X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• When to buy Bogu

I have been practicing for 6 month now and I am already wearing Hakama and Keikogi. I have been playing with the idea of purchasing a bogu so I asked my sensei when would it be a good time for me to purchase my bogu, his reply was "whenever you want". At the same time other people in my dojo are saying not to rush into bogu.

Please tell me your thought regarding when to buy a bogu.

Also If you can give me your comments on these to bogus that I am looking at:

http://www.e-bogu.com/topqual2mmma.html

http://www.eguchi.net/cart_3mmcomplete.htm

Thanks in advance for the help.
    Last edited by Gaucho; 16th November 2003, 04:25 AM.

bogu is different for every one... different types of bogu fit different people...

i would advise that first you try a geiko by borrowing or renting some bogu from someone..

then you know how it feels, and you'll be able to judge better wether u feel you need to buy a set, and wat you expect in bogu eg. flexibility/sturdiness...

i suggest that for deciding wether you should buy bogu now or later, if you consider kendo a sport that you exercise for fun/excercise, then you should buy bogu now, however if you consider kendo an art where you strive to improve yourself, and learn it as a teaching of life, then wait until your sensei feels you are ready and in need of bogu

also for buying the bogu it depends on how much money you have available, and how much you're willing to spend... but if i had to choose between the two u listed, i would go for the one at e-bogu, its cheaper, looks better, of 1 mm shorter stitching and is hand customized for you...

its all up to u.. nobody can tell you what bogu to buy... (apart from ur sensei :> )

Wish you all the best
    Sungi~

Comment

Originally posted by Gaucho

I have this bogu and it is fantastic. I have been wearing it for 3 years and it is still like new. The do is scuffed up, but that is just from use. I dont know anything about the eguchi bogu, but i would have no problem to recommend the ebogu set.

Comment

I have been practicing for 6 month now and I am already wearing Hakama and Keikogi. I have been playing with the idea of purchasing a bogu so I asked my sensei when would it be a good time for me to purchase my bogu, his reply was "whenever you want". At the same time other people in my dojo are saying not to rush into bogu.

Nothing wrong with E-bogu products. They are good values. However, with Eguchi, you know where the bogu comes from and who makes it, especially since the the 3mm set you're looking at is one of its top products. Eguchi specifically says that the kote in this 3mm set is filled with deer hair. This is one of those things that you don't see mentioned in most other company's bogus, and is one of those things about the bogu that is invisible to consumers and thus easily becomes a "cost-reducing" item.

I note you're in California. If possible, I recommend you go into the Eguchi store and get measured and fitted in person. That is ideally how a bogu should be purchased.

Comment

when to buy bogu?

...buy it when you know that you will be sticking with it for a couple years.

i hate to see folks put down good money on bogu and then never show up at class again. ...hate it for them, i guess...

Comment

If your dojo has bogu to lend or rent, please do that first. So many people (I'd say 90%) quit within 6 months of starting to wear bogu that I always recommend try before you buy. If you can't do that, consider buying an inexpensive set that you can later sell to another beginner or donate to the club when you want to buy your nice set.

Comment

Dear Gaucho,

I think what ur sensei saying is right.u may use bogu anytime.I began to use bogu after 3 months training.Someboday use it after 7 months,some only 1 week.:P It depends on u. Usually we wear bogu after 3 months.That 's a big different feeling to wear bogu or not.Why not try it?

Comment

that's excellent advice, neil!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by tango
                  that's excellent advice, neil!!!!!
                  I've seen one guy show up at our dojo, rush into buying all sorts of stuff, including a nice set of bogu, then stop coming after about 3 practices. He didn't even know how to do kirkaeshi and he thought he was ready for bogu

Comment

Originally posted by Koushinkuma
                    I've seen one guy show up at our dojo, rush into buying all sorts of stuff, including a nice set of bogu, then stop coming after about 3 practices. He didn't even know how to do kirkaeshi and he thought he was ready for bogu
                    Demz da kindz of suckaz dat tinkz Kendoz so eazy, buyz da nice boguz den endz up quittingz becuz deyz getz da rude awakeningz whenz dey do da Kendoz with da Menz on..............

Comment

Originally posted by ALI G
                      Demz da kindz of suckaz dat tinkz Kendoz so eazy, buyz da nice boguz den endz up quittingz becuz deyz getz da rude awakeningz whenz dey do da Kendoz with da Menz on..............
                      Hi Ali G,
                      I really enjoy your fake ghetto talk. It makes people think you are a gansta or something. You are probably white, kind of like Vanilla Ice. He's got a lot of street cred.

Comment

Check out Asian World of Martial Arts www.awma.com for their bogu. It is much cheaper. Why waste all that money? You could buy a set of karate gi for every day of the week so you can walk around town karate chopping everyone in sight. Show them who is the man.

Comment

im in bogu already only after 7 weeks, is this too early? but this is because my sensei said that i was ready, actually i think she was jus rewardin me for comin 7th in the kyu tournament...

Comment

Originally posted by mystic_kendoka
                            im in bogu already only after 7 weeks, is this too early? but this is because my sensei said that i was ready, actually i think she was jus rewardin me for comin 7th in the kyu tournament...
                            Yes. After seven weeks, you really haven't grasped the "honshitstu" of "kendo". I suggest you practice waxing cars to get better. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through the nose, out through the mouth.

Comment

hmm.. rite...

Comment

Working...
                              X