X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kendo shoes - Puma and others

First, if anyone knows where I can buy Puma Kendo Shoes (sneakers inspired by kendo - not training shoes) please let me know. I must have them!
    Link1
    Link2

Second, I'm thinking about experimenting with training shoes for kendo. Athletic tape and wrap sometimes doesn't cut it for sliding. Tabi are nice, but expensive. I'm looking at either Kung Fu shoes (more for outdoor kendo practice) or ballet/modern slippers.

Anybody have experience in this? Thoughts? Note I've been in kendo for about four years, and I know that shoes are not something to be made a habit of. But athletic tape can drag on the ground, I could use dance shoes anyway, and sometimes when dealing with a range of beginner classes, there can be a demand for adequate foot covering when the painful or bloody foot injuries occur.

You really want those 'kendo' shoes? ugh, I know beauty is in the eye of the beholder, but all I am beholding is some fugly shoes.

As for shoes for kendo... I don't know but most sensei won't allow shoes partly due to tradition but also because it puts your aite at risk in keiko. Most foot problems in kendo such as blisters etc are due to improper footwork. As footwork improves, problems go away.

Comment

if you like the shoes because they're called kendo i'm happy to inform you you'll have a lot of models where to choose from...

i present to you... nike kendo:

http://i193.photobucket.com/albums/z...kendo41008.jpg

for the occasional blister a tabi should suffice:

http://www.e-bogu.com/Tabi_Foot_prot...-pro-tabi-.htm

its about the same price as the 'bruce lee kung fu shoes'. and you'll look less 'queerish' than using ballerinas canvas.... aaaaaaaaand tip 1: if you turn it around (inside out) you can use it for either foot. tip 2: pour some drops of coke on the sole for extra grip

cheers.

Comment

just a suggestion

Originally posted by SamuelRiv View Post
        First, if anyone knows where I can buy Puma Kendo Shoes (sneakers inspired by kendo - not training shoes) please let me know. I must have them!
        Link1
        Link2

Anybody have experience in this? Thoughts? Note I've been in kendo for about four years, and I know that shoes are not something to be made a habit of. But athletic tape can drag on the ground, I could use dance shoes anyway, and sometimes when dealing with a range of beginner classes, there can be a demand for adequate foot covering when the painful or bloody foot injuries occur.
        Hi Riviersan, how are you? first off, i got to say... up state NY represent! You guys have an awesome campus, lots of fun up there, lots of cold...

whenever we did had demos outside, we'd wear sandals. "the ones that secure your ankles." if you want to go old school and traditional then i guess go out and try to find some waraji?

however when indoors and practicing with a huge blister that is having a hard time healing due to constant practice. you might want to try taping it up, and the wearing these, instead of shoe:

kendo tabi

lastly here are somethings you may also be interested in, kendo inspired bags:

bag
        backpack
        briefcase

hope this helps, peace.

Comment

I wonder if you have to scrub out salt stains from the shoes or if they'll turn your feet blue.

Comment

I found waraji and many other shoes. But traditional military wear seemed to be the ashinaka.

Anyway, like I said, athletic tape often drags on hardwood. I'd be scared to use sandals on uneven grassy ground - the risk of tripping or losing control seems too great, even though one of our players uses them whenever we practice outside. Tabi would be ideal for indoor use, but they're about twice as expensive as cheap dance shoes. And I'm aware of the "kendo" brand of shoes, which is just stupid. To answer the "hideousness", I've never owned a really artsy-designed pair of shoes before, but these seem too perfect to pass up.

One more scenario - occasionally you get stuck with a really crappy wood floor that isn't suitable for fumikomi (i.e. the fencing room at SU) - it's just way too rigid. Finding something that can effectively soften the impact would be quite useful in that case.

Comment

The tabi Paburo links to at e-bogu are under $12 each, not very expensive. You could buy a few for the club and keep them around to lend when people get injured. I don't like seeing people get in the habit of wearing tabi and/or heel protectors, it just encourages bad habits.

Comment

Hey, I'm getting dance shoes and waraji for half that price - it's a matter of experimentation, anyway. Also, I wouldn't give this to beginners unless they start bleeding on our precious floors. And my blisters come from running - they just tend to bleed during kendo when the skin breaks and then is pulled back off of the blister itself.

And you guys are a bad influence - I just bought waraji and socks. I should have mentioned that I'm a compulsive buyer.

Comment

Originally posted by Paburo View Post
                  That "Black and White Lumber Jack Zoom" number made me nauseous.

Comment

Originally posted by SamuelRiv View Post
                    Link1
                    Link2
                    my buddy in japan has a pair there waiting for me, not sure if he is gonna mail em, or if i'll jsut wait till we meet again this spring. But those particular puma kendo's are the older model. The new one which i'm getting dont have the folding edge, but the back part folds down turning it into a slip on shoe!
                    i have no intention of ever using them for keiko, just think they are a really good looking shoe. And two things i love are fresh kicks and kendo, so they are perfect for me!
                    http://www.new.facebook.com/profile....&id=1350366502

Comment

Originally posted by NigelSponge View Post
                      my buddy in japan has a pair there waiting for me, not sure if he is gonna mail em, or if i'll jsut wait till we meet again this spring. But those particular puma kendo's are the older model. The new one which i'm getting dont have the folding edge, but the back part folds down turning it into a slip on shoe!
                      i have no intention of ever using them for keiko, just think they are a really good looking shoe. And two things i love are fresh kicks and kendo, so they are perfect for me!

Same here . . .
                      I got the newer model, the so called "low" model in blue.
                      I have no intention of using them in keiko,but since I go quite often to the Dojo in hakama & gi,those shoes fit perfectly in my quirky appearance.
                      And,you can fold the back side,and use them as slippers which can come handy on seminars for example.

Comment

Originally posted by samuelriv View Post
                        i found waraji and many other shoes. But traditional military wear seemed to be the ashinaka.

Anyway, like i said, athletic tape often drags on hardwood. I'd be scared to use sandals on uneven grassy ground - the risk of tripping or losing control seems too great, even though one of our players uses them whenever we practice outside. Tabi would be ideal for indoor use, but they're about twice as expensive as cheap dance shoes. And i'm aware of the "kendo" brand of shoes, which is just stupid. To answer the "hideousness", i've never owned a really artsy-designed pair of shoes before, but these seem too perfect to pass up.

One more scenario - occasionally you get stuck with a really crappy wood floor that isn't suitable for fumikomi (i.e. The fencing room at su) - it's just way too rigid. Finding something that can effectively soften the impact would be quite useful in that case.
                        tsuranuki ftw !!!!

Comment

Working...
                        X