not a bogu NAME FAQ. People will have to do a certain amount of their own research.

b

Comment

kera = namako

b

Comment

As a brand new member here, and returning to the arts after more then a dozen years away this is a very nice and worthwhile sticky to have!

Similar ones for each major equipment area would also be nice, well done sir!

Plex

Comment

Working...
                              X