X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• White bogu origins

Hello. My girlfriend will be buying her own bogu within a few moths and she was wondering where white bogu originated, and why it is predominantly associated with female kendoka. Could someone shed some light on that? She's also worried that she'll stand out too much at events, so she's also considering the standard indigo bogu, though she definitely likes the white better. Any comments would be appreciated.

Originally posted by Shinsengumi77 View Post
    Hello. My girlfriend will be buying her own bogu within a few moths and she was wondering where white bogu originated, and why it is predominantly associated with female kendoka. Could someone shed some light on that? She's also worried that she'll stand out too much at events, so she's also considering the standard indigo bogu, though she definitely likes the white better. Any comments would be appreciated.
    The age old response of "ask your sensei" would seem to apply here. What do other women at your girlfriend's dojo wear? If I recall correctly there was a thread some time ago asking the same question. Do a quick search and I'm sure you'll find it.

Comment

If she wants to wear white and is prepared to look after it, then go for it!! You do stand out more, but you get used to it. Im the only person who has white bogu in Australia I believe, and Ive never wished that Id chosen indigo instead. Ask your sensei if he minds her wearing white though, just to be on the safe side.

Comment

Thank you for the reply. I had asked my sensei some time ago (as I wondered myself) and she replied that she didn't really know why, that it was just a tradition thing. She has the usual blue bogu. Also, we are just a small club, and happen to be the only members (my girlfriend, our sensei, and myself) , so we can't make a conclusion based on anyone else's bogu. We've seen women wear both blue and white, though white isn't common. Any other thoughts?

Comment

Thank you as well, Alison. I had told her something similar (get the one you really want; you won't regret it), but it's reassuring to hear others say it too. Our sensei doesn't care what color she gets, so there's no problem there.

But does anyone know why white bogu is more commonly associated with women?

Comment

Why is black commonly associated with funerals? I don't have the whole history, just suffice to say that it is traditional. Here's a few things to consider on the negative side:

1. It's hard to get a good-quality white bogu
            2. White bogu are tough to keep clean
            3. Some people associate white bogu with more casual players and feel serious women wear blue
            4. You'll stand out from the crowd

On the positive side:

1. You'll stand out from the crowd, but in a traditional way
            2. Many people think the white bogu/red doh combination looks really sharp

My feeling is that if she likes the white, she should go for it.

Comment

Originally posted by Neil Gendzwill View Post
              1. It's hard to get a good-quality white bogu
              2. White bogu are tough to keep clean
              3. Some people associate white bogu with more casual players and feel serious women wear blue
              4. You'll stand out from the crowd

On the positive side:

1. You'll stand out from the crowd, but in a traditional way
              2. Many people think the white bogu/red doh combination looks really sharp
              On that note...there's a thread in the women's section detailing how to clean white bogu. Looks to involved and time consuming for me but I'm lazy.

Comment

you only have to do it once or twice a year, its not THAT bad! And this is from me, someone who thinks washing my suped-up-golf-cart of a car is too time consuming!

Comment

Working...
                X